• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mauri Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Way too soon for that imho. He's had an amazing opening of the season. But there's plenty more to prove in order to go to the Olympics, than a win in a 1.pro race and a good showing in Provence, imho. If he can keep this form up through the summer, then i'd certainly consider him. He does have the traits of what you would look for in a climbing domestique. He climbs effortlessly (i'm not talking about his style), will have no issues riding for Evenepoel, and he seems to be a tough cookie that doesn't crack.

But there might also be some guys who are working towards the later part of the season. Van Wilder is working towards the Vuelta, and hasn't even raced this year yet. I wouldn't be surprised if by that time, he will be the young gun with the better form. And surely there are other riders still.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Who would be the Belgians for that Olympic course anyway? Seems a few people don't see it as much as a climber's course like I would do?
Other than Evenepoel and van Aert, i would think about Benoot, Teuns, Wellens, De Gendt (who will never be selected, but hey, i'd consider him) who are all good on all terrain, possibly Vanhoucke, Vansevenant and Van Wilder (if he can show what i think he will show) who are more climbers (though Van Wilder is also an elite TT'er).

The problem is, Benoot, Teuns, Wellens... i'm not sure they will fit the role of domestique. Else, you could consider guys like Serry, Devenyns... who would die on the bike in order to help Evenepoel.

Other than Evenepoel and van Aert, i would think about Benoot, Teuns, Wellens, De Gendt (who will never be selected, but hey, i'd consider him) who are all good on all terrain, possibly Vanhoucke, Vansevenant and Van Wilder (if he can show what i think he will show) who are more climbers (though Van Wilder is also an elite TT'er).
Devenyns and De Plus are very good options as well. I guess Van Avermaet is a candidate as well, but I wouldn't take him.

Devenyns and De Plus are very good options as well. I guess Van Avermaet is a candidate as well, but I wouldn't take him.
Completely forgot about De Plus... i guess it's been too long since i saw him shine. Obviously, he would be one of the first picks in case he's on form. I had already edited my post to include Devenyns and Serry.

Last edited:
The problem is, Benoot, Teuns, Wellens... i'm not sure they will fit the role of domestique. Else, you could consider guys like Serry, Devenyns... who would die on the bike in order to help Evenepoel.
Benoot actually did good work for van Aert in last year's WC. I completely agree with the other 2. Devenyns I'd always take. One of the best domestiques in the peloton in my eyes.

Benoot actually did good work for van Aert in last year's WC. I completely agree with the other 2. Devenyns I'd always take. One of the best domestiques in the peloton in my eyes.

I though Devenyns asked not to be selected for the World Champs last year in Imola as he said he couldn't ride against Alaphilippe? I imagine if Julian is riding the Olympics then he won't be up for selection again

• Wow
Really talented guy but his riding style is offensive. I never get why anybody would anybody move his upperbody that much while cycling. I mean when you are in absolute all out V02 max territory and u are about to fall of your bike maybe, but he does it when he his riding at his ftp and I guess even below.
It's riding without dignity for me, something comparable to a soccer player rolling on the group dying of pain after a minor foul. A drama queen on 2 wheels.

• Wow
Really talented guy but his riding style is offensive. I never get why anybody would anybody move his upperbody that much while cycling. I mean when you are in absolute all out V02 max territory and u are about to fall of your bike maybe, but he does it when he his riding at his ftp and I guess even below.
It's riding without dignity for me, something comparable to a soccer player rolling on the group dying of pain after a minor foul. A drama queen on 2 wheels.

1: I think some riders can't really help that their upperbodies move a lot when they ride.
2: If it works...

WTF, the guy simply likes climbing on the tunes of Staying Alive.

TRENDING THREADS