• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Member Suspension Appreciation/Depreciation Thread

Page 162 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that. As far as I'm aware there is no easy way to tell.

I don't think there is any set number of bans, it's all assessed on what people are banned for, interactions out-with what gets them banned etc. I've not been involved in a perma-ban so can't really comment, but it's not a decision taken lightly. The majority of bans, even short ones, are discussed between the mod team members who are around at the time.

Re:

King Boonen said:
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that. As far as I'm aware there is no easy way to tell.

I don't think there is any set number of bans, it's all assessed on what people are banned for, interactions out-with what gets them banned etc. I've not been involved in a perma-ban so can't really comment, but it's not a decision taken lightly. The majority of bans, even short ones, are discussed between the mod team members who are around at the time.

Ok, thanks KB.

I thought you were involved in the Blackcat permanent ban??

Re: Re:

JackRabbitSlims said:
King Boonen said:

Ok, thanks KB.

I thought you were involved in the Blackcat permanent ban??

No problem.

No, that was just before I became a moderator.

Re:

JackRabbitSlims said:
Genuine question:-
Are you (the mod / admin team) able to let us who know who has received the most bans, yet is still able to participate in the forum??

I notice thehog is once again banned for a period of time......how many times do you keep banning the same members for the same dumb chit before you kick them to the curb for good??

#getridofthedeadwoodforgood

Maybe doing an advanced search and defining the parameters, though I'm not aware if it is possible to search by topic.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

JackRabbitSlims said:
Are you (the mod / admin team) able to let us who know who has received the most bans, yet is still able to participate in the forum??

I notice thehog is once again banned for a period of time......how many times do you keep banning the same members for the same dumb chit before you kick them to the curb for good??

I like thehogs posts. I miss blackcats and others who left. ie MrsJohnMurphy.

Just because people push the boundaries every now and again does not mean they need to be permabanned.

Benotti69 said:
JackRabbitSlims said:

Just because people push the boundaries every now and again does not mean they need to be permabanned.
Blackcat didn't "push the boundries every now and again", if he only did that he'd still be a member here.

Just to be clear, I thought Blackcat had a wealth of cycling knowledge and posted some great comments, but his insistence on consistently breaking major forum rules was his own choice and inevitable undoing. There has never, nor will there ever be again a member given as many chances to be a contributing member of the forum.

If anyone doesn't believe me, ask him for yourself on twitter.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Irondan said:
Benotti69 said:
JackRabbitSlims said:

Blackcat didn't "push the boundries every now and again", if he only did that he'd still be a member here.

Just to be clear, I thought Blackcat had a wealth of cycling knowledge and posted some great comments, but his insistence on consistently breaking major forum rules was his own choice and inevitable undoing. There has never, nor will there ever be again a member given as many chances to be a contributing member of the forum.

You joined 2 sentences and came up with a story. :)

I did not say blackcat pushed the boundaries every now and again. I understand BC decided not to 'tone down' or 'reign in' in his style of posting and accepted the inevitable. I am in here on record saying that. I posted that i miss his posts in the clinic.

Apologies for any misunderstanding, nor was it an attack on moderation.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
JackRabbitSlims said:

The hog is a valued member of this forum, and adds color and entertainment with his posts.

PS-
hoggy, love how you decked out your roadside setup at the Tour

gettyimages_813269132_670.jpg

Benotti69 said:
Irondan said:
Benotti69 said:
JackRabbitSlims said:

You joined 2 sentences and came up with a story. :)

I did not say blackcat pushed the boundaries every now and again. I understand BC decided not to 'tone down' or 'reign in' in his style of posting and accepted the inevitable. I am in here on record saying that. I posted that i miss his posts in the clinic.

Apologies for any misunderstanding, nor was it an attack on moderation.

