• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Remember when...

I seem to remember when Cav dismissed the wins of other sprinters because they were in second / third rate races....

NOW when he wins his "first GC" in a bush league race like Ster ZLM Toer (not one of the high points of the season) he crows, "... this is my first GC win and I'm really, really happy with it,". Sure you are Cav, but its just a cr4ap nothing race! Get over yourself.

All class, all the time.

oh, and "Bob Stapleton and his joyless, soulless evil." Soulless evil? WTF kind of idiotic remark is that?
Bob is not "soulless evil".
THIS
2qxp5dt.jpg

is soulless evil

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
A GC win is a bucket list thing.

My personal thoughts on Cav's climbing: There is a distinct mental element

His 2009 MSR win was 'whilst picking his nose'. I've always understood this to mean he rode the race with no great aspirations of winning and thus was under very little pressure.

Contrast that to this year where he placed immense pressure on himself as the team leader and had made it known that winning MSR in the WC was one of his dreams.

Obviously the parcours and the speed of the racing are important as is Cav's physical form. Hopefully after his flat performance at MSR he has worked out how to remain focused and notruin his chance through nervous energy.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
c&cfan said:
just like boonen is no cancellara..
just like "c'mon ,, boonen cannot make it"

lol... If you go see that thread again, there were many other people who made the same mistake of doubting boonen:rolleyes:
If you really think cav can win a stage ending on a 2.4 km climb, then do so as you wish.
There are many puncheurs out there going for the win, this isn't ster ZLM.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
the lineup is very obvious for me that he will abandon early(two weeks maybe) to concentrate to prepare for the olympics (probably the only chance in his life time):D

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Depends what they do with the route in Rio. Could you imagine how awesome a route finishing up to Vista Chinesa or Cristo Redentor would be? Just the views from the finish:

2220813618_99da1f5d9c_z.jpg

that would be awesome, that is why I am saying this olympics probably is the only chance in Cav's life time, and Cav knows that and that is why he is willing to give away his chips in the tour, there is always tour next year for him to chase green

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
greenedge said:
I think on stage 1 Team Sky should not be working for Cav but to retain a bit of a lead over Cadel and others who might attack.
I would consider stage 1 ( from what it seems ) to be as hard as stage 4 last year.

Maybe Boasson Hagen?

Stages 2,4 and 5 look good for Cav in week 1, but then they have to wait until stage 13 again for another opportunity.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Red Rick said:
What a hero, beating his former teammate coming from an almost beaten position

He proved today he is the best positioner of the sprinters and that can account for a lot when sprinting just asky Greipel.

Greipel though got his tactics spot on asides from failing in acknowledging Cav until it was too late.

Still his pace does seem a bit on the slow side as was expected, as coming from behind Greipel like that he should have been able to beat him by much more than he in fact he did.

Froome19 said:
He proved today he is the best positioner of the sprinters and that can account for a lot when sprinting just asky Greipel.

Greipel though got his tactics spot on asides from failing in acknowledging Cav until it was too late.

Still his pace does seem a bit on the slow side as was expected, as coming from behind Greipel like that he should have been able to beat him by much more than he in fact he did.

Maybe seemed a bit slow given he was coming out of Greipel's slipstream but he would have had to work harder in the run-in to the finish?

I don't think he was holding anything in reserve. He's never shown a penchant for winning by tiny margins when it could have been wider before.

Clearly the reserve was spent at 700m to go when he moved forward. I presume it would have looked much more comfortable if he was on Griepels wheel the whole time.

TRENDING THREADS