• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

McEwen cherry picker

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Yo smokefest, it's about pro racers. Not Olympic racing, not about national championships. Pro. I have raced up a hill 10 times at breakneck and it hurts. He wants only his own countrymen and that's his right(or his request) Aussies like Americans should welcome the hardest and most talented competition whenever and wherever to show who is the best. Pro and Amateur prizes should always be separate,forever.Australian professional championship,if you don't have the license you should not be there, Is your Olympic team being picked from the bunch? If so everybody should be able to race. Pro used to mean something.21 million people, how many "pros" do you think there are in NSW? The mixing of pros and amateurs is confused,it should not be done as a habit.

isn't that the point? It is the national championships and not a pro race.

*Others can ride the TT

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
isn't that the point? It is the national championships and not a pro race.

*Others can ride the TT

Yes. Pros should not be racing anybody but pros. The governing body should make sure that a pro is not lined up next to anybody else...until the Olympics. Combined races for for cash is no big deal,for a title,you should get asterisk next to your name denoting that you beat a non pro or vise vs. It's like a slam dunk contest with grade schoolers. Would Lebron really feel pride? As long as everybody knows who you were competing against. Belgium inverse. They should announce all the underdogs at the line, these guys are not paid and are racing against a 10+ year veteran,lets cheer the little guy gunning against all odds. There some guys wife holding his support wheels and feed bag. You are right you should have a national championship based on sex (men and women) pro and non pro..or an all out everybody races for the crown regardless of sex or status,and if a woman wins she should race the men's race and the woman's race. If it's nats Jrs should also be allowed to start,lots of smoking fast 17 year olds. Can't wait for High Schoolers lining up against pros for Aus rules football national title.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Yes.
...Can't wait for High Schoolers lining up against pros for Aus rules football national title.

Disagree. And unsure really wtf you are trying to argue. If you are an Australian, it is my belief you should have the right to participate and race for the Australian championship.

This whole pro vs non-pro story is IMO irrelevant.

Aus rules football national title - :eek:

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
the big ring said:
Disagree. And unsure really wtf you are trying to argue.

Agree.

the big ring said:
If you are an Australian, it is my belief you should have the right to participate and race for the Australian championship.

Agree.

the big ring said:
This whole pro vs non-pro story is IMO irrelevant.

Agree.

the big ring said:
Aus rules football national title - :eek:

Agree.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Original thought was and still is that professional sports and their athletes should not be able to contest amateur championships.There are lots of players in Soccer,NBA,NFL,NHL that could assemble a team to win an amateur contest based on nationality, what does it really prove. In my view, obviously not shared by many, pro athletes should not be able to participate in the the Olympics. An all Australian,all professional from Australia championship would be a great race even with such a small field. Other sports recognize the need to distinguish pros from amateurs.

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
it is called the australian road race championship for a reason it is who the bea=st aussie is and not the best team with an aussie on it!

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Australia has the World Champs in 2010

In the past when a World Champs have been held in a particular country other countries have been allowed to race in an open Champs.

Nothing new. does not mean that an Ossie will not be national champ (a non australian cannot hold that position)

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Man was I wrong ! 8 finishers in the crit!, was this a girls race? It has to be a misprint. As Greipel looked on he had to be laughing. Robbie did he yell out with a heavy German accent" You can do it!" " Push yourself Robbie sweety!""GO cupcake put it in the big ring". Great race lots of national pride shown there. Maybe next year you lads can have a marsh mellow toss

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Man was I wrong ! 8 finishers in the crit!, was this a girls race? It has to be a misprint. As Greipel looked on he had to be laughing. Robbie did he yell out with a heavy German accent" You can do it!" " Push yourself Robbie sweety!""GO cupcake put it in the big ring". Great race lots of national pride shown there. Maybe next year you lads can have a marsh mellow toss

Robbie won't do much at down under and i don't think davis will either. Robbie wasn't sprinting that great at the bay crits and davis has only just got a team. Steegmans is my pick for the win overall.
Robbie injured himslef at national crit champs last night so pulled out.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Robbie won't do much at down under and i don't think davis will either. Robbie wasn't sprinting that great at the bay crits and davis has only just got a team. Steegmans is my pick for the win overall.
Robbie injured himslef at national crit champs last night so pulled out.

Robbie is one of the best sprinters of our time. he has water mellons and speed that not many can match. He is a great sportsman and a great family man. His special relationship with his parents and brother can make us all proud. Defending having a race amongst training partners and countrymen is baffling, Australia should open itself up to all takers,football,sailing,motocrosser's swimmers,..anybody.that's what make a small place special.20 million people in a land the size of the US and a super high number of great sportsman. Don't loose it! Fight anybody that can stand up,and make no apologies.Excuses suck

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:

Hey! I resemble that remark.

I sure hope you read the race report soon.... you are starting to look silly.