• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Menchov vs Schleck........ the Battle for second

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Schleck in interview today "No disrespect to the other riders, Menchov, Sanchez, etc. but I think it's between Alberto and me"

Menchov in interview today "I think [I can take 3 30 off Andy]. I won't stop fighting till the end"

Questions:

If it rains again, will Andy repeat his horrible time trial from the prologue?

Is Menchov realistic in saying that he can catch Andy?

Is Andy being naive in saying there's no threat from Menchov?

Biffins said:
Schleck in interview today "No disrespect to the other riders, Menchov, Sanchez, etc. but I think it's between Alberto and me"

Menchov in interview today "I think [I can take 3 30 off Andy]. I won't stop fighting till the end"

Questions:

If it rains again, will Andy repeat his horrible time trial from the prologue?

Is Menchov realistic in saying that he can catch Andy?

Is Andy being naive in saying there's no threat from Menchov?
Andy is being coy. He didn't build up his gap to Menchov as much as he could today for no reason. Even with 3 1/2 minutes, it's still not impossible for Menchov to catch him, and they both know it.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
Looking at last years 40.5km ITT, Contador beat Schleck by 1:45, Jurgen Van Den Broeck by 2:26 (and Cancellara by 0:03). Two years ago, on the 53km ITT, Cancellara beat Menchov by 1:34, Samu Sanchez by 2:53, and AS by 3:41
While I think both Sanchez and Schleck will ride stronger, Denis Menchov has a history of doing really well in the TT's that matter.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Lets see how they have done: Menchov took 13 seconds from Schleck while finishing in the same time as Sanchez. In 2008 the last time all three were in the Tour and competitive for the final TT: Menchov was @ 1:55 Sanchez @ 3:14 and Schleck @ 4:02. So Menchov is saying what he has to say but since he never in his life has taken 3 minutes from Schleck barring some Rasmusen in '05 type bike handling from Schleck it ain't happening. More interesting would be if he can finish ahead of Sanchez.

Menchov is too far back now unless Schleck does "a chicken Rasmussen " like time trial and crashes two or three times. I hope Sanchez hangs on to third as well with all of the misfortune he has had. Menchov has spent the entire race doing what Leipheimer and Evans get criticised for doing and everyone thinks he has had a superb race. Okay, on one stage he attacked when Schleck and Contador decided to stop and practice their track sprints. Even Menchov could not resist that sort of opportunity. Considering his youth and experience, for me Gesink has been more impressive than Menchov.

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't think they were Menchov's exact words.

He was asked do you think you can get the 3 1/2 minutes back on Schleck in the TT and he said he'd try but didn't seem at all confident.

I think he's more concerned about getting the 3rd place from Samu!

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
i may be off kilter here, but for some reason I have a gut feeling that AS is about to pull off the TT of his life.
just something in the way he n riis have been talking of it has me wondering if something's up...

I noticed that too. Odds on the following?
1. Cancellara rides wearing an Andy Schleck mask
2. Overnight surgery sees Cancellara's legs attached to Andy's upper body (or "thorax" as Sherwen had it last night)
3. Andy borrows Cancellara's motor from Paris Roubaix
Can't see any other way for him to take time off Contador, but he may just have enough of a buffer on DM and SS.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
dsut4392 said:
I noticed that too. Odds on the following?
1. Cancellara rides wearing an Andy Schleck mask
2. Overnight surgery sees Cancellara's legs attached to Andy's upper body (or "thorax" as Sherwen had it last night)
3. Andy borrows Cancellara's motor from Paris Roubaix
Can't see any other way for him to take time off Contador, but he may just have enough of a buffer on DM and SS.

I think Andy chances of beating Contador are higher than his risk of losing to Menchov. That being said, I don't think either is likely.

TRENDING THREADS