• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mark Cavendish pulling a Bos

http://player.nos.nl/index.php/media/play/tcmid/tcm:5-538391/

This is about stage 2. He is cleary trying to pull Rooijakkers off his bike after he incidentally landed in the Cavendish train. Rooijakkers punches him off to get free. And after the stage Cavendish is talking about Rooijakkers who should have respect for others and keeping his hands on the handlebars, wtf?

I was already against Cavendish after the Soler/Giro mishap. But this is unacceptable. And his behaviour afterwards, when Rooijakkers wanted to talk with him the next day, is completely over the line. If the UCI were not hypocrits and threated everybody the same, the should fine/ban Cavendish, like they did with Bos.

The video speaks for itself...
Ridiculous stuff by Cavendish. Absolutly unaccetable.

I don't even want to start on his reaction after the race...
I didn't expect it to be any diffrent though.

In my opinion the guy should be pulled out of the tour.
But your name and what is "good" for the sport protects you in cycling.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

This is about stage 2. He is cleary trying to pull Rooijakkers off his bike after he incidentally landed in the Cavendish train. Rooijakkers punches him off to get free. And after the stage Cavendish is talking about Rooijakkers who should have respect for others and keeping his hands on the handlebars, wtf?

Rather than write without thinking, read and try to understand.
Why start a new topic if “Did anyone see Cav getting blocked – I Didn’t” thread is already talking about this. Think and understand what splitting a train is and why it will cause chaos in the sprint bunch. I thought people on this site would understand - sure you can push in (or in this case get forced in), but get ready to pay the consequences as sprinter have to hold there position.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

This is about stage 2. He is cleary trying to pull Rooijakkers off his bike after he incidentally landed in the Cavendish train.

:confused:

Did you not watch the video that you posted?
Rooijakkers tries to get in the sprint train and Cavendish nudges him in the back to get over. This is pretty common in the peloton, even in a Cat 2 or 3 field. If a rider is getting too close, you push him over. Pretty common stuff, letting him know you are there.

Meanwhile, what Rooijakkers did...really pushing back on Cavendish by what looks like the handlebars, is much more dangerous.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The guy (Cav) has no respect for anyone, is a selfish *** and egomaniac. Never shows respect to opponents and his celebrations are arrogant and disrespectful. Cavendish, learn some class from guys like Hushovd, Freire and Boonen, perhaps take a class on manners!

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
lechia said:
The guy (Cav) has no respect for anyone, is a selfish *** and egomaniac. Never shows respect to opponents and his celebrations are arrogant and disrespectful. Cavendish, learn some class from guys like Hushovd, Freire and Boonen, perhaps take a class on manners!

And do some nose candy while you're at it! :D
Yes, he should learn some class from Boonen.

ndpuck said:

Rooijakkers tries to get in the sprint train and Cavendish nudges him in the back to get over. This is pretty common in the peloton, even in a Cat 2 or 3 field. If a rider is getting too close, you push him over. Pretty common stuff, letting him know you are there.

Meanwhile, what Rooijakkers did...really pushing back on Cavendish by what looks like the handlebars, is much more dangerous.
I identify myself with the Poster better. I sounds silly but nowadays with so many hectic threads I have to pick which ones I read first. Thanks for your feedback.

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
lechia said:

Some of you are such wussies. Because its Cav you'r panties are in a bunch. Skil guy was if anything just as wrong as Cav. And frankly love him or hate him he deserves the respect of the peloton for his RIDING. When did you pu$$ies think bike racing turned into manners class?

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
I was waiting to see if anyone would draw that parallel (justified or otherwise). Doesn't seem to be much outrage over this one though, could it be because the sainted Texan hasn't come out with a pronouncement.

ndpuck said:

Rooijakkers was pushed into the sprint train by Mondory (AG2R) and tried to get out himself, but there was no room (he told the press). So wtf are you talking about. It's no excuse

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
In the same way that the Sainted Texan is allowed to ride in the best place in the pack all day long there is a similar "pecking order" in the run in to a sprint.

Cavendish is the boss when it comes to the sprints, and those on the next level below him (Hushovd, Freire, Farrar, Bennati, Boonen) are in competition to get on his wheel, but rarely seek to actively disrupt the Columbia train and force Cavendish to scrap for his place.

That's the way it works - the more someone wins, the easier the others make it for him (see Lance 99-05)

Everyone knows their place but then suddenly (for whatever reason) in the eyes of Cavendish, a no name from one of the weakest teams in the race suddenly disturbs the way things are supposed to be, and gets reprimanded with a couple of shoves for his troubles. He won't do it again, and the status quo continues.

If it was really such a big issue the other sprinters would be whining about it, but they are on Cavendish's side.

I know the Dutch don't like it (I live in Holland) but this is massively different to a first year road sprinter pulling down the GC leader on the last day of a tour and really hurting the guy.

This is pro cycling - each rider has a level of status - and that status gets you access and privileges in the peloton.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
In the same way that the Sainted Texan is allowed to ride in the best place in the pack all day long there is a similar "pecking order" in the run in to a sprint.

Cavendish is the boss when it comes to the sprints, and those on the next level below him (Hushovd, Freire, Farrar, Bennati, Boonen) are in competition to get on his wheel, but rarely seek to actively disrupt the Columbia train and force Cavendish to scrap for his place.

