• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mayweather v Pacquiao bout off

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
NEW YORK (Reuters) – The WBO welterweight title bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao next March will not go ahead due to the American's demands for Olympic-style dope testing procedures, promoter Bob Arum said on Wednesday.

Arum, who represents the Filipino champion, said using blood tests for the highly anticipated fight on March 13 was unprecedented for professional fights in Las Vegas.

"As far as I'm concerned, the fight is off," Arum told Reuters in a telephone interview. "We don't object to more extensive drug testing, even though it's certainly not required in Nevada.

"What we're saying is that the drug testing he is proposing is intrusive and would disturb Pacquiao's training if it's done within 30 days of his fight."

Pacquiao had agreed to have blood taken for testing before the initial media conference and after the fight but would not agree to have blood drawn within 30 days of the bout.

Mayweather v Pacquiao bout off says promoter

I am perplexed as to who is the bad guy here is it Mayweather for wanting testing or Pacquiao for not wanting to be tested.

Based on the myriad of excuses (only before the press conference and after the fight; no tests within 30 days of fight; no tests 48 hours in advance of the fight; $10MM penalty if Pacquiao is found to have used PEDs (but only Nevada pre/post fight urine tests), I'd say Team Pacquiao.

If he's clean, then random testing conducted by the USADA or WADA should be a non-issue. An inconvenience at best. Especially when there is a $40MM (potential) pay day on the table.

Pacquiao is da man. I love that guy, but he should not fight Mayweather. He has already gone up enough in weight. He should concentrate on people around his natural weight for a while. I would not be surprised if Team Pacman is looking for any excuse to not make the fight.

Pro boxing is as dirty as anything when it comes to doping. I would be surprised if any of the top fighters are clean. It is the ideal sport for drugs. Competition is infrequent. Top fighters often sit around, doing nothing for long periods of time then do intensive training for a few months before a fight. Guys who are supposed to fight at 140 walk around at 180.

Fernando Vargas was busted for steroids awhile back. Mosley was a client of BALCO.

Could you imagine if a professional cyclist said this:

Manny will submit to as many random urine tests requested," Arum said. "Regarding the blood tests, he will subject himself to three tests -- one given in January during the week the fight is formally announced, one 30 days from the fight, no later than Feb. 13, and the final one immediately following the fight, in Manny's locker room.

Oh, okay Manny. ;)

Floyd has the high ground on this one:

We're sticking to what we've been saying," Ellerbe said. "Manny Pacquiao or any of his representatives are not going to dictate random testing. That's the whole point of random testing, so you don't get a chance to study for the test. USADA is the premiere agency for doing this, the gold standard. They're not going to have Top Rank, Mayweather Promotions or Golden Boy Promotions dictate to them. It's pretty simple. Manny Pacquiao can put an end to this whole thing by stepping up to the plate and doing this."

Pacquiao's side is in the wrong here. There may have been wiggle room, but they instead just called it off. One of their excuses was that Manny doesn't like needles and is superstitious. Oh, okay. Still, I don't think it has anything to do with fear. There must be something else invovled here.

Agree with BroDeal otherwise.

One thing, MMA may be even more doped than boxing for the same reasons. The best example may be Royce Gracie - who most people thought to be a "good guy" testing positive for Nandrolone after a fight in California last year and being 10x over the maximum assumed for a healthy male. "Beyond registry" on the initial testing equipment. :eek:

Tim Sylvia and Josh Barnett also popped positive, and at least had the guts to admit it. ...Until Barnett tested positive a second time, and kept silent this time around.

unsheath said:
Doubt Manny is looking for a way out. He's never dodged a soul. PBF on the other hand.

If he's not looking for a way out, then agree to
random testing and let's get ready to rumble! The fact that his team is throwing out such bs (he doesn't like needles but has tatoos; no blood tests because they weaken him, only 3 tests at a known time) makes it look like they have something to hide.

Floyd, on the other hand, has agreed to all of Manny's demands. Certainly doesn't sound like a man who is dodging the biggest potential payday of his career.

unsheath said:
Doubt Manny is looking for a way out. He's never dodged a soul. PBF on the other hand.

Pacquiao has a lot to lose in a bout with Mayweather. He could fight people at his natural weight for the few years and retire a legend. He is at a big disadvantage to PBF. PBF is naturally bigger and faster. He is a peerless technician. I don't rate Manny's chances highly even though I would love to see that punk Mayweather his @ss kicked. A better strategy for Team Pacquiao is to delay the fight a couple of years; a loss of speed from age will affect PBF more than Manny. Pacman is such an exciting fighter that he can make up for the money left on the table for the Mayweather bout by fighting several lesser fighters.

