• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

McQuaid - Another Four Years

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Pat McQuaid will continue as President of the UCI for another four years. No one will contest his re-election. Apparently the national federations are so satisfied with his performance that they do not want to contest his re-election. Satisfied? His last tenure included power trips and rifts between the UCI and the GT organizers, death of the ProTour, bungling Operacion Puerto, refusing to discuss doping with the likes of Kohl who want to spill the beans, and unexplained delays in starting the Biological Passport (let alone the highly suspect results of round one of the passport). This is all so far from satisfactory that it is laughable. At least the UCI will continue as the joke it is under the presidency of Pat McQuaid.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Who is McQuaid?

Where did he come from, why is he - as a relatively nobody - so high up in cycling, how did he become the director of the UCI? How does the UCI recruit people? On the other hand, he's got one thing going for him (wiki)
In March 2008, McQuaid was promoted to Commander in the Order of the Ivory Coast Sporting Merit.

Why is there no other candidate to oppose him? Is everyone just trying to line their pockets in Switserland?

But then again, don't all sports associations distribute these 'resume filler positions' amongst the in-crowd, the old boys network... IOC, UEFA, FIFA, national sport's organisations, for people with the right connections and some ambitions the sky is the limit.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Who is McQuaid?

Where did he come from, why is he - as a relatively nobody - so high up in cycling, how did he become the director of the UCI? How does the UCI recruit people? On the other hand, he's got one thing going for him (wiki)

Ask Verdruggen

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
Ask Verdruggen

Yeah, I wonder what he's got to say.

"After a rigorous recruitment process, including highly selective criteria when reviewing resumes of applicants, thorough testing using the latest decision-making simulations, and grilling remaining candidates with tough questions to identify their overall moral character and their sense of integrity and responsibility, we made a fine decision and picked McQuaid. He was the best of the best of the best"

or

"...." Anyone care to fill in the blanks?

You have to love a democracy where El Presidente runs unopposed and the old leader handpicks his successor. All Pat McQuaid needs is a snappy military uniform covered with bogus medals like the Commander in the Order of the Ivory Coast Sporting Merit, a pair of dark glasses, and a pistol on his hip. He would then fit right into any get-together of tinpot dictators.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
not hard to find out

Bala Verde et al

Bala considering u seem to be such a fan of wiki can you not read the full story about Pat McQuaid, or you you one of these one minded people who take what they choose from things and discard the rest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_McQuaid

So he was an ex-cyclist himself, comes from a family of cycling, was national team manager, organised big bike races, pretty much his whole life has revolved around cycling.. And he spent EIGHT years on the road commission of the UCI learning the ropes - to be honest to me that seems like a good CV to have for the job. Can anyone think of any better?

You talk about how he was involved in a power struggle - he is the President of the world cycling federation, ASO were trying to take control of cycling for themselves (may I remind you ASO are a private entity and the only thing that matters to them is the net profit figure at the end of their accounts each year - they couldnt give a damn about cycling if it doesnt make them money) so what was McQuaid supposed to do, lie down admit defeat just to avoid a 'power struggle' even tho it may ultimately lead to him making so many enemies (foolish people who cant see straight like yourself Bala) he may lose his job - no he stood up to them and ultimately won.

You talk about Operation Puerto as if it was his fault - eh hello - was he recommending to the riders 'Jeez I know a good doctor Basso u should go there' no... once it was uncovered he was the one trying to get names named.

Biological passport.... have a look around other sports - what other sports are doing half as much as cycling to combat doping. Can you honestly say footballers swimmers rugby players tennis players etc etc are not using drugs hence they have no problem. WAKE UP they are filthy sports and they are getting away with it. Yes the passport took too long, but it seems to be so important to get it right first time i dont blame them for delaying, yes it appeared to catch 5 nobodies - but thats still 5 places on teams for 5 clean riders(hopefully) plus again, little test they need to bang that through the courts get it by then i am sure they will open shop.

