• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mavic Tires

I'm posting this here because I have a dual problem.. I have been using two wheel sets ,one w the Mavic hospitality tires 23's that came with the bike.. they were ok , light and lasted for decent milage..my other wheels had Continental Gatorskin Hardshell 23's.. both sets of tires are toast.. I have two questions.. is there anything else besides the Gatorskins that is decent against punctures and doesn't feel dead?
Second is there benefit going to a 25? I have read about rolling resistance, but I am most interested in having as few flats as possible..
A pair looks to be@90-100 dollars.. that is about the most I like to spend on non- racing tires.. thanks for any feedback.. I ride mostly on dry roads ..

Re:

Unchained said:
I'm posting this here because I have a dual problem.. I have been using two wheel sets ,one w the Mavic hospitality tires 23's that came with the bike.. they were ok , light and lasted for decent milage..my other wheels had Continental Gatorskin Hardshell 23's.. both sets of tires are toast.. I have two questions.. is there anything else besides the Gatorskins that is decent against punctures and doesn't feel dead?
Second is there benefit going to a 25? I have read about rolling resistance, but I am most interested in having as few flats as possible..
A pair looks to be@90-100 dollars.. that is about the most I like to spend on non- racing tires.. thanks for any feedback.. I ride mostly on dry roads ..

Yes. Tubeless. End of. You'll still get punctures but you won't need to stop and fix them. Schwalbe One Pro are about the best. Hutchinson Sectors are very tough and roll fairly well. I've not used Gators for a decade. Dreadful in wet and ice.

Second question: wider tyres permit lower pressures and more cushioning. It is pretty much accepted that you'll go faster if you can roll smoothly over rough surfaces. Factor in tubeless and you won't get pinch flats so in sloppy conditions you can take the pressure down and get more traction.

Re:

Unchained said:

First I'd certainly use 25(or 28mm if they fit)...and then use less air for a more comfy ride.
Conti GP 4 season are a good alternative for a 'racy' feeling tire with decent flat protection.

A gent above recommends tubeless..DON'T use a tubeless tire on a non tubeless rim tho...asking for a tire to come off while riding it.

TRENDING THREADS