• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Member Suspension Appreciation/Depreciation Thread

Page 118 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Scott SoCal said:
Scott SoCal said:
BigMac said:
For the record, bans are issued as a team - they aren't the sole initiative of the mod who announces them, so they (mod) shouldn't receive individual criticism nor be personally attacked. Letting you know in advance, as a post here has been deleted for insults aimed at a mod. We don't like giving warnings nor banning people. So, by all means, appreciate and depreciate, but in a respectful way.

Cheers.

Apparently there are active mods that aren't part of the "team." Alpe says he wasn't consulted on the Chewie ban nonsense. Chewie was fairly prolific in the Cafe so I'd imagine - if the mod team was trying to get all sides - you all might have considered what Alpe had to say.

But you didn't.

Again, banning folks like Chewie and HJ is the forums loss.

Ok, so the the silence is deafening.

I'm only to assume the mod "team" is going to stick to their decision without reconsideration. There was a time when the likes of Race Radio, TFF/Chewie, Dr Maserati, BroDeal, 131313 and hosts of other major contributors here made this forum worthwhile. Those days are over and it's pretty obvious why.

Too bad.
Don't forget that a lot of the older posters from 09-13 kind of turned on each other a little bit when WonderBoy finally faced the music. This brought a fair bit of unsettling infighting and changes in posting. Dr Mas became Dr Vortex, BroDeal turned sour, Race Radio started backing JV/Sky, Chewie started posting less outside the café, WonderLance shifted his attention (somewhat prophetically) to Sky but wasn't quite the same - these are just a few examples...

There's a few different reasons the forum has turned over a lot of members.

Yep when the battle over Armstrong was won, lots of things changed with some posters. Some saw that in reality Armstrong was only one bad piece of a very dark puzzle while others saw a new cleanER puzzle after Armstrong and this led to 'divergences'....

I liked MrsJohnMurphy another no nonsense approach to posting.

Anyways for those interested most of the above post on the twittermachine.

Still think Chewie's ban should be reduced. Especially in the light that not all mods were consulted after being told all were....IIRC.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget that a lot of the older posters from 09-13 kind of turned on each other a little bit when WonderBoy finally faced the music. This brought a fair bit of unsettling infighting and changes in posting. Dr Mas became Dr Vortex, BroDeal turned sour, Race Radio started backing JV/Sky, Chewie started posting less outside the café, WonderLance shifted his attention (somewhat prophetically) to Sky but wasn't quite the same - these are just a few examples...

I don't think it's bad for a forum to have some controversy. Things get boring pretty quickly when everyone agrees on everything.

The problem with the Hog/BroDeal vs JV-brigade arguments were, as usual, that the mods were handing out bans left and right for little reason. This eventually led to people on all sides feeling like they were treated unfairly and many posters, who were also contributing good content elsewhere, left the forum.

If you chase away most of the posters who provide the content, it's not exactly hard to figure out what happens next. You get a ghost town with a few good posters left, and the occasional bot popping up now and then.

While many good points have been made in defense of some posters, it's probably also worth considering blaming the posters themselves, and not the mods, for those posters repeatedly, incessantly and vigorously ignoring the rules of the forum and refusing to respond to requests to temper some of the behavior.

It definitely sucks that we've lost some good folks. It also sucks that there seems to be a lack of any personal responsibility being taken, or any being asked for by some forum members. No one's getting lengthy bans without a loooooong history of abusive behavior toward members and/or mods.

Sucks that Chewie's gone for 12 months. I don't blame the mods, I blame Chewie. He knows better.

The forum rules are hardly unreasonable. One can be an edgy, interesting and colorful poster without repeatedly and flagrantly ignoring the simple rules of the forum. Too bad some good posters can't learn that.

Re:

the sceptic said:

I don't think it's bad for a forum to have some controversy. Things get boring pretty quickly when everyone agrees on everything.

The problem with the Hog/BroDeal vs JV-brigade arguments were, as usual, that the mods were handing out bans left and right for little reason. This eventually led to people on all sides feeling like they were treated unfairly and many posters, who were also contributing good content elsewhere, left the forum.

If you chase away most of the posters who provide the content, it's not exactly hard to figure out what happens next. You get a ghost town with a few good posters left, and the occasional bot popping up now and then.

