• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Mavic Cosmic Pro Rim Separation

Jul 18, 2021
Visit site
Hi there,

Whilst doing a bit of random rear wheel squeezing today, I noticed that the 'aero' part of the rim profile has separated from the brake track part.

This affects about 1/8th of the wheel, and if I squeeze hard the parts separate by 2-3mm. I haven't noticed any performance issues, and am not sure when/how this occurred so could have been riding like this for months... The wheels have done approx 10,000 km

My question is... is it sensible to attempt to repair these? It would be relatively straightforward to line the gap with carbon adhesive. I'd be concerned I may be creating a weakpoint which could lead to some kind of failure over time however... Otherwise I'll be looking for a new wheelset.

Any thoughts/experience welcome!

Thanks,