I say Chapeau to Pat McQuaid, he seems to have cycling's best interests at heart, doesnt let himself be bullied by other shareholders in the sport, andf I say best of luck for his next 4 years, now he has sorted out the problems shown that it really is The UCI in control of things he can get round to doing what he was supposed to be doing for the best 4 years - developing the sport of cycling.

MattSimons said:
Bala Verde et al

Bala considering u seem to be such a fan of wiki can you not read the full story about Pat McQuaid, or you you one of these one minded people who take what they choose from things and discard the rest:

So he was an ex-cyclist himself, comes from a family of cycling, was national team manager, organised big bike races, pretty much his whole life has revolved around cycling.. And he spent EIGHT years on the road commission of the UCI learning the ropes - to be honest to me that seems like a good CV to have for the job. Can anyone think of any better?

You talk about how he was involved in a power struggle - he is the President of the world cycling federation, ASO were trying to take control of cycling for themselves (may I remind you ASO are a private entity and the only thing that matters to them is the net profit figure at the end of their accounts each year - they couldnt give a damn about cycling if it doesnt make them money) so what was McQuaid supposed to do, lie down admit defeat just to avoid a 'power struggle' even tho it may ultimately lead to him making so many enemies (foolish people who cant see straight like yourself Bala) he may lose his job - no he stood up to them and ultimately won.

You talk about Operation Puerto as if it was his fault - eh hello - was he recommending to the riders 'Jeez I know a good doctor Basso u should go there' no... once it was uncovered he was the one trying to get names named.

Biological passport.... have a look around other sports - what other sports are doing half as much as cycling to combat doping. Can you honestly say footballers swimmers rugby players tennis players etc etc are not using drugs hence they have no problem. WAKE UP they are filthy sports and they are getting away with it. Yes the passport took too long, but it seems to be so important to get it right first time i dont blame them for delaying, yes it appeared to catch 5 nobodies - but thats still 5 places on teams for 5 clean riders(hopefully) plus again, little test they need to bang that through the courts get it by then i am sure they will open shop.

I say Chapeau to Pat McQuaid, he seems to have cycling's best interests at heart, doesnt let himself be bullied by other shareholders in the sport, andf I say best of luck for his next 4 years, now he has sorted out the problems shown that it really is The UCI in control of things he can get round to doing what he was supposed to be doing for the best 4 years - developing the sport of cycling.

We know that dirtbag Pat McQuaid can barely write, so this must be Hiney Verdruggen.

MattSimons said:
Bala Verde et al

Sylvia Schenk would be a good start. For one, she doesn't take bribes or donations as some in the UCI call them.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
MattSimons said:
Bala Verde et al

I am not in the cycling administration game, but I am sure there are people of equal or superior ability that could at the very least be nominated for the position.

MattSimons said:

First of all, it was not just ASO, but the organizers of the Giro and Vuelta as well. All three had legitimate concerns over how and why the UCI was telling them to run their races. The UCI doesn't own the rights to those races, ASO etc do. These GTs have a long history of national interests that were being ignored by the UCI's attempt at globalization and money grabbing (by trying to force the GT organizers to accept two additional PT teams). And then when ASO excludes a PT team like Unibet as part of this power struggle, the UCI abandons the team. Gutless. Unibet paid their dues to UCI and the UCI takes their money and does nothing to support them. Again, just plain gutless.

MattSimons said:

No, UCI didn't create OP and no one here is saying they did. However, their handling of OP was farcical. No one knew who had the relevant documents. Riders were banned and lost their jobs based on nothing but innuendo and rumours. The UCI represents those riders. They should have protected them until the evidence was produced. Instead they do the opposite: Why would they try to ban Valverde from the World Championships and no one else implicated in OP?

MattSimons said:

We know there is a big problem in other sports, but this is not about other sports. This is about what the UCI is doing about doping in professional cycling. The Biological Passport is great in theory, but the way it is just a PR exercise right now. The UCI are no more interested in catching dopers than most other professional sports. Their dismissive attitude towards the likes of Sinkewitz and Kohl just shows how interested they are in cleaning up the sport when dopers are willing to give up all the information. Hell, they even went the opposite by telling riders implicated in OP to shut up or else. The five riders caught by the BP is indicative of this approach: PR but no substance. Two of those riders were "retired" and the other three will not have the funds to mount a defense. Why didn't they identify someone like Kohl through the BP?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
MattSimons said:

He didn't win, not even close. The GT organizers didn't have to part with any revenue, and that was what it was all about. Verbruggen's Pro Tour was a miserable failure that not only failed to secure more money for teams and riders but actually set back their cause for years.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
MattSimons said:
Elapid

...in the past 4 years, do you think cycling has got dirtier, or cleaner?
Not because McQuaid has been a prime motivator. He's only backed the passport because the political winds have shifted. Even Verbruggen has joined the antidoping bandwagon with his Sportaccord organisation. What a farce.

Thankfully there are some at the UCI who believed in the passport all along. But McQuaid still makes comments at odds with them like he did about Bernhard Kohl. There are a long line of statements like that which cause one to think his actions as President are not all in support of antidoping.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
MattSimons said:
Elapid

One word answer, in the past 4 years, do you think cycling has got dirtier, or cleaner?

Honestly, I wouldn't know. Does anyone? Estimates from cyclists and scientists put the current figure around 70-90% of the peloton doping. I have no idea if this is correct and no idea what the estimates were from four years ago. However, if the peloton is now cleaner, I very much doubt the UCI had anything to do with making it cleaner. Look at the majority of cyclists who are sanctioned, particularly high profile cyclists. They are almost always associated "affairs", not drug tests, like Festina, Operation Puerto, Hamburg Clinic and now the Vienna Blood Bank. For those busted by drug tests, it is more often than not an independent agency like the AFLD and not the UCI. Then you look at the reaction of the UCI to doping. First starting with Verbruggen who denies doping exists, then says it is too expensive to test and monitor, and then makes bizarre claims trying to justify doping like the spectators want to see cyclists at speeds of 40 kmh rather than 25 kmh. Look at how long it took to implement a test for EPO - it started being a known problem in the peloton in the early to mid 90s and a test for EPO was first introduced in 2001 - 10 years after it was being used as a PED in the peloton. Verbruggen then hand picks McQuaid to succeed him and the cronyism continues. McQuaid refuses to talk to Kohl and Sinkewitz, despite the potentially valuable information they can provide on doping practices, and tells riders involved in OP to basically shut up or else. Funnily enough, those that chose the or else option are no longer riding in the professional peloton.

So, in a short roundabout answer to your question, if the peloton is cleaner it is not because of the UCI. The UCI has shown their ineptitude in handling the doping problem in cycling in the past.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
MattSimons said:
Bala Verde et al

Bala considering u seem to be such a fan of wiki can you not read the full story about Pat McQuaid.

I read the whole 'article' but for a president of the UCI, THE cycling federation, it is a rather innocuous resume. He was a cyclist, who won the tour of Ireland, continued his career as a school teacher and was a national director of - excuse me - Ireland, and director of the Tour of Langkawi, China and the Philipines. Does that mean he was 'on the board' as a 'high profile ex-cyclist' for exposure, or did he actually organise these - no offense - rather unimportant cycling events on the racing calendar.

You talk about how he was involved in a power struggle

No I did not. Perhaps you assumed I did or you (un)intentionally misinterpreted and misrepresented my words. In any case, you ended up putting words in my mouth to make a point of your own. Let's call this strawman "Mr Paddyshack"

You talk about Operation Puerto as if it was his fault
I did not talk about or allude to Operacion Puerto, and by absence of any reference to this doping case, could I have blamed McQuaid for its existence, or outcome. Let's call this strawman "Mr. Pat the doormat"

Biological passport.... have a look around other sports
And you are off on a tangent. But that's ok. It's your post. I am glad you did not mention my name in connection with the biological passport.