That's the way it works - the more someone wins, the easier the others make it for him (see Lance 99-05)

Everyone knows their place but then suddenly (for whatever reason) in the eyes of Cavendish, a no name from one of the weakest teams in the race suddenly disturbs the way things are supposed to be, and gets reprimanded with a couple of shoves for his troubles. He won't do it again, and the status quo continues.

If it was really such a big issue the other sprinters would be whining about it, but they are on Cavendish's side.

I know the Dutch don't like it (I live in Holland) but this is massively different to a first year road sprinter pulling down the GC leader on the last day of a tour and really hurting the guy.

This is pro cycling - each rider has a level of status - and that status gets you access and privileges in the peloton.

Great post, I agree its common sense and professional courtesy to get out of the way of a sprinter if you are a mug, after all 2 sprinters would race head first into a concrete wall if there was a chance of winning.

But I think in this case he thoughthe had a chance so should have been allowed to go for it.

His form reads like a race horse, look at those numbers, he is odds on for a stage win if he can do his best.

2009. Skil-Shimano
3e du Prologue du Ster Elektrotoer (6,9 km)
5e du Ster Elektrotoer
6e une étape du Tour Méditerranéen
10e du Tour Méditerranéen

2008. Skil-Shimano
1er une étape CLM par équipes du Brixia Tour (12,3 km, Brescia)
5e du Grand Prix de Clôture
7e du Ster Elektrotoer, une étape CLM du Tour de l’Ain (7,3 km)
10e de l’Eneco Tour
13e de la Vatenfall Classic

2007. Skil-Shimano
5e des Quatre Jours de Dunkerque, du Tour de Grande-Bretagne
12e de l'Eneco Tour
13e du Tour du Qatar
16e de la Vatenfall Cyclassic

2006. Skil-Shimano
5e du Championnat des Pays-Bas
6e du Tour de Houtland
8e une étape du Ster Elektrotoer
9e du Tour du Danemark
11e du Tour de Grande-Bretagne
14e du Ster Elektrotoer

2005. Axa
1er une étape de l'Olympia's Tour (Ossendrecht)
4e de la Ronde d'Overijssel
9e du Ster Elektrotour
10e du Tour de Nord-Holland, de Omloop Wase-Scheldeboorden

2004. Löwik Meubelen
2e de la Ronde d'Overijsel
6e de l'Olympia Tour
9e de Hel van Het Mergelland
11e du Championnat des Pays-Bas

2003. Débuts pros chez Löwik Meubelen
2e de la Ronde d'Overijsel
5e une étape de l'Olympia's Tour

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:

All true. But picking on the little guy after the stage on twitter? Giving him a tap on the helmet when he wants to speak to you? That's just pathetic. The Soler incident at the giro also proved he thinks he's the only one allowed to use the road. Especially with the status he has he should know better.

He chose his book-title right, he's still just a boy. With an awesome sprint.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
mickkk said:
His form reads like a race horse, look at those numbers, he is odds on for a stage win if he can do his best.

/s?

he wasn't there for himself but for a guy who won 5 races so far this year. small difference.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I will somewhat agree with the pecking order argument...however, I think it is bunk to say that Rooijakkers is in the wrong here. He was forced into the Columbia line and had nowhere to go. I also don't like the insinuation that he shouldn't be up there in the sprint finals.....the Skillers do have van Hummel who can sprint with the best of them. Cavs comment that "he should just be happy to be here" is also very condescending. All in all a non issue...it is funny though how it is always Cav who has problems with everyone? Racing is Racing.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
To break into the club you have to win. To win you have to have balls and actually get a win. Easiest first win is to be a dark horse. He showed that in the race and after when he went to confront Cavendish. Thats also good psychology IMO.

Word will get around that Cavendish hid in his van, could make for some fireworks later on!

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Cavendish riding

Maybe Mark has a bit to learn on after-race speaking, but he's only young. You can't, however, teach him mush about sprinting. And the big lesson - NEVER MESS WITH A MANXMAN

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Nigel Dean said:
Maybe Mark has a bit to learn on after-race speaking, but he's only young. You can't, however, teach him mush about sprinting. And the big lesson - NEVER MESS WITH A MANXMAN

you mean because he will go straight to the press and cry about it?

what a girl!

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
.it is funny though how it is always Cav who has problems with everyone? Racing is Racing.

Actually it seems like everyone HERE always has problems with Cav. I think most of you seem more interested in watching reality TV than a bike race. Racing is racing....but some people HERE think racing is manners class.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Exactly snake...what is your point? To me the point you make is that Cav is the one who can't handle tough riders making their way in the peleton. He is the one crying to the press...and if I'm not mistaken he called out the wrong rider the first time...saying van Hummel was the rider. WRONG...keep to sprinting and STFU!!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ndpuck said:

bull****. Rooijakkers has Cioleks wheel. perfectly behind it. Your focus should be the wheel PR is following, the light blue Milram jersey of Ciolek.

No way was PR shifting on Cav. the C-HTC train were moving too close, Cav should have taken a wide berth. PR was not in the wrong.

TRENDING THREADS