• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
What I don't understand is how someone can get their condition so wrong. Its not like he was dropping time at the end of climbs, he was out the back barely ahead of the sprinters when the speed went up on an uphill.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Menchov and Co

Alexzulle, are we to assume that all riders are "on the juice" and any lack of form constitutes a lack of "assistance".:confused:

If so, how do riders ala Lance, who from a far appears to being tested as often as he can p*@s, get passed controls. Are we saying that the science is ahead of the testing???:eek:

If thats the case, after last nights ride to Verbier would mean that Contador was well and truly "assisted" and Menchov etc had "overdrawn" their accounts.:cool:

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Overdrawn

Nobody's ever won two grand tours in sequence going back to Merckx. (Meaning Giro/TdF or TdF/Vuelta)

That said, he is not riding well at all. Maybe because he's trying to stay upright? :confused:

The Giro was very hard tho'

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
He won a hard Giro in May. Maybe there is just not a lot of gas left in the tank.

I agree that this is a big part of it. Menchov normally has done better in his second GT of the year, but that was when he was not firing on all 8 in the first GT. He was smokin' in the Giro and it was a very competitive race, so that had to take a lot out of him. I know that sometimes my form goes downhill for no reason I can think of (and no, it is not related to doping :) )

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
cody_57 said:
Nobody's ever won two grand tours in sequence going back to Merckx. (Meaning Giro/TdF or TdF/Vuelta)

That said, he is not riding well at all. Maybe because he's trying to stay upright? :confused:

The Giro was very hard tho'

Pantani did the Giro/TdF in 98.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The suspicions are that Menchov and Rabo in particular may be dope free this tour as they're too sh*t scared to alter their profiles in light of being on the '50' suspicious riders list. Leiphemier arguably had a tougher campaign 1st half 09 and still performed well on the prologue. Menchov's form has been off the charts. Maybe he's riding under duress from the Vienna inquisition and he's mind's "not all there". Certainly a plausible explanation, all things considered.

I believe there's a thread in the clinic if you want a more thorough discussion.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
It takes a special rider to do the Giro-TdF double: Pantani, Roche, Merckx. I am not sure if Menchov has doped or not, but the Giro finished on 31st May and the TdF started 4th June. It's hard to recover sufficiently from a 3000+ km bike race to back up for another one in 5 weeks time. My hat is off to anyone seriously trying for the double.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
How about July 4? Winning Grand Tour races that close together -- or even riding them both -- would be pretty incredible.

Susan

Misprint - 4th July. Still my point stands. Do you want me to be this picky with CN articles?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Yeah menchov has been dissapointing.

I have to admit, I was one who said he would recover in time for the tour, but clearly his efforts in the Giro has taken its toll. still he wont be too disapointed with the season.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Yeah menchov has been dissapointing.

I have to admit, I was one who said he would recover in time for the tour, but clearly his efforts in the Giro has taken its toll. still he wont be too disapointed with the season.
I think it's fair to say most riders would be happy with one grand tour win a year.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Withe the current generation of riders I only think Contador is able to do a double. I don't see anyone as strong as he with the ability to do both. Menchov doesn't have the mindset or the strength to do both. Yes he won the Giro and the Vuelta, but he did not win the Giro with a sense of authority that Contador is doing so in the Tour. To win the double you have to have that ability.

TRENDING THREADS