• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

May 1 - 50th Rund um den Finanzplatz Eschborn-Frankfurt (1.1)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Degenkolb didn't hit the front until 10m to go, very well timed kick.

Hard to know how Matthews would have gone had he not been boxed in, he certainly wasn't struggling to hold wheels.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Degenkolb's not going to have hair for long.

Anyway, was the national German team in any way connected to the team at the WC? I mean, was there any reason why they would work for Hondo?

bad they have greipel

hrotha said:
Degenkolb's not going to have hair for long.

Anyway, was the national German team in any way connected to the team at the WC? I mean, was there any reason why they would work for Hondo?

They probably wanted to give the German pros (and 1 mountain biker apparently) from the teams that weren't riding a chance.

Hondo was on paper the fastest out of Nerz, Burghardt and himself (didn't see anyone else in the group).

roundabout said:
They probably wanted to give the German pros (and 1 mountain biker apparently) from the teams that weren't riding a chance.

Hondo was on paper the fastest out of Nerz, Burghardt and himself (didn't see anyone else in the group).
No, what I mean is, why would any of those guys work for someone who is not actually a teammate?

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Degenkolb just passed his audition to be Cav's 3rd string lead-out man.

It looks like Cav thinks so too

Well the young powerhouse John Degenkolb has won Frankfurt. Good job lad. Legend. Would like to say I helped, but i very much did not..

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
My suspicion is Cav came on the off-chance he remembered how to climb again, but Degankolb was the card they expected to play in the final.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Hopefully this finishes before Liberty gets back and tells us all we should be ashamed of ourselves for watching a sprint.

The reason I like this race (other than nostalgia of course) is that the route makes it uncertain what kind of race will unfold. You could get a solo or small group (Wegmann's first win was in a two-up sprint, for example), or a sprint from a reduced group. Surprised at the size of the péloton today, but if the sprinters can make it over the obstacles to the finish they deserve the chance to duke it out.

Bala Verde said:
Clean sprint, good win, great stream. All in all, nicely organized, good event.

It's probably Germany's best event at the moment. Well run, good startlist, tradition and the support of the city, good route (could do with only the one loop of the finishing circuit to bring the Mammolshain a bit closer to the finish imo though), and that the coverage gives us the entire race is a definite plus - very professional and well-organised.

At last year's race we got Patrik Sinkewitz (At the time without a team) riding ahead of the bunch solo for the TV coverage to talk about the route and show the suffering - one of the things that made me like him.

will10 said:
My suspicion is Cav came on the off-chance he remembered how to climb again, but Degankolb was the card they expected to play in the final.

Last year their two-pronged attack was Martin and Greipel. Martin wasn't on form, and was drawn out of the péloton early by Milram, which forced him to do far more work early on than he would have liked. Greipel got dropped on Feldberg and dragged back, then dropped on Mammolshain for good. The whole HTC team tried to pace him back but gave up and ended up being pulled off the course on the closing circuit as they were being lapped.

This year they learnt from that mistake - they have a frontline sprinter (Cavendish) just in case, but if he's dropped on the climbs there is a plan B - a fast man who can get over some climbs. It worked well for them today. I think a smaller bunch may have had them scrabbling for a way to get Albasini or Bak to win, but there were enough people in the group that Degenkolb was in one of the box seats.

TRENDING THREADS