• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

McQuaids World

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/39953577/ns/sports/

"We're testing. We're testing in great detail, in great numbers, and we're catching athletes. We're not afraid to catch an athlete, big or small. It's transparent. It's open. All the results come to us and go to WADA. We're doing our damnedest to catch cheats."

McQuaid defended the UCI's handling of the Contador case, which dates to a drug test during the Tour on July 21. The Spaniard claims traces of the banned drug clenbuterol in his sample came from contaminated steak, and also has denied that tests found traces of plastic residues that could indicate he underwent an illegal blood transfusion.

The UCI still has not decided whether to press doping charges against Contador.

"We're working with WADA," McQuaid said. "Our scientific people and their scientific people are working together to try to determine how the clenbuterol got in the system.

"We're waiting for WADA to come back to us with a report. As soon as we get that, we'll take decisions within hours."

McQuaid said he had no timeframe for a decision but added, "I think the point might be fast approaching."

Asked whether the investigation also was looking into plastic residues found in Contador's samples, he said, "I couldn't tell you."

If the UCI decides to pursue disciplinary action against Contador, the case first will be referred to the Spanish cycling federation for a hearing. If found guilty, Contador would be stripped of the Tour title and face a ban.

Contador has suggested he might quit the sport regardless of the outcome of the investigation.

"I understand the athlete has been barraged by media, particularly the Spanish media," McQuaid said. "He's in a pretty difficult situation. I can understand that and I have sympathy for him in that situation."

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
"We're not afraid to catch an athlete, big or small. It's transparent. It's open" which is why you didn't test those 8s & 10s right Pat - because you're not afraid who you catch and it's all open.

IO report also talks about 'unhealthy attachments' between riders and those testing them - stopping short of saying there's an unhealthy attachment between McQuaid and the riders who enrich his bank account

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
fastforward to 2011: Chinese-dude-from-RS sits at home while AC clens his way to the Giro-TDF-Vuelta triple crown with Bjarne.

hrotha said:
What.
Particularly the Spanish media.
Oh Pat.

Benotti69 said:
it is amazing what can come out of someones mouth when their foot is half way down their throat..

Good take on the quote about the Spanish media, who have continued to coddle AC. But this is such a big deal and being under the microscope I don't think the UCI are sitting on their thumbs (but I have been known to be wrong).

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
and he now says a judgement is coming soon. I wonder what "soon" means to him?

probably soon as they get something else to distract the media :rolleyes:or a soon as they release the documents showing where and how much the payments were from LA and what they bought with it and other documents that were gonna be released:D