I say Chapeau to Pat McQuaid
He has been there 4 years, and what pre-determined goals has he achieved? Did he as a director even disclose an agenda when he started, and if so, can we evaluate how well he has performed?

I say, with such a tiny resume, perhaps we could not really have expected anything else than the current state cycling finds itself in.

he seems to have cycling's best interests at heart, doesnt let himself be bullied by other shareholders in the sport, andf I say best of luck for his next 4 years, now he has sorted out the problems shown that it really is

What new problems have surfaced, or has he identified that hadn't been around when he was not already UCI's top dog? Doping? A power struggle between UCI and race organisers?

If you read cyclingnews today, you'd have found out that AFLD thinks the UCI is a little lax when it comes to testing procedures. Some, it seems, can count on more than others. Interestingly, the other day AST let the doping inspectors wait for 55m before they could draw blood from riders. I wonder what Pat McQuaid has to say about that...

PS> Good posts elapid!

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Excelent post Bala you hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't thrust what comes out of the radio in McQuaids car,let alone his mouth. The arguement with the ASO was more to do with TV rights, The ASO built up the Tour and then the UCI tried to tap into its financial success. as for people saying the ASO are only in it for the money....what the **** would any commercial company be doing in business if its not making money(I hope the person who made this comment dosen't work in the private sector). Could someone please tell what races the UCI PROMOTE besides that TTT disaster they tried

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
When McQuaid "ran" for his position 4 years ago it was made clear that nobody should run against him as he was the chosen successor to Verdurggen. Those foolish enough to think that the UCI was fair enough to allow a non corrupt process to choose a new leader found out quickly that this was not the case.

This time around it appears that the competition has learned from the last time and decided to not even try to oppose him.

Mcquaid has been a consistent source of embarrassment for the sport. His weak attempt to strongarm the ASO and RCS have only resulted in embarrassment for the UCI.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
MattSimons said:
Elapid

One word answer, in the past 4 years, do you think cycling has got dirtier, or cleaner?
Apologies- but I am going to post twice as this is a topic that interest's me.

Firstly - to answer Matt's question.
I do believe cycling is cleaner than it was - certainly in regards to the all out doping of the 90's.
But the UCI did little to clean it up - even as people were literally dying in the sport.
Pat McQuaid was not President at that time but lets be honest here it was only once 'Liberty Seguros' pulled out of sponsorship midseason did the cycling world finally sit up and take notice.
More was done in the 2 years after 'Liberty' then in the previous 2 decade's.
But the UCI has started to 'soften' its approach - not retesting the samples from last years Giro made the new direction clear.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
I read the whole 'article' but for a president of the UCI, THE cycling federation, it is a rather innocuous resume. He was a cyclist, who won the tour of Ireland, continued his career as a school teacher and was a national director of - excuse me - Ireland, and director of the Tour of Langkawi, China and the Philipines. Does that mean he was 'on the board' as a 'high profile ex-cyclist' for exposure, or did he actually organise these - no offense - rather unimportant cycling events on the racing calendar.

No I did not. Perhaps you assumed I did or you (un)intentionally misinterpreted and misrepresented my words. In any case, you ended up putting words in my mouth to make a point of your own. Let's call this strawman "Mr Paddyshack"

I did not talk about or allude to Operacion Puerto, and by absence of any reference to this doping case, could I have blamed McQuaid for its existence, or outcome. Let's call this strawman "Mr. Pat the doormat"

And you are off on a tangent. But that's ok. It's your post. I am glad you did not mention my name in connection with the biological passport.

He has been there 4 years, and what pre-determined goals has he achieved? Did he as a director even disclose an agenda when he started, and if so, can we evaluate how well he has performed?

I say, with such a tiny resume, perhaps we could not really have expected anything else than the current state cycling finds itself in.

What new problems have surfaced, or has he identified that hadn't been around when he was not already UCI's top dog? Doping? A power struggle between UCI and race organisers?

