• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Massive "Pharmstrong" banner for the Tour Down Under???

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
In relation to Michael Vick, he was caught, fessed up pretty quickly and early into the trial process I believe and presented himself to jail early, wothout too much in the way of self pity. I can't see too many of the potential defendants manning up to their crimes in the same manner.

Animal cruelty cannot be condoned, but as a couple of folk have said, the length of his sentance related more to his race than the crime its self. He also paid reperations to the tune of $250k+ A pretty tough fine in effect. Anyone else been fined that sort of money for a simular crime?

With regards him getting back to the obscene salery etc, I believe his initial contract after release was not much above the NFL minimum. He also had filed for insolvency during his incarceration so his fall was pretty complete.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Just paint on it FREE DRUGS FOR EVERYONE because that is the only way it is fair. They will never catch these guys WADA .UCI spend $10 million on catching them and they spend $20 million on ways to avoid detection .

So let Armstrong go about raising money for the flood victims at least that will save us some.

Take the drugs and whipe themselves out quickly. there is life when pro cycling is over.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Ecowarrior18 said:
In relation to Michael Vick, he was caught, fessed up pretty quickly and early into the trial process I believe and presented himself to jail early, wothout too much in the way of self pity. I can't see too many of the potential defendants manning up to their crimes in the same manner.

Animal cruelty cannot be condoned, but as a couple of folk have said, the length of his sentance related more to his race than the crime its self. He also paid reperations to the tune of $250k+ A pretty tough fine in effect. Anyone else been fined that sort of money for a simular crime?

With regards him getting back to the obscene salery etc, I believe his initial contract after release was not much above the NFL minimum. He also had filed for insolvency during his incarceration so his fall was pretty complete.

Micheal Vick saw what he could do with a plea bargain. That is it. Smart man, but he hurt defenseless dogs.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
There's so little worldwide TV coverage of the race. You'd have to pick a televised portion of a televised stage, and you still probably wouldn't make it on the air. You wouldn't change the opinions one way or another of the fans on the road with you - you might just ruin the experience for some who are there to enjoy the race. So really you're just hoping Lance will look that direction and not be talking to someone the other direction.

Do what you want, but hopefully Sports Illustrated will get the job done.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
How about this from the ToC?

25zlegy.jpg

Betsy - 1
Lance -0

And she is about to start running up the score

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
ClappinCheeks said:
I live in Adelaide

Would i be a massive tool if i got a white king sized bed sheet
and wrote "Lance Pharmstrong" and then drew a picture under it of Lance in jail cell?

*** edited by mod ***

I would put this banner up in a highly visible position out in the hills, away from the crowds of nut huggers so they won't attempt to take it down or heckle me. I don't think i could get told off by police or TDU organizers/employees as long as i don't write anything too offensive.

Advice and suggestions on what to write and how to do this would be appreciated.

My suggestion would be to downscale on size, king size bed sheet way too big ... but go for much better positioning with a smaller sign. Just over the top of Wilunga would be ideal when the cameras are zooming in on the chase.

Try something funny but still to the point, it will make you look less of a hater but still hit a nerve with Pharmstong gropies, much like the guy in the yellow and black with the syringe.

I'm sure we can come up with a good phrase between us.

Amusing idea. I do agree if you're going to do it, it should be black with yellow lettering to look like the Livestrong brand. And at least a king-sized sheet, minimum.

As to Vick, the crimes are not comparable. What he did was reprehensible. He did however do his time, and confessed. He still admits everything he did when speaking about it, and is now doing all he can to make amends. He screwed up big time, and paid for it, but I don't know what more anyone could ask him to do at this point? You can't ask that same question about Lance and get the same answer. He remains in total denial and aggressive towards those who seek the truth.

Also, Vick isn't making huge money. He's was signed to the NFL veterans minimum pay by the Eagles. Making much less than Kevin Kolb, or other bench warming QB's around the league like Dan Orlovsky, Cade McCown, or Charlie Whitehurst. Yes, it was still something like $1.6 million total last year, a bit more this year, and he will get a larger contract soon enough because he played very well this year, but it's not like he came right back and was signed a Peyton Manning Tom Brady sized contract. Or QB's like Donovan McNabb or Eli Manning, who both stank this year, yet "earned" over $20 million.

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
orbis_25 said:
Some people will be outraged that their hero has been desecrated by you, and will chase you down to shout that Lance is a god. A GOD! Others will find it hilarious, especially when the Lance fanboys show up (and they will, no matter how isolated a spot you think you've found). I say do it.

i was thinking about recruiting a crew so angry Lance fans won't try to mess with my banner. I'm bringing 2 of my good mates, usually we all wear slim fit shirts but we'll probably all be rockin xxl shirts or wife beaters so people will probably get intimidated and think twice about approaching us.

ClappinCheeks said:
i was thinking about recruiting a crew so angry Lance fans won't try to mess with my banner. I'm bringing 2 of my good mates, usually we all wear slim fit shirts but we'll probably all be rockin xxl shirts or wife beaters so people will probably get intimidated and think twice about approaching us.

Make sure you get this guy:

56893-4108.gif

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
ClappinCheeks said:
I live in Adelaide

Would i be a massive tool if i got a white king sized bed sheet and wrote "Lance Pharmstrong" and then drew a picture under it of Lance in jail cell?

*** edited by mod ***

I would put this banner up in a highly visible position out in the hills, away from the crowds of nut huggers so they won't attempt to take it down or heckle me. I don't think i could get told off by police or TDU organizers/employees as long as i don't write anything too offensive.

Advice and suggestions on what to write and how to do this would be appreciated.

Are Mick Rogers and Rory Sutherlands' names going above or below PHARMSTRONGS'. Also does the Aussie flag go above or below on your banner? Just sayin as I believe in transparancy......

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Are Mick Rogers and Rory Sutherlands' names going above or below PHARMSTRONGS'. Also does the Aussie flag go above or below on your banner? Just sayin as I believe in transparancy......

And you expect people to believe that?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Whatever the OP decides to do - or write on his banner, I don't think it would get on tv, I think several aussie posters have pointed out how Pro-Armstrong the press is here. Yellow t-shirts, with Pharmstrong on them would be fun if you could get enough people to wear them.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
And you expect people to believe that?

Rory has already done a 2 year vacation. No problem with that for me, hey he is the best domsetic pro in my country. Mick never doped nah.

I will cheer them both on in the ToC, out of respect for them as athletes.

No time to be a hater!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ClappinCheeks said:
I live in Adelaide

Would i be a massive tool if i got a white king sized bed sheet and wrote "Lance Pharmstrong" and then drew a picture under it of Lance in jail cell?

if you do it, make sure to take some pics or shoot some DVD, get some mates to help.

the Aussie media might ignore it but the Yank media might not. the Europeans will like it and some photographers will shoot it for their archive''s for when the Fed's case starts so do a good job.

i'd go with the simple but effective LIESTRONG, yellow lettering on black as big as possible..

goodluck

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
ClappinCheeks said:
I live in Adelaide

*** edited by mod ***

not so much a tool but a loser with no life and too much time on there hands. go do some charity work or something useful with your time you guys are like little passive agressive children.