• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

McQuaid: Landis and Hamilton are Not Heroes.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Seriously. Every time that man opens his mouth, the room starts reeking of fecies. Of course with a bunch of pre-selected, muted journos, who have been bent over the nearest piece of furniture and given a darn good anal seeing-to, he can lash out at those who dare to break the Omertá.
I'm agreeing on one thing, Hamilton and Landis are anything but heroes. They both lied until they saw no other exit but coming clean. But that's Phat Pat's problem - they stopped lying at some point and that's not what the UCI wants you to do.
They damaged the sport? Hell yeah, because they let some one-balled, run-down shmuck bully them into compliance with his drug scheme. Did they damage the sport by exposing it? Hell, no.
You, Pat, you are the ****ing scumbag that's jhaving a crap all over the sport. Get the **** out and don't let the door hit your lying **** on the way out.

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I am staggered by those comments from McQuaid about Tyler and Floyd.

And I totally agree with Tyler's response, couldn't have said it better myself;

"Pat McQuaid's comments expose the hypocrisy of his leadership and demonstrate why he is incapable of any meaningful change," Hamilton wrote in a statement.

"Instead of seizing an opportunity to instil hope for the next generation of cyclists, he continues to point fingers, shift blame and attack those who speak out, tactics that are no longer effective. Pat McQuaid has no place in cycling."

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I don’t get it: professional roadracing is a commercial thing, so, it must be okay for McQuaid. Promoting the thing is commercial and that is also okay for McQuaid. Armstrong squeezing millions out of cycling has been okay for McQuaid. People confessing are okay for McQuaid. Millar writing a book and making money with it is okay for McQuaid.

Landis speaking up is not okay for McQuaid. Hamilton speaking up and making some money out of cycling is not okay for McQuaid.

I think, there might be a slight inconsistency in Pat McQuaid’s thinking …

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Think about it. The sports governing body is led by a mentally disturbed person. That man's stark-raving mad. Did he by any chance have the key to Armstrongs medicine cabinet and took the wrong pills? :mad:

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The more i listen to this, the more McQuaid reminds me of Max Mosley. 'I have no intention of stepping down' is exactly what Mosley said before the teams pushed him off his chair he so desperately was clinging to.

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
How many Europeans are in here? Switzerland is a mere 2 hour flight from just about everywhere. We should try to assemble a few hundred people and protest the raw *** out of the UCI. What the hell has the idiot been smoking?

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
This is balderdash from McQuaid. It doesn't take a genius to work out that Hamilton and Landis are flawed human beings, and that there's a certain amount of self-serving in their confessions - but neither does it take a genius to work out that they are basically rational, basically decent people who f***ed up royally, and having been caught have decided it's better to be part of the solution than part of the problem. Other people in pelaton, doped and clean alike, have vouched for the basic civility of H & F.

Armstrong, on the other hand, leaving aside being the ringleader of a doping cult att he Ferrari alter - and it was a cult - is renowned in the same pelaton for being a grade-a c*** to anyone that crosses him, including the above riders who sacrificed their careers and integrity for years for his advancement.

So heroes? no, of course not. Bassons was a hero (imagine standing up to doping in FESTINA, back in those days - that took balls, plural!), Walsh and LeMond and Kimmage were heroes.

But the idea, Pat, that H & F are somehow WORSE than LA takes some leap.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Miller shat on Verbruggen, quite rightly, at the weekend. He, however, gave McQuaid an 'out'; dump Hein, go to town on doping and omerta, push the "it's improved since the darkest days of Hein" line.

Do I think millar did that because he's "in Pat's pocket"? No, I think he did it because he, like Vaughters, is a ****load brighter than most of his peers, and certainly Mcquaid, and he's got two aims - garotte Hein (who i think Millar holds responsible on a gutteral level), and get himself into a position of authority. and the best way to do both is to give Pat a reason to throw Hein under the bus; and the best way to get Pat to do that is to leave open an escape hatch for Pat.

Now Pat has the ferret cunning to see that Millar is trying to give him "the map and the fake german papers", and he certainly wants that kept alive, so Millar is now " a lovely boy" - adly for Pat, I'm not sure he realises just how high a price Millar intends to extract from him, and I'm not sure he'll pay it - in which case watch them drop each other like a stone.

Like it or not, outside these walls, Millar has cornered the market on "the sinner redeemed" - he plays a long game well, does Dave -and he knows that, and his affiliation to Wada gives him a certain degree of purchase on all this.

It's neither good, not evil. It;s just poker. sadly.

TRENDING THREADS