If you read cyclingnews today, you'd have found out that AFLD thinks the UCI is a little lax when it comes to testing procedures. Some, it seems, can count on more than others. Interestingly, the other day AST let the doping inspectors wait for 55m before they could draw blood from riders. I wonder what Pat McQuaid has to say about that...

PS> Good posts elapid!

From my above post you will realize that I have little time for the UCI and of course PMcQ is the President- but I am a little taken aback by the personal attacks on him. Not calling anyone out - as I have the same suspicions, but is there actually any article or something I can check over.

When he first came to prominence I was quite 'happy' with his CV.
I know Bella that the Tour of Ireland is small fry in the grand scheme of things but to be fair the Tour of Ireland when he ran it as the 'Nissan Classic' was excellent. Good appearance fee's for the riders, good conditions, good hotels, a very well run publicity campaign that gave the sponsor excellent value for their investment.
Anyone who has been involved in cycling and particularly Pro Cycling will know that it is a very small world. So he was well respected on that level for his experience as rider and organizer.
I will admit I have met him and he is a 'nice' guy and I was very impressed with his knowledge particularly things away from Pro Tour level like junior racing.

But none of this blinkers me from the fact that the UCI has failed - under his direction -in regards to its duties especially in the area of anti-doping.
The UCI is part of the IOC (and Heinz hides out there) so it cant be far removed from corruption.

The one problem I have is what alternative do we have to the UCI?
The ASO/RCS/Unipublic vs UCI was all about dividing the money - no question, but at least as a paid up member as a cyclist I do have a 'say' in the running of the UCI organization. I certainly dont with the other stakeholders - and ASO have rolled back too with their dismissal of Clerc.

For the record - I would love to see the German lady Schenk as President.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
but at least as a paid up member as a cyclist I do have a 'say' in the running of the UCI organisation.

Do you really think you have a say? As a paid up member of the UCI, I have emailed them on occasion for clarification and/or comment. They have NEVER replied. So not only do I not have a say despite being a paid up member, but they do not even have the common decency to reply to their members. As a lowly club cyclist I have absolutely no say in the running of the UCI. Even cyclists like Floyd Landis have no say when he was embroiled in a pay dispute with the UCI.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Do you really think you have a say? As a paid up member of the UCI, I have emailed them on occasion for clarification and/or comment. They have NEVER replied. So not only do I not have a say despite being a paid up member, but they do not even have the common decency to reply to their members. As a lowly club cyclist I have absolutely no say in the running of the UCI. Even cyclists like Floyd Landis have no say when he was embroiled in a pay dispute with the UCI.

My point really - in the part you have highlighted - is that whatever say I have in the UCI I have absolutley none with the ASO's etc.
They are not interested in anything outside of the Pro races they run - let alone any casual cyclist whether they be fan or competitor.

As for getting something out of the UCI - I know my home club got a resolution adopted by the UCI years go. Dont get me wrong - it was like pushing a rock uphill, as it had to go through local federations and national federations first, but it can be done.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
My point really - in the part you have highlighted - is that whatever say I have in the UCI I have absolutley none with the ASO's etc.
They are not interested in anything outside of the Pro races they run - let alone any casual cyclist whether they be fan or competitor.

As for getting something out of the UCI - I know my home club got a resolution adopted by the UCI years go. Dont get me wrong - it was like pushing a rock uphill, as it had to go through local federations and national federations first, but it can be done.

Congratulations! You are living proof that the UCI actually does something constructive. I wish there were more of these stories to restore my/our faith in the UCI.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Congratulations! You are living proof that the UCI actually does something constructive. I wish there were more of these stories to restore my/our faith in the UCI.

I don't what has provoked the sarcasm as I pointed out quite clearly my dissatisfaction with UCI - and agree that it needs to be overhauled.
I know it's slightly off topic - but what alternative is there to the UCI?

As I said it is a topic I am interested in - and would love to find out more, I know that David Walsh's new book covers a lot about the UCI but my French is quite poor.

TRENDING THREADS