• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

May 1st, Tour de Romandie Stage 5: Champagne - Geneve, 164.6km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 27, 2010
Visit site
bettiniphoto_0073949_1_full_600-300x185.jpg

watch out next fish the dauphine libere!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
@dlwssonic
for evans sake, and the tour I hope not.
Better he rides a conservative ride, and keeps his best for the tour.
Too bad he will get owned by gesink in the real mountains. :D

so yeah your right, he may as well go for dauphine :p

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
@dlwssonic
for evans sake, and the tour I hope not.
Better he rides a conservative ride, and keeps his best for the tour.
Too bad he will get owned by gesink in the real mountains. :D

so yeah your right, he may as well go for dauphine :p

he seems to want to compete in every race he enters so he has a good chance at the dauphine. nah not gesink, he will probably be par with gesink in the mountains. To be honest andy schleck will trash them.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
he seems to want to compete in every race he enters so he has a good chance at the dauphine. nah not gesink, he will probably be par with gesink in the mountains. To be honest andy schleck will trash them.

Gesink, in the past has been a better climber then evans, so if he gets his form right for july I don't think he will have much trouble beating evans, who has never bee good enough in the real mountains of a GT. Already at vuelta 09' gesink was owning evans. Obviously he will have to ride a lot better then recently tho. But the reason for his form has been discussed to death in other threads, no need to discuss it more. Plus I was just kidding/trolling with my post :p

I've said for a long time, evans is better on the short punchy climbs. He should have concentrated on classics more throughout his career.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Gesink, in the past has been a better climber then evans, so if he gets his form right for july I don't think he will have much trouble beating evans, who has never bee good enough in the real mountains of a GT. Already at vuelta 09' gesink was owning evans. Obviously he will have to ride a lot better then recently tho. But the reason for his form has been discussed to death in other threads, no need to discuss it more. Plus I was just kidding/trolling with my post :p

I've said for a long time, evans is better on the short punchy climbs. He should have concentrated on classics more throughout his career.

yea evans is good diesel engine for those short steep climbs, but he has become better at it the past few years. if evans peaks well he should be able to hang in there with the other favorites. but not andy schleck and contador.
gesink is a better Timetrialer now, his climbing has seemed to deproved this year. But hopefully its the result of his form

dlwssonic said:

This has always been one of his biggest problems. It's one of the things that has won him many fans, but has also harmed his palmarès as he's often been in his peak form at the wrong time for his big targets (think 2009 where he rode himself silly trying to drop Valverde in the Dauphiné, then was horrendously off form even before he got ill in the Tour), or expended in energy in comparatively meaningless events. Valverde always used to do the Tour and Vuelta. It was only when he was barred from the Tour that he actually managed to win the Vuelta. Contador, however, has podiumed the Dauphiné twice in a row (not that he didn't try to win in 2010), but riding at less than peak form. If Cadel wins the Dauphiné I'd worry for his Tour chances.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
This has always been one of his biggest problems. It's one of the things that has won him many fans, but has also harmed his palmarès as he's often been in his peak form at the wrong time for his big targets (think 2009 where he rode himself silly trying to drop Valverde in the Dauphiné, then was horrendously off form even before he got ill in the Tour), or expended in energy in comparatively meaningless events. Valverde always used to do the Tour and Vuelta. It was only when he was barred from the Tour that he actually managed to win the Vuelta. Contador, however, has podiumed the Dauphiné twice in a row (not that he didn't try to win in 2010), but riding at less than peak form. If Cadel wins the Dauphiné I'd worry for his Tour chances.

yea true. but why was he so terrible in the 2009 tour de france. what was the cause. was it only his poor form? sorry because my first cycling race was the 2009 tour de france and I didnt know a **** about it. the only person i knew was lance and the only race i knew was the tour de france.

on3m@n@rmy said:
It has been a while since Oscarito has beat out an elite field of sprinters isn't it?
Indeed, which is something I've been trying to point out quite a while now.

But everytime I get replies like "But he won (INSERT 260KM RACE WITH HILLS HERE) against good sprinters, so he isn't slow".
Or "But he won (INSERT RACE WITH VERY HILLY PROFILE) against some good sprinters".
Or "But he had his best ardennes campaign ever, so he isn't getting worse", etcetera.

While all I've been trying to say that in top speed, he's nowhere near his old self anymore and already has trouble beating second string sprinters. Which was again proven today.

Then again, lately I'm wondering if there are even some top sprinters besides Cavendish. Because I'm seeing Farrar, Greipel and Petacchi beaten by Guardini (most notably) and now even Van Hummel for crying out loud

May 20, 2010
Visit site
superconfex said:
it was...but did wiggo help out after his rollocking from yates?? i didn't see him

I think Wiggins wa 4th man and puled off at 2km to go and I think looked chase down Vino when he attacked as well.

no doubt oscarito lacks his old speed. when he won M-SR last year and P-T his wins were just following the wheel of some1 till the last 50 meters where he used his still decent kick to get over them ofc that will never work on a 200k long flat stage. so his chances of winning a mass sprint are pretty much none this days, even with his amazing positioning skills. still you can never discount oscarito for a 260k race with some hills and a though sprint in it.

i would really really love to see him wining this years worlds and get his forth. he deserves it because he is an absolute natural on long though races.

p.s. i thinking being one of the most loved guys in the peloton by the fans (dunno about the riders) makes it hard for the fans to admit that he is slowly fading away with age, it does for me(i admit i edited the pcm db to increase his decline age XD)

jens_attacks said:
yeah gotta admire cadel's superfast recovery.he definitely looks better and better for le tour.
vino did ok though.i mean even the itt was very good.

I'm hoping Vino is his old self at the Tour. I think he will try all kinds of things. The Tour NEEDS someone like him to stir up the pot and put some pressure on other contenders who are content to wait things out.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
I'm hoping Vino is his old self at the Tour. I think he will try all kinds of things. The Tour NEEDS someone like him to stir up the pot and put some pressure on other contenders who are content to wait things out.

yeah. couldn't agree more.
i don't like him as a a person, but i admire, highly respect and enjoy his aggressive and risky way of riding, fighting and attacking.

TRENDING THREADS