Yeah, hog might have gone with adderalled box of rocks on that last one. More in protocol.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
blutto's bannination makes no sense. I searched his past posts and he has been in the politics thread for the past 3 days. None of that was trolling was it?
No explanation? Seems weird.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Got some good info. I think someone else from that thread was just as guilty if those are the rules.
In my opinion it was a good set up.
Nice game that was played on him.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Semper Fidelis said:
blutto's bannination makes no sense. I searched his past posts and he has been in the politics thread for the past 3 days. None of that was trolling was it?
agree completely w/semper, though i have not had a chance to read all the posts. BLUTTO is one of the most un selfish contributors posting tonnes of link and references. Reading even 10% of the references , which is about my level, should make anyone better informed on a subject regarding of the biases in a particular direction.

Blutto uses his own brand of irony and sarcasm which may get misinterpreted but is surely not, NOT trolling.

I SUSPECT A MOD who initiated the ban in being not enttirely impersonal...some sharp exchanges btwn the banned and the banner come to mind...l may not be entirely informed, but it may help if we get a snip or better yet a direct line of quotes for which blutto was banned...

Not a challege to the mods but a call to transparency

python said:
Semper Fidelis said:
agree completely w/semper, though i have not had a chance to read all the posts. BLUTTO is one of the most un selfish contributors posting tonnes of link and references. Reading even 10% of the references , which is about my level, should make anyone better informed on a subject regarding of the biases in a particular direction.

Blutto uses his own brand of irony and sarcasm which may get misinterpreted but is surely not, NOT trolling.

I SUSPECT A MOD who initiated the ban in being not enttirely impersonal...some sharp exchanges btwn the banned and the banner come to mind...l may not be entirely informed, but it may help if we get a snip or better yet a direct line of quotes for which blutto was banned...

The decision to ban Blutto was not King Boonan's decision to make alone. We deliberated behind closed doors and came up with the action that was taken. It's possible that we might need to look a little closer at the other party's responsibility in this but only for possible action with that person too.

We're as transparent as we can be, if you have any questions please ask. :)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site

Irondan said:
python said:
Semper Fidelis said:

The decision to ban Blutto was not King Boonan's decision to make alone. We deliberated behind closed doors and came up with the action that was taken. It's possible that we might need to look a little closer at the other party's responsibility in this but only for possible action with that person too.

thank you, dan for some clarifications. It is well known from the multiple explanations of the mod team that NO banning verdict is taken singilarly. That is good and fair. But i specifically said a" mod who initiated....'. I also was rather specific in my request, though being a mod myself for many years (a public admission i just made for the 1st time ever)i Do understand your limitations. The request was direct and clear - pls provide the link or quotes for which blutto received the ban...again, i am in transition having a limited opportunity to read the forum.

Also appreciate your mention of the need for more balance. Cheers.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Irondan said:
python said:
Semper Fidelis said:

I think the rules here were not used on a consistent basis. Just read that thread the person other than blutto was clearly breaking rules and baiting him. MY OPINION.

Semper Fidelis said:
Irondan said:
python said:
Semper Fidelis said:

I think the rules here were not used on a consistent basis. Just read that thread the person other than blutto was clearly breaking rules and baiting him. MY OPINION.
Baiting is highly subjective that is looked at by numerous mods until there's a consensus. Sometimes not everyone agree's with the decision.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
THIS GM character is a problem.
Sad that this was the outcome.

What in the world is really going on? How can this person / member cause that much trouble and still stand tall?

Irondan said:
python said:
Semper Fidelis said:

Fwiw, I can't imagine Alpe or Eshnar being being involved in the collective discussion, certainly not with any level of power.
Anyway this will be my last comment on this subject.

python said:
Semper Fidelis said:

You have a better memory than me python, pretty sure my last interaction with Blutto was over Grenfell and we agreed. As Dan said, it wasn't a singular decision from myself. It was over interactions in the bikes and gear general section.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Irondan said:
Baiting is highly subjective that is looked at by numerous mods until there's a consensus. Sometimes not everyone agree's with the decision.

Yes..... but in this case either side could have shut it down at any time. Neither did. One party gets hit with the ban hammer.

Who considers this a fair outcome?

Btw, maybe it's because I don't pay close attention but the current mod team is as good as it's been since the start. Credit where it's due, my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS