• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Menchov

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
So is Sastre now a double Grand Tour winner or what? Or did Denis only intended to dope for the 2009 Giro?

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=MTU3Mjg&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=Nzk5OTY&LangId=1

Says TDF 09/10/12 only, earlier in this thread somewhere someone stated (probably with a link) that only the times when the BP found unusual values can they take away results. If they went hard on Menchov, Sastre would have all 3 GTs.

As a general comment, few probably remember the tsunami of Russian positives from 2013 in Track and Field.

Russian sport does not translate anything into English except for the barest minimum, and in some cases not even that. For some of the Track and Field positives, I just assumed an English sportswriter actually had some Cyrillic basis for their reporting because an anonymous Internet w@nker couldn't find the "official announcement" in English.

We know for sure the case went to Makarov's federation. Which, is interesting. Maybe the not announcing forever more was as good a deal as he got. We know for sure Makarov assisted Cookson in landing the Presidency.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
thehook said:
I have to disagree. Todays Tour has nothing to do with a character like Menchov.
Cookson should however. If he has a sack? Hold his press-conference on schedule. Start by saying only talk of women's cycling. They deserve it!

After all ? have been taken on THAT subject. Then and only then. Should he open the floor to ANY ? about what the heck is going on at the UCI lately. i.e. Froome TUE, Zorzoli, Menchov and the handling of it and all the other under handed back room stuff going on lately.

Kathusa has admitted they knew of Menchovs bio passport case when he retired and that it was (part of) the reason for the retirerment. Still Ekimov was sniffing around him as late as in December and trying to get him as a trainer.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
thehook said:
I have to disagree. Todays Tour has nothing to do with a character like Menchov.

I strongly disagree. Who runs the teams partaking in this tour? Riis, Lefevere, Maasen, Vino, Vaughters, Madiot etc etc all with a history of doping and somehow a character like Menchov has nothing to do with today's tour!! WOW!

thehook said:
Cookson should however. If he has a sack? Hold his press-conference on schedule. Start by saying only talk of women's cycling. They deserve it!

Yes they do.

thehook said:
After all ? have been taken on THAT subject. Then and only then. Should he open the floor to ANY ? about what the heck is going on at the UCI lately. i.e. Froome TUE, Zorzoli, Menchov and the handling of it and all the other under handed back room stuff going on lately.

If Cookson was truly intent on cleaning up the sport and addressing the doping problems he would hold a second seperate press conference about the recent bans, Menchov, Santambrogio, Kemp etc etc

May 26, 2010
Visit site
thehook said:

Today' stage finishes on La Planche des Belles Filles. Last time the tour finished here, 2012, yeah that long ago.

Top10 of that stage

1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky Procycling 4:58:35
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:02
3 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling
4 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:00:07
5 Rein Taaramae (Est) Cofidis, Le Credit En Ligne 0:00:19
6 Haimar Zubeldia Agirre (Spa) RadioShack-Nissan 0:00:44
7 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:00:46
8 Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Astana Pro Team
9 Denis Menchov (Rus) Katusha Team 0:00:50
10 Maxime Monfort (Bel) RadioShack-Nissan 0:00:56

I think only Menchov has retired. So it is relevant to today. Since he was bsuted for his TdFs how about we ask questions of all those characters that finished above Menchov?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Today' stage finishes on La Planche des Belles Filles. Last time the tour finished here, 2012, yeah that long ago.

Top10 of that stage

1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky Procycling 4:58:35
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:02
3 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling
4 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:00:07
5 Rein Taaramae (Est) Cofidis, Le Credit En Ligne 0:00:19
6 Haimar Zubeldia Agirre (Spa) RadioShack-Nissan 0:00:44
7 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:00:46
8 Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Astana Pro Team
9 Denis Menchov (Rus) Katusha Team 0:00:50
10 Maxime Monfort (Bel) RadioShack-Nissan 0:00:56

I think only Menchov has retired. So it is relevant to today. Since he was bsuted for his TdFs how about we ask questions of all those characters that finished above Menchov?
menchov is from a previous generation though.
just missed out on that wave of human evolution that the new clean generation is blessed with.
the poor sucker still needed to juice to finish somewhere near the clean and naturally more gifted athletes.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
just missed out on that wave of human evolution that the new clean generation is blessed with.
the poor sucker still needed to juice to finish somewhere near the clean and naturally more gifted athletes.

He obviously missed the memo in 2006 that said to stop doping.

sniper said:

Including those with misfortunes of Bilharzia and post dated TUEs, along with those who relied upon marginal gains instead.

Dave.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
del1962 said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cookson-hits-back-over-handling-of-menchov-doping-case

Cooksons statement on Menchov case, apparently Menchov accepted it, don't think the statement will satisfy those who don't like the way the UCI handled it, but it is what it is.

Cookson said:
The only tine (Sic) we've commented on doping cases that have been completed or in progress, is when a rider or his team, national Federation or others have commented. We've confirmed or not as the case maybe.
Be interested to know if any other case has had a press release other than the above situations.

Benotti69 said:
It is an issue of current cycling. Time and time again the excuse of it being in the past has been used. The same people Menchov worked with are still in the sport hence why it is current.
I would agree with this. If current riders are frustrated with the questions that's too bad. They have to sleep in the bed their fellow siblings made.

The funny thing is, riders can likely placate the media journos with one quick sentence or statement. I'd say something like, "he cheated, they caught him, he's out of the sport. Good. The more we can clear everything bad out, the better."

But just like going back to 1998, the omerta still seems to hold a grip, even on clean(?) riders.

Don't be late Pedro said:
Be interested to know if any other case has had a press release other than the above situations.

It's a truthful statement from Cookson. The modern way the cases seem to work is after every party is satisfied, there are formal statements from relevant parties and that's all. It could take days, it could take months if the athlete spends money on a lawyer.

If you go back to McQuaid and some of their cases, they were making some announcements about cases taking the athlete by surprise.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Pat McQuaid said:
"In April of last year I was approached by anti-doping to tell me they had suspicions of the parameters of Menchov and they were going to open a process. ... I said go ahead and do it. And so they did."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-says-he-started-menchov-doping-proceedings

What odd phrasing, Pat. What this says to me is that, if Pat had said "Don't do it," the case against Menchov would have disappeared.

The other option is Pat is just letting his mouth go without his brain having any say.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
filipo said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-says-he-started-menchov-doping-proceedings

What odd phrasing, Pat. What this says to me is that, if Pat had said "Don't do it," the case against Menchov would have disappeared.

The other option is Pat is just letting his mouth go without his brain having any say.

I was just coming here to post the same thing. What if McQuaid had said "Meh. Don't bother"? Better yet, why did this conversation even take place? My take is that things are so corrupt that this isn't even seen as an issue.

Kind of like when Race Radio let slip (later confirmed by JV himself) that Gripper was telling Vaughters about who was clean/suspicious/etc. Amazing stuff.

John Swanson

filipo said:

lol, very nice.

Until we have a fully funded, completely independent (and very transparent) anti dope unit with powers to ban riders, the system can and will be exploited.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
May 26, 2010
Visit site
@BrianCooksonUCI : "If there is a case that is of public interest, I think we have to announce it".

A 3 time GT winner gets a 2 year ban and no announcement. Who does Cookson think he is kidding. No public interest in doping cases anymore unless they have won 7 in a row, i suppose. Hard to tell the amount of BS coming out of Aigle at the moment.

Benotti69 said:
A 3 time GT winner gets a 2 year ban and no announcement. Who does Cookson think he is kidding. No public interest in doping cases anymore unless they have won 7 in a row, i suppose. Hard to tell the amount of BS coming out of Aigle at the moment.

No public interest in doping cases that involve athletes from the Federation that helped got you elected.

Got it. Cookson is good. Change takes time. And it's a complex legal situation :rolleyes:

thehog said:
No public interest in doping cases that involve athletes from the Federation that helped got you elected.

Got it. Cookson is good. Change takes time. And it's a complex legal situation :rolleyes:

The UCI is all about marginal gains ... Cookson only has one relative working in a clear CoI situation, Phat had two ... marginal gains !

TRENDING THREADS