• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Melbourne - track world championship

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Another race marred by **** organisation.

Seriously, how hard should it be.

Take yr complaint to the UCI. It's UCI race officials & commissaires, same as it will be in London. Will you still be making the same billious bleating .... or only when it fits yr prejudices.

From my viewing; most have been fairly clear cut calls a few "technical" but strictly speaking correct .... Krupeckaite is the one that can really feel "screwed".

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Team GB going Great Guns Again.. Queen Vic Getting the Gold Was the icing on the Cake ... Big Confidence Boost for London... Almost Felt for the Aussies.:)
Exciting Racing.. Loving it...:)

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Don't feel sorry for us mate. The real prize is later in the year. Generally the worlds are IT in a track season, but in Olympic years, you're peaking for the Olympics, so let's reserve judgement.

Not sure Meyer is in the same bag as Durbridge. Durbridge is a big diesel engine. Meyer has always been faster than him (but not as strong).

Howard is no longer riding track, as there is nothing for him to ride in London - Australia have moved on in the Omnium (and he has probably lost the pure speed he needs for the flying lap and kilo), and he wasn't in the best four years ago when the squad was weaker. Meyer on the other hand, has always added to the team, but only not ridden it when it's interfered with Madison/points race commitments.

Congrats to Vic on a victory that demonstrated great character. Don't think she liked the circumstances in which the final was decided. NOT sure she can consider her name already engraved on the London gold.

She & Meares do look to be THE business in this event, lets hope their next meet is the Olympic final not a semi. I wouldn't want to pick it as neither have real dominance these days over the other. Krupeckaite & Guo are still factors but realistically only contending for the big one if one of the "grand dames" either puts in a shocker or meets the other in a quarter or semi. The Ukrainian is good but perhaps just a level below.

Whilst these Worlds are giving a good guide as to who are the legit contenders for London, I'm not sure any of the Olympic events have evidenced any "dead certs":
- Mens T/P could go either way GBR/AUS;
-AUS won T/Sprint but could conceivably be out of medals in LDN as it looks a 4 way battle GER/FRA/AUS/GBR.
- GBR probable favourites in Womens T/P but AUS close on their tails.
- Womens Sprint as above
- O'Shea (AUS) won this Omnium & therefore should be highly favoured to medal but this event still so much of a lottery to predict outright winners.
- GER massive bolters to win Women's Team Sprint but is this a blip or a portent of them becoming consistent contenders in this event. AUS still v close to the money, CHN a medal factor & GBR slightly off the pace but cannot be discounted for London.

So far, my prediction is considerable numbers of "coin" for both GBR & AUS but numbers of gold too hard to call. FRA male sprinters should pick up a couple & both GER team sprints (esp men) v strong. NZL endurance riders could pick up a couple of minors as may CAN.

dirkprovin said:
Take yr complaint to the UCI. It's UCI race officials & commissaires, same as it will be in London. Will you still be making the same billious bleating .... or only when it fits yr prejudices.

From my viewing; most have been fairly clear cut calls a few "technical" but strictly speaking correct .... Krupeckaite is the one that can really feel "screwed".

I'm commenting on the inability to stop the lap counter when neutralising races, not the hyper sensitive judging.

dirkprovin said:
Congrats to Vic on a victory that demonstrated great character. Don't think she liked the circumstances in which the final was decided. NOT sure she can consider her name already engraved on the London gold.

She & Meares do look to be THE business in this event, lets hope their next meet is the Olympic final not a semi. I wouldn't want to pick it as neither have real dominance these days over the other. Krupeckaite & Guo are still factors but realistically only contending for the big one if one of the "grand dames" either puts in a shocker or meets the other in a quarter or semi. The Ukrainian is good but perhaps just a level below.

Whilst these Worlds are giving a good guide as to who are the legit contenders for London, I'm not sure any of the Olympic events have evidenced any "dead certs":
- Mens T/P could go either way GBR/AUS;
-AUS won T/Sprint but could conceivably be out of medals in LDN as it looks a 4 way battle GER/FRA/AUS/GBR.
- GBR probable favourites in Womens T/P but AUS close on their tails.
- Womens Sprint as above
- O'Shea (AUS) won this Omnium & therefore should be highly favoured to medal but this event still so much of a lottery to predict outright winners.
- GER massive bolters to win Women's Team Sprint but is this a blip or a portent of them becoming consistent contenders in this event. AUS still v close to the money, CHN a medal factor & GBR slightly off the pace but cannot be discounted for London.

