• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 137 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
TdF Stage wins since 2008.

40 - France
36 - Germany
34 - Mark Cavendish
20 - Spain
17 - United Kingdom (minus Isle of Man)
15 - Belgium, Australia
13 - Italy, Norway
12 - The Netherlands, Slovakia
9 - Colombia
8 - Slovenia
That is crazy! Think of how many great riders come from these countries listed, and one man is third on the wins list! What were the connections that lead to some of the combining of countries? I have one: the USA and Cav. :p

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Matthews needs to beat him on stage 19 or 21, or hope he disappears on Tuesday. Not going to catch up with intermediates only.
Jus updating. I think Matthews can getter points over him the next two days. Honestly he might gain points 19 as well if Quickstep don’t play for a sprint and Cav is unable to contest but he is making it close. Or Matthews is trying to gain as much over Philipsen as he can in case Cav OTL.

Reactions: jmdirt
Reactions: Red Rick and jmdirt

He wants to ride next year with Quickstep and ride until he isn’t competitive enough to win anymore.

One small problem though, Patrick Lefevere doesn't like to keep riders on board until they're not competitive anymore. He wants them to retire or quit the team before that.
He strong armed Tom Boonen into retirement, he did not want to keep Gilbert after his successes with DQS. Why would he want to keep Cav?

One small problem though, Patrick Lefevere doesn't like to keep riders on board until they're not competitive anymore. He wants them to retire or quit the team before that.
He strong armed Tom Boonen into retirement, he did not want to keep Gilbert after his successes with DQS. Why would he want to keep Cav?

Has there been any indications he won't be competitive next year?

At this level he can be competitive for the next 2-3 years in mid-level races with QS's train.

I still don't think he's facing top-level competition at the Tour but honestly, he's won 'em all, and having a good sprint train and tactics is nearly as important as overall fitness, so by any metric he's the top sprinter in the race by a long shot. I think Ewen would have beaten him but no way would have have gotten through the Alps, let alone Andorra.

At this level he can be competitive for the next 2-3 years in mid-level races with QS's train.

I still don't think he's facing top-level competition at the Tour but honestly, he's won 'em all, and having a good sprint train and tactics is nearly as important as overall fitness, so by any metric he's the top sprinter in the race by a long shot. I think Ewen would have beaten him but no way would have have gotten through the Alps, let alone Andorra.
I think Ewan is the only one with a shout of being faster than Cav at the moment, and Ewan typically wasts roughly 50% of sprints being in poor position anyway, though maybe it would be easier for him just because the DQS train is so dominant.

Don't really know if Ewan would have a big problem with the time limits, his climbing is weirdly up and down.

Likely Ewan would have taken at least one or two wins, I agree. Cavendish is clearly the fastest man in this competition (and I think even without the excellent teamwork), but he doesn't look superhuman like in some earlier Tours. I also don't think Ewan would have won 4 so far, and it seems Cavendish has become relatively stronger as the race goes on, which is something Caleb Ewan has only really shown once in his career if I'm not mistaken.

Points lead down to 37, but best case scenario for Matthews is 2 more intermediates Cav can't make vs 2 more 50 point sprints he should be at so still just a case of finishing the race unless something goes badly wrong.
Unless too big of a group Cav should be at every intermediate sprint now with the peloton, unless he goes for the break tomorrow. Imagine if winning the competition comes from the break he went in earlier.

TRENDING THREADS