• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Media amnesia and reactions

As we know, much the media at best turned a blind eye to Armstrong's doping and the rumours about it, or worse became cheer-leaders and bandwagon jumpers.

While we're holding riders, officials and DSs to account the media also needs to be held accountable.

So I thought it might be good to collect media reactions - who are holding their hands up, who is re-writing their own history and involvement, who continues to bury their head in the sand and who are the true believers.

The BBC seems to be burying its head in the sand and deleting any comments in the Lance Armstrong discussion about members of Sky named in the report and statements.

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
The media are as bad as some on this Forum , in that they only do what suits them !

There is a Petition started by members of the " clinic " that to date has about 45+ supporters , hidden behind fictious " IP addresses , some of you decline to do the correct thing and support " Change "!

Why should the Media respond when YOU do not ?

below is my reply to another thread :

Glad to see that some people such as Emma & Betty have been vindicated for their FORTITUDE in standing up to the BULLYING to which they were subjected ! Stated my thanks on blogs .

Like Steve Tilford , i say B*LLSH'T to those that " confessed " in the past days !

Those of you taking the SIX Months have NO Credibility !

ONLY Joining together and demanding that Jacques Rogge IMMEDIATELY calls an " AMNESTY IN ALL SPORTS " could you win any redemption !

FOR SPORT the ONLY way forward is to clean the " decks" , ONCE AND FOR ALL !

Jacque Rogge needs to TODAY , write to ALL Heads of Government that participate in Olympic Events and give them 7 days to arrange their Legal processes so that " Double Jeapardy " will not occur when their Nations Athletes ( Past & Present ) step forward to accept their responsibility for previous misdeeds as DOPERS !

Having obtained cooperation he should implement a 2 stage process :

Firstly , call on ALL Athletes , past & present , to declare their status and past behaviours relating to Doping before the DEADLINE , on missing that date they will be subject to " LIFE TIME BANS " from ALL & every Sporting related employment or activity .

Second Tier will require those who worked with ATHLETES that did not volunteer their past behaviours , to step forward with that information by a date deadline ! Those that do not do so , will be treated as fully aware of the risks and thus ALSO subject to " LIFE TIME BAN "!

Jacques Rogge needs to demand ANY & ALL " IOC Delegates " involved with WADA / UCI to stand down whilst their past associations are investigated by an Organisation such as " Interpol "! Innocent until proven Guilty is the watch word but USADA has provided enough evidence for Jacques Rogge and John Fahey of WADA to demand compliance with this precautionary action .

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
the pharmstrong revelations don't seem to come as a surprise in germany, which explains why the usada vs. armstrong file is hardly making headlines in germany, though of course it is being covered in the media.

the german branch of eurosport definitely has some explaining and backtracking to do, but the bigger german newspapers (sueddueutsche, spiegel, etc.) have little to blame themselves for. they've been critical if not from day one, then at least from the day that t-mobile was unmasked.

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
On the subject of Eurosport, I wonder how Dave Harmon one of Lance's biggest apologists is handling this?

I called him out months back, got the 'legality is everything, not blindness' response which depending on his contractual obligations is either true or a convienient excuse..........

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Tinman said:
A real BINGO by Richard Hinds from Sydney Morning Herald this AM.

"Armstrong and his lawyers have used every club in the bag. They have claimed victimisation of various kinds - including by French journalists supposedly jealous of American success. They have belittled government agencies and branded their accusers liars. Most shamefully, Armstrong has used his cancer charity, and his own story of cancer survival, to create confusion among the naive and the slavishly devoted who fail to distinguish the drug cheat from the great benefactor."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling...catches-up-with-armstrong-20121011-27ett.html

posted before in another thread.

This is the reason LA still hero regardless of being the biggest cheat in sports. :(

"The true tragedy of Lance Armstrong's story isn't about him. It's about the people who have looked at him as inspiration. It's the cyclists and the rehabilitating cancer sufferers to whom Armstrong wasn't a man on a bike but a poster-boy for overcoming the impossible. In the coming weeks while the headlines obsess over the fallout and the implications for the future of cycling, spare a thought anyone sitting in chemotherapy who just lost a little bit of hope."