It is good to have profanity-spouting attack dogs around if you want to shut down speech. That is one way to create either a homogeneous forum (yuck) or a bitterly rancorous one (even worse).

Chewbacca thrived because he posted right on the border of bannable insult all the time. His style worked for him because other posters would only rarely descend to his level of profanity. He didn't care if he got a short ban. It was no deterrent to him. He was adept at gaming the forum rules.

Re:

the sceptic said:
42x16ss said:

For sure, however, you have to admit that the atmosphere was a little toxic for a while and didn't improve until there was some new blood.

Re:

red_flanders said:
While many good points have been made in defense of some posters, it's probably also worth considering blaming the posters themselves, and not the mods, for those posters repeatedly, incessantly and vigorously ignoring the rules of the forum and refusing to respond to requests to temper some of the behavior.

It definitely sucks that we've lost some good folks. It also sucks that there seems to be a lack of any personal responsibility being taken, or any being asked for by some forum members. No one's getting lengthy bans without a loooooong history of abusive behavior toward members and/or mods.

Sucks that Chewie's gone for 12 months. I don't blame the mods, I blame Chewie. He knows better.

The forum rules are hardly unreasonable. One can be an edgy, interesting and colorful poster without repeatedly and flagrantly ignoring the simple rules of the forum. Too bad some good posters can't learn that.

Absolutely, it is really not hard to abide by the rules. Long standing members constantly ignore them, from obvious clinic references in the PRR (or the "how close to an obvious clinic reference can I make while still claiming it isn't" game) to personal insults and outright mocking. From what I've seen the mods are actually incredibly lenient, it would be very easy for them to ban large numbers of posters for breaking the rules but time and time again they spend the time removing posts, cleaning up threads and asking people to obey the rules when their jobs would be fair easier if they just suspended the people who do it, and it is almost always the same people.

Frankly, if you get banned it is more than likely 100% your fault for ignoring the rules and ignoring the warnings and chances the mod team hand out.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site

Scott SoCal said:
BigMac said:
For the record, bans are issued as a team - they aren't the sole initiative of the mod who announces them, so they (mod) shouldn't receive individual criticism nor be personally attacked. Letting you know in advance, as a post here has been deleted for insults aimed at a mod. We don't like giving warnings nor banning people. So, by all means, appreciate and depreciate, but in a respectful way.

Cheers.

Apparently there are active mods that aren't part of the "team." Alpe says he wasn't consulted on the Chewie ban nonsense. Chewie was fairly prolific in the Cafe so I'd imagine - if the mod team was trying to get all sides - you all might have considered what Alpe had to say.

But you didn't.

Chewie and HJ, Amster, Foxxy and everyone else could apply some filters to what and how they post if they're worried about being allowed to continue posting. I've been banned a few times and I'll be the first to admit I said the things I did that earned me a vacation just for the fun of ***-starting. At the end of the day this is just a forum on the internet, a little mental masturbation for the masses. Follow the rules, however asinine they may be, or take your bans and laugh about it. I doubt anyone will die from not being allowed to post here.

patricknd said:
Scott SoCal said:
BigMac said:

Cheers.

But you didn't.

Chewie and HJ, Amster, Foxxy and everyone else could apply some filters to what and how they post if they're worried about being allowed to continue posting. I've been banned a few times and I'll be the first to admit I said the things I did that earned me a vacation just for the fun of ***-starting. At the end of the day this is just a forum on the internet, a little mental masturbation for the masses. Follow the rules, however asinine they may be, or take your bans and laugh about it. I doubt anyone will die from not being allowed to post here.

Chewie has been pushing the boundaries for a long time. I do like to arm wrestle with him now and then but he is simply not open to any other view points other than his own. A little time off to calm the water never hurt anyone... myself included.

Re:

the sceptic said:

The issue comes down to "report posting" and self moderation. For a mod when there is little activity and no posts being reported the forum is running well in their world. When there is a lot of posts reported they feel they need to take control, so they do and the quickest method is to ban.

Taking the example of parliament or congress; there is a speaker of the house who allows the debate to flow but controls the outbursts. The forum needs similar here but no mod has the time to read every post and make a deduction whether it’s a point well made or trolling etc.

The issue really came down when there was a concerted campaign to report posts, PM mods, email Benson to have people banned. Things got scary as people were taking things way too seriously. Some of things that I saw were out of control.