So far, my prediction is considerable numbers of "coin" for both GBR & AUS but numbers of gold too hard to call. FRA male sprinters should pick up a couple & both GER team sprints (esp men) v strong. NZL endurance riders could pick up a couple of minors as may CAN.

I'll take GB to clean up in the pursuits, but win nothing in the sprints at this stage.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
I'll take GB to clean up in the pursuits, but win nothing in the sprints at this stage.

I'll give GBR the edge in the women's T/P; not so the men. Cigarette paper between the two teams on any given day & it will be just who's better on THAT day - neither has a "break" over the other.

Both GBR team sprints look wobbly but can't be counted out of medal contention at least. Pendleton has to be thereabouts, colour of coin to be detemined. We don't know how men's sprint will play out & whether it will be Hoy or Kenny to represent.

dirkprovin said:
I'll give GBR the edge in the women's T/P; not so the men. Cigarette paper between the two teams on any given day & it will be just who's better on THAT day - neither has a "break" over the other.

Both GBR team sprints look wobbly but can't be counted out of medal contention at least. Pendleton has to be thereabouts, colour of coin to be detemined. We don't know how men's sprint will play out & whether it will be Hoy or Kenny to represent.

Prefer 4 decent guys to 1 superman and 3 blokes trying to keep up personally - I'll be quite surprised if Bobridge doesn't blow his teammates up in the Olympics trying desperately to make it happen.

Meares is much better than Pendleton at the moment - just unlucky today.

Bauge looks a bit too good - I suspect it will be Hoy (media outrage otherwise) and I'm sort of looking forward to his bubble being publically popped after the hype last time. Track 'cycling' is just weightlifting anyway, shouldn't be using up the scarce number of events at the Olympics.

May 16, 2009
Visit site
Meares Robbed!!!

Just finished watching the racing from last night. I did watch the men's early sprint rounds on the live stream and I can tell you that at least three of the men's round-16 sprints the winner did exactly the same thing as Meares in her semi where she was relegated AND the winning margin was a lot smaller and nothing was done!

Not sure who the chief comm was for the night session, but he should be ashamed of himself for an atrocious decision and show no consistency. It was probably that French-Canadian **** who thinks he's the star of the show.

Honestly, Princess Vicki is nowhere near Meares - she had it handed to her on a platter with the Meares relegation and then the the gold ride as well. She should feel hollow and be shaking in her glass slippers at meeting Meares in London... as long those *** comms stay out of the way!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Thought Pendleton used up all her luck in these Champs. Looks to be on the downward spiral. Im a big fan of hers but prediction is that she'll be 4th/5th in 3 months time. Looked like her grand final yesterday the way she broke down after they gave her the final on a platter.

As for the GB sprint team, Hindes looks like the weak link there. The brits have really struggled with the lead spot ever since Staff retired. Looks to be a battle between France/Germany.

As a few of you have stated, Im still not sure why Meyer is not in the TP. Would think he would slot into O'Shea's spot with Glen focusing purely on the ominium. He looked tired in the IP ominium round. O'Shea was also the weak link in the TP, being the rider dropped in both the heats and final. Meyer would not have a problem kicking off with a 1.02 or maintaining the required schedule. If they do use O'Shea in the TP, they may have to use Edmondson in the qualifying to keep him a tad fresher.

Pendleton is obviously not going to win in London.

The key in so much female sport is to try and convert your body shape in to that of a man, and she simply hasn't even tried to keep up in the arms race. The podium was hilarious - you could get 2 Pendleton's to either of those others.

I commend her use of skill and talent over the other 2, but I suspect we've now reached the end of the time when you can be that much smaller, and that much less power, than the other 'girls' and expect to make up for it some other way.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
durhamwasp said:
Come on Kenny! Hope you stuff Bauge and get the jersey awarded properly this time.

Bauge looks utterly untouchable. The backdated ban will be one of the best France has ever dished out.

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
These non TT races are a bloody farce. Meyer takes 1/3 of a lap on Swifts group but gets a lap because he catches the laughing group.

nonsense. i'm sure i heard the commentators say it was being driven by De Ketele, the race leader at that point. Meyer put a lap in them, fair and square.

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Pendleton is obviously not going to win in London.

I commend her use of skill and talent over the other 2, but I suspect we've now reached the end of the time when you can be that much smaller, and that much less power, than the other 'girls' and expect to make up for it some other way.[/QUOTE

Dont Mention that to Laura Trott... Another Minature Pocket Rocket.