• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Medial knee pain

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

I've been lurking on the forums for a couple of weeks now and have taken up cycling very enthusiastically over the last month and a half or so (1-1.5 hour rides M-F, 3-4 hour rides on Saturday, rest Sunday), and I've started experiencing some medial knee pain and I'm trying to diagnose the cause. I realize that the best choice would be to go to my local bike shop and see about getting a proper fit done, but I was wondering if there was anything that you experienced cyclists could recommend me trying before I spend a portion of my next paycheque on a fitting. Ideas? :)

May 23, 2010
Visit site
SeanWorkman said:
Hi there,

I've been lurking on the forums for a couple of weeks now and have taken up cycling very enthusiastically over the last month and a half or so (1-1.5 hour rides M-F, 3-4 hour rides on Saturday, rest Sunday), and I've started experiencing some medial knee pain and I'm trying to diagnose the cause. I realize that the best choice would be to go to my local bike shop and see about getting a proper fit done, but I was wondering if there was anything that you experienced cyclists could recommend me trying before I spend a portion of my next paycheque on a fitting. Ideas? :)

What kind of pedals? Are you inclined to push your heals out against the limit at the bottom or top of your pedal stroke? It could just be a matter of too much too soon.

SeanWorkman said:
Hi there,

Spend the money on the fitting unless you have some friends who can help out.

Having said this, have you just overdone it over the past month? It sounds like you are riding 8-12 hours per week ... was this with some build up or did you just ramp it up?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Get some tips from the local bike shop first on fit and other ideas before you go full hog on a fit up they cost big $$$ and dont always do the job.
Make sure seat hight is correct for aft etc

heaps of info on the web but read it all then make your own mind up

Try Steve Hoggs web site on form and fitness column on CN.

pedal pushers . com.au

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
SeanWorkman said:
Hi there,

You may have anserine tendinitis or bursitis - three muscles; semitendinosis, gracilis and sartorius insert at the upper inner aspect of the shin bone and can become inflammed if you have your toes pointed outward or knees too far apart when cycling. Can be easily corrected by minor adjustments to set up.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
A good resource is Andy Pruitt's "Complete Medical Guide for Cyclists".

Dr. Pruitt does a great job of covering the primary sources of pain for cyclists and gicing recommendations (i.e. fit, physio, etc.)

Any rider who has pain and does not purchase that book is doing themselves a disservice.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the information guys. To be honest, yes I sort of jumped into things with SOME ramp up, but really not a whole lot. That being said, I just imagined that if it was a case of too much too soon it would be affecting both of my knees? I find the situation strange primarily because it is ONLY my right knee where I am experiencing pain.

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
It wouldn't necessarily affect both knees, as one of your knees could be weaker/stronger than the other. The muscles in your right and left legs aren't always equally as strong as the other. I've been suffering from Iliotibial band syndrome on my right knee when I go running - but my left knee is fine!

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
What shoes and pedals? If you are not in cleats get some. I would suggest a mountain pedal (such as Time ATAC) with float for most starting riders.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I agree the muscles on each leg will be of different strengths as we have a lead leg so it will not mean both legas will suffer an injury.

I thing it may be a combination of posture & over use on the bike- you need to get some one to ride behind and watch how you are riding to see if your foot is turning out etc. I've watched people ride 'badly' so to speak and they experience no problems. If you go to see some one about orthotics then they WILL sell you orthotics! This will set your foot at a new angle but will change you lower limb biomechanics and other parts of the leg will become more domanant. I see so many people mis sold orthotics to cure a problem which does not exist.

My advice would be find a good sports physio or sports therapist who will be able to assess your legs & hip and offer a solution.

The sports injury clinic web site offers good independant advice or send me an email

Keep well!
Paul

http://www.paulskidmore-therapies.co.uk

TRENDING THREADS