For example I used to be on a group PM which would inform me that a certain posters were working directly for Lance. Of course at the time I was stupid enough to believe it and made sure I challenged that person with the inside information I was given. In hindsight all the PM was doing was causing conflict etc. by having others stir up trouble. My bad for believing it.

The mods job is so hard. There only method is to ban because then the problem goes away and they can have a rest.

thehog said:
The issue really came down when there was a concerted campaign to report posts, PM mods, email Benson to have people banned. Things got scary as people were taking things way too seriously. Some of things that I saw were out of control.

I'm curious, how would you know this was happening? None of those things should be visible to a standard forum member. We people telling you they were doing this?

I freely admit that I report posts, I think we all should. But that's all I do and leave it up to the mods. Emailing DB to get someone banned from the forum is pretty much insane...

King Boonen said:
thehog said:

I'm curious, how would you know this was happening? None of those things should be visible to a standard forum member. We people telling you they were doing this?

I freely admit that I report posts, I think we all should. But that's all I do and leave it up to the mods. Emailing DB to get someone banned from the forum is pretty much insane...

The mods are aware and I don't think appropriate to publish here, similar to the PMs I used to get about people working on the inside for Lance; they are laughable now, I don't take it seriously in the slightest. I've apoligised directly to the poster who I was told was working for Armstrong. The Clinic is meant to be fun, a lot of people get so upset if there is some debate over a riders performance etc.

I guess the irony of it all is that Armstrong spent so many years trying to control the message. After his downfall there was a new message which needed to be controlled.

Tommy D testing positive probably just sums it all up... cycling is never about good and evil. Bottom line is everyone is trying to protect their own interests and revenue streams whilst using the term "anti-doping' as branding.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site

King Boonen said:
thehog said:

mods have told me my posts get reported all the time. I'm not surprised, as it seems like a good strategy to drown the mods in reports to get a poster you don't like banned.

the sceptic said:
King Boonen said:
thehog said:

mods have told me my posts get reported all the time. I'm not surprised, as it seems like a good strategy to drown the mods in reports to get a poster you don't like banned.

I once saw a post on another forum whereby a form user admitted to coming to the Clinic with several different accounts to wind everyone up. Its fairly easy to drop in the few posts then start reporting like crazy.

But that's not the only example. Several good and long time posters got into the game of lobbying for bans. It was disappointing but not unexpected.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Did we post this already?

COpPN9WUcAA_Nts.jpg:large

Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
To clarify: RetardRaceRadio is a RaceRadio parody account, who managed to bait Benson.

This merely underlines what we've all known - and it's pure BS....Race had the run of this place for long enough...constantly replied to hog first, even though he complained hog numerous times, then Hog would reply back - and Hog gets the ban....race insults, then runs off like a baby complaining to mods and others.

As for Chew -he became race radio's lapdog - doing his bidding for him on here - hardly ever not insulting someone and then letting everyone know for the millionth time that he was in law school or had passed the bar etc like becoming a lawyer or getting a degree is something anyone gets a f*** about

How he got away with it as long as he did actually reflects very badly on the mods.
Back to the initial screenshot - what a joke.

Digger said:
Dear Wiggo said:
To clarify: RetardRaceRadio is a RaceRadio parody account, who managed to bait Benson.

This merely underlines what we've all known - and it's pure BS....Race had the run of this place for long enough...constantly replied to hog first, even though he complained hog numerous times, then Hog would reply back - and Hog gets the ban....race insults, then runs off like a baby complaining to mods and others.

As for Chew -he became race radio's lapdog - doing his bidding for him on here - hardly ever not insulting someone and then letting everyone know for the millionth time that he was in law school or had passed the bar etc like becoming a lawyer or getting a degree is something anyone gets a f*** about

How he got away with it as long as he did actually reflects very badly on the mods.

****! I can't believe it! I completely and totally agree with Digger on this.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site

Digger said:
Dear Wiggo said:

thanks for proving my point.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

TheSpud said:
blutto said:
.... that was most funny.....ah, say it ain't so....I was so sure everyone here posted clean...

Cheers

No-one here posts clean - except the Brits ...

... joke

....drat!....another delusional thingee crushed asunder and so on an so forth....and good point about the Brits, I keep forgetting...

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS