• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

mass repartition between rear and front wheel

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I am seeking information re. the mass repartition between rear and front wheel and how it is changed by the position (triathlon handlebar) and the slope during climbs.
Thanks and ride smart :)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
GregCH said:
I am seeking information re. the mass repartition between rear and front wheel and how it is changed by the position (triathlon handlebar) and the slope during climbs.
Thanks and ride smart :)

Ok and the point of this thread is what? That you read something? What is repartition?

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Mass/weight distribution?

I think the OP meant Mass(weight) distribution.

I think the standard distribution mentioned is approx 60% rear wheel, 40% front wheel.

With an aero bar set-up the weight distribution should be similar because although the bike will have a steeper seat-tube angle & the rider will be in a more 'forward' position, the distance between the bottom bracket & the steerer axis should be increased. That is one reason why putting aero bars on a road bike is a compromise.

Jun 5, 2009
Visit site
Dl9999

And with increasing upward gradient the weight will shift more and more to the rear wheel. At very steep gradients nearly all the weight will be applied to the rear wheel. At gradients of 90° and greater there will be no weight acting on either wheel.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Mass repartition is defined as follows:

Take the riders weight (W) multiply by the mass of the total frame (TF) multiply by the inverse dampening equation (id.E) multiplied by the overall temperature (OT}.

The whole equation is expressed as:

W.TF id.E OT.