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/commen...lance-armstrong-tour-de-france-doping-scandal

cineteq said:
This is the reason LA still hero regardless of being the biggest cheat in sports. :(

"The true tragedy of Lance Armstrong's story isn't about him. It's about the people who have looked at him as inspiration. It's the cyclists and the rehabilitating cancer sufferers to whom Armstrong wasn't a man on a bike but a poster-boy for overcoming the impossible. In the coming weeks while the headlines obsess over the fallout and the implications for the future of cycling, spare a thought anyone sitting in chemotherapy who just lost a little bit of hope."

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/commen...lance-armstrong-tour-de-france-doping-scandal

A Hollywood movie of "The Rise & Fall of Lance Armstrong"[TM] would be great entertainment even if it told all the sordid details and ended up a tragedy. - it would be a fitting commentary on the world over the last decade or two, and LA could still be the hero/film star too! Could be a face-saving way out for him/nike.

TourOfSardinia said:
A Hollywood movie...
Remember when one was going to be made, potentially starring his buddy Matt Damon?

I forget the name of the big name producer trying to push it. I think the guy was friends with Hincapie too. RR knows the guy.

Remember LA's buddy Ben Stiller pimping for him?

I wonder how these people feel about doing a movie on Lance now?

Alpe d'Huez said:
Remember when one was going to be made, potentially starring his buddy Matt Damon?

I forget the name of the big name producer trying to push it. I think the guy was friends with Hincapie too. RR knows the guy.

Remember LA's buddy Ben Stiller pimping for him?

I wonder how these people feel about doing a movie on Lance now?

There will be a movie - the story is simply amazing and better than any scriptwriter could come up with. And what a bunch of characters!

I vote Charles (Pappy O'Daniel) Durning as Tim Herman
MV5BMjAzMDk1NTU1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDA2MjM0

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Did anybody else catch Ray Suarez's interview with Bill Strickland last night on Public Broadcasting's "News Hour"? Pretty appalling. Among other gems, he kept up the "never failed a test" line. Here's the video & full transcript:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/sports/july-dec12/armstrong_10-10.html

RAY SUAREZ: For a decade, Armstrong has taken refuge in the fact that he's never failed a drugs test. And this is during a time of tightening testing regimes. That's still true, isn't it?

BILL STRICKLAND: Well, that is still true.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Sarcastic Wet Trout said:
Here's a tweet from Paul Sherwen today:

Am reading Bad Blood. Paul Sherwen was mentioned as Team Motorola's press officer... suddenly the glowing remarks for the last n years whenever Lance turned a pedal or another rider turning a pedal could be compared to Lance made just that little more sense.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Am reading Bad Blood. Paul Sherwen was mentioned as Team Motorola's press officer... suddenly the glowing remarks for the last n years whenever Lance turned a pedal or another rider turning a pedal could be compared to Lance made just that little more sense.

Sherwen & Lance also have a business relationship with Sherwens mining company in Africa.
Although his tweet sounds like he might crawl out of the mine and see the light.

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
As we know, much the media at best turned a blind eye to Armstrong's doping and the rumours about it, or worse became cheer-leaders and bandwagon jumpers.

While we're holding riders, officials and DSs to account the media also needs to be held accountable.

So I thought it might be good to collect media reactions - who are holding their hands up, who is re-writing their own history and involvement, who continues to bury their head in the sand and who are the true believers.

The BBC seems to be burying its head in the sand and deleting any comments in the Lance Armstrong discussion about members of Sky named in the report and statements.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/i-was-wrong-and-others-must-come-clean-too-20121011-27fr9.html

Now we are talking. Good article this morning from Rupert Guinness - Sydney Morning Herald.

"I got it wrong"

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
sairyder said:
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/i-was-wrong-and-others-must-come-clean-too-20121011-27fr9.html

Now we are talking. Good article this morning from Rupert Guinness - Sydney Morning Herald.

"I got it wrong"
I also recognised things could have been made clearer sooner, had I and others in the cycling media pursued allegations of doping against Armstrong more vigorously.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling...e-clean-too-20121011-27fr9.html#ixzz291qOjARF

It would be good to hear from the cycling journalists why they didn't pursue the rumours/evidence - it needs to be spelt out so it doesn't happen again

TRENDING THREADS