• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Menchov

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jeremy Whittle ‏@jeremycwhittle · 4 h
Tony Martin is asked about Menchov; "Can we speak about the victory today? Not about Menchov?"

Marc Perel ‏@MarcPerel · 3 h
@Digger_forum @jeremycwhittle @zkrige "You just won a stage can we talk about that sneaky f'n Russian now?" Journos need to time their Qs.

well, If I just won a stage in the Tour, and what a stage T.Martin won today, I'd wouldn't give a flip about Menchov, and wouldn't have anything to say.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
pastronef said:
Tony Martin is asked about Menchov; "Can we speak about the victory today? Not about Menchov?"

@Digger_forum @jeremycwhittle @zkrige "You just won a stage can we talk about that sneaky f'n Russian now?" Journos need to time their Qs.

well, If I just won a stage in the Tour, and what a stage T.Martin won today, I'd wouldn't give a flip about Menchov, and wouldn't have anything to say.

Sorry but Martin has to address it now as it comes as part of the territory and he must speak out to change it, be omertish and come under suspicion for not condemning doping oh and get used to it.

Benotti69 said:
Someone should fly Kimmage over for it. :D

No, women's cycling needs the attention it can get, and attention for it was one of Cookson's selling points. I want to see what he has to say about targets he may yet attain before we pressure him more on the ones he's already failed to attain. Women's cycling getting pushed aside for talk of doping in men's cycling is pretty par for the course of course ;)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
No, women's cycling needs the attention it can get, and attention for it was one of Cookson's selling points. I want to see what he has to say about targets he may yet attain before we pressure him more on the ones he's already failed to attain. Women's cycling getting pushed aside for talk of doping in men's cycling is pretty par for the course of course ;)

Agreed that Women's cycling needs all the attention it can get.

Cookson should have a second press conference to address the Menchov ban.

Benotti69 said:
Sorry but Martin has to address it now as it comes as part of the territory and he must speak out to change it, be omertish and come under suspicion for not condemning doping oh and get used to it.

I understand what you say but, Menchov did not ride in Tony's team, he's not riding this Tour, has already retired, and the news from the Uci came out now, so very late.

well, he could've said something about the delay of the Uci announcement.

and his team probably told him to make no comments about it.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
pastronef said:
I understand what you say but, Menchov did not ride in Tony's team, he's not riding this Tour, has already retired, and the news from the Uci came out now, so very late.

well, he could've said something about the delay of the Uci announcement.

and his team probably told him to make no comments about it.

He is part of the sport as was Menchov. Menchov lost his TdF results so it is relevant to every rider in the race.

pastronef said:

The people they should ask about Menchov are the Katusha and Belkin team managers, it has nothing to do with Tony Martin

It was clear he was one of the riders involved in Padova investigation.
This is an issue from 2009, not and issue of current cycling.
When cycling started to change a lot of riders were afected, some of them are very good as well in the new era.
Others as Menchov or Mayo didnt want to follow for some reason,... I was a fan of them, but now I see thinks in other way,
Evans has the same age, and he is still there doing well.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
del1962 said:
The people they should ask about Menchov are the Katusha and Belkin team managers, it has nothing to do with Tony Martin

Yes, fully agree, but today it is newsworthy so today's winner would be asked.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Taxus4a said:
It was clear he was one of the riders involved in Padova investigation.
This is an issue from 2009, not and issue of current cycling.
When cycling started to change a lot of riders were afected, some of them are very good as well in the new era.
Others as Menchov or Mayo didnt want to follow for some reason,... I was a fan of them, but now I see thinks in other way,
Evans has the same age, and he is still there doing well.

It is an issue of current cycling. Time and time again the excuse of it being in the past has been used. The same people Menchov worked with are still in the sport hence why it is current.

The sport has to look past just the doping riders to who enables it.

Benotti69 said:
It is an issue of current cycling. Time and time again the excuse of it being in the past has been used. The same people Menchov worked with are still in the sport hence why it is current.

The sport has to look past just the doping riders to who enables it.

it is the past, bio pasport, but not only biopassport has changed everything. of course best teams has more money and can do more thing, but now it is not ilegal things that make the difference, but legal.

It has been a long fight and it must be like that always, but now, in 2014, most of problems has gone in that aspect. In the way, a lot of sactionated people, and a lot of cyclist out, as Menchov, Ricco, Mayo, lot of OP riders, etc.. but it has been a necessary price to pay. it is something that I know, but anyway it is somthing that Hamilton says, Lemond says, Lance says, a lot of people says, why they need to say that?

Now french riders and colombian riders are again what they were before blod doping.

Despite the improvement of preparations, and material, 7 w/kg again in a long climb as Hautacam is not possible... maybe in the future, becouse performance always tend to improve, of course, but not now.

Of course always will be people that try to explain everything with doping theories.., that would be possible, now, in the 70s and always, but now there are a lot of things that indicates that thing have changed, you can be blind if you want, but it is just your choice ;)

Just to say: Santambroglio is an issue of the present, you will always have things like that, but Menchov issue is a problem of the past. I know what a say, and I was beside a journalist when someone phone her and said: 5 kathousa riders are involved in a doping case, one of them was close to that journalist in that moment...and I knew from long time ago that this day about Menchov will take place.

Taxus4a said:
Just to say: Santambroglio is an issue of the present, you will always have things like that, but Menchov issue is a problem of the past. I know what a say, and I was beside a journalist when someone phone her and said: 5 kathousa riders are involved in a doping case, one of them was close to that journalist in that moment...and I knew from long time ago that this day about Menchov will take place.
689menchov_porte.jpg

20134196-208590-659x440.jpg

10 years ago I tell you!

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Yes, fully agree, but today it is newsworthy so today's winner would be asked.
I have to disagree. Todays Tour has nothing to do with a character like Menchov.
Cookson should however. If he has a sack? Hold his press-conference on schedule. Start by saying only talk of women's cycling. They deserve it!

After all ? have been taken on THAT subject. Then and only then. Should he open the floor to ANY ? about what the heck is going on at the UCI lately. i.e. Froome TUE, Zorzoli, Menchov and the handling of it and all the other under handed back room stuff going on lately.