If he wants another big fight soon then he should fight Shane Mosley, who wants the fight. Mosley does not look as good as he was a few years ago. Manny handled Cotto well; he can handle Mosley. Even though the Mosley fight is a dangerous one for Pacquiao, Manny has a better chance of success than with Mayweather. Plus Mosley won't have any issues with drug testing because he is as likely to be caught as Pacquiao.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
The ultimate call-out, fight me clean.

Boxing is so incestuous. It's logical to assume the Mayweather camp knows what Pacquiao's camp means when they say "training camp is going really well."

For Pacquiao to want no testing immediately ahead of the fight or know when tests are coming (read not researched) is obviously ridiculous.

I'm really happy to see a PED controversy reported in another sport. The MSM sports machine is more than happy to worship $$$ and accept guys hitting 70+ home runs, soccer players with unlimited stamina, swimmers with veritable fins, etc. and then pull a Captain Renault "shocked to find gambling."

Unfortunately, boxing seems to have earned the right to be ridiculous, so I think this one will just get chalked up to "ahhh that just boxing" and the fight will go on eventually. There's way too much $$$ in a Pac-Floyd super fight to let it pass.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Manny will submit to as many random urine tests requested," Arum said. "Regarding the blood tests, he will subject himself to three tests -- one given in January during the week the fight is formally announced, one 30 days from the fight, no later than Feb. 13, and the final one immediately following the fight, in Manny's locker room.

This is sufficient enough tests, I think.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Apparently you aren't very familiar with how doping works. If they know when the tests may be conducted, they can make sure they are clean....

Yeah, I do know that. But how long does it take to "clear yourself"? If he has to take say three tests within a month leading up to the fight, would it even be possible to devise a proper doping plan? That's what I was getting at...

sars1981 said:
Yeah, I do know that. But how long does it take to "clear yourself"? If he has to take say three tests within a month leading up to the fight, would it even be possible to devise a proper doping plan? That's what I was getting at...

It wasn't 3 tests within a month. He wanted a 30 day window in which no tests would be performed. Not having doped, I don't know if that is sufficient time to get an appropriate cycle in, but it's too much of a window to give any reasonable person comfort that he's clean.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
It wasn't 3 tests within a month. He wanted a 30 day window in which no tests would be performed. Not having doped, I don't know if that is sufficient time to get an appropriate cycle in, but it's too much of a window to give any reasonable person comfort that he's clean.

Maybe. But keep in mind that he'll be taking urine tests in that 30 day window. It seems to me that if he's gonna take a blood test 30 days before the fight, a blood test directly after the fight, and urine tests throughout, it would be very difficult to get away with a major doping plan. But Im like you I dont dope.

sars1981 said:
Maybe. But keep in mind that he'll be taking urine tests in that 30 day window. It seems to me that if he's gonna take a blood test 30 days before the fight, a blood test directly after the fight, and urine tests throughout, it would be very difficult to get away with a major doping plan. But Im like you I dont dope.

I guess my question is why does it matter when they test? What if there is only one test in February? Nothing says that they will definitely test within the 30 day period. It seems he's getting all exercised over nothing. It's not like it's the TdF and he's going to be tested every day or every other day for a 3 week period.

Mole hill---->Mountain

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I guess my question is why does it matter when they test? What if there is only one test in February? Nothing says that they will definitely test within the 30 day period. It seems he's getting all exercised over nothing. It's not like it's the TdF and he's going to be tested every day or every other day for a 3 week period.

Mole hill---->Mountain

Mayweather obviously has a pretty specific idea of how much he Wants PAC to be tested, which is randomly right up until fight time. This demand goes far beyond what the Nevada State Athletic Commission Usually requires. Pacquiao has agreed to a test 30 days before March 13 and one post-fight, along with urine tests throughout. Mayweather rejects this, but if he changes his mind, you can bet the stipulations will be enforced.

tbh, The way Pacquiao has risen through the weight ranks and not lost any of his strength does seem pretty astronomical. His has oblitorated his last three opponents at 147lbs after spending much of his career at 130lbs. I could understand is he won decisions, but he came into the ring and overpowered these guys.

And of course:

manny_pacquiao.jpg

manny-pacquiao.jpg

pacquiao.jpg

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
sars1981 said:

Where does it say he will be taking urine tests during the 30 days, I do not see it?

most dope that they take would clear from the system in 2-3 days

TRENDING THREADS