• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Pretty disappointing today, losing more than 9 minutes on a mediocre Alpe d'Huez climb time. Let's hope he will be in form until July in order to contribute to loads of cycling fireworks on french roads...

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
In 2008, Sastre lost 6 minutes to Evans on the stage to La Toussuire, but he did quite well in july as I can recall. Menchov's performance here means absolutely nothing in my opinion.

I'm inclined to agree with kjetil. With his form being where it was two weeks ago in Belgium, i think it's perfectly well, and smart, that he doesn't go all out every single stage. He had a good TT and had a decent dig on stage 4. Now he's just focused on getting ready. When he loses 9 minutes its obvious that he let go, rather than a lack of ability.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I am also disappointed by Menchov's climb-like-a-turtle today, but disappointed only about this stage, i must say; like kjetilraknerud, i also think that this does not mean something regarding July...although, at a second look, my worries are that he will not reach his top form for Tour de France, if this training stages (cause that's what's suppose to be for him, right?) can't bring improvement to his current physical form, with the Tour so close, but let's hope i'm totally wrong.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
If he had lost 9 minutes by just riding at his rhythm that would be fine, but it looked like he tried to stay with the AC group and just couldn't. So I was a bit worried. But maybe I'm wrong, so I agree with you, maybe he does it right this time and prepares to just be in best form in July. Let's hope so!

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
la.margna said:
Pretty disappointing today, losing more than 9 minutes on a mediocre Alpe d'Huez climb time. Let's hope he will be in form until July in order to contribute to loads of cycling fireworks on french roads...

I really hope he does improve :) he's the only one with andy schleck that can really challenge him as he also has a good TT

la.margna said:
If he had lost 9 minutes by just riding at his rhythm that would be fine, but it looked like he tried to stay with the AC group and just couldn't. So I was a bit worried. But maybe I'm wrong, so I agree with you, maybe he does it right this time and prepares to just be in best form in July. Let's hope so!
According to the Rabobank DS, Menchov tried to stay with them, but at 10 k to go just decided to let go completely, rather than kill himself for a mediocre placing.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
rabosport quotes maassen that menchov simply did not have the legs on adh and indeed tried to ‘hook up’ with the leading group.

it is my opinion that he’s still dealing with some health issues or adjusting to a stepup in intensity after his bronchitis.

some time ago i read an interview menchov gave to a spanish site where he mentioned he was trying a new high altitude preparation regime this year. may be that's the affliction.

anyway, i find his uneven performance (in the same race !) a bit curious.

python said:
rabosport quotes maassen that menchov simply did not have the legs on adh and indeed tried to ‘hook up’ with the leading group.

it is my opinion that he’s still dealing with some health issues or adjusting to a stepup in intensity after his bronchitis.

some time ago i read an interview menchov gave to a spanish site where he mentioned he was trying a new high altitude preparation regime this year. may be that's the affliction.

anyway, i find his uneven performance (in the same race !) a bit curious.
He wouldn't have lost 9 minutes if if this were the Tour and he had the same kind of bad day. That is, if he still had a GC position to fight for. When Menchov lets go, he really doesn't bother anymore.

Kwibus said:
I'm not sure why, but I don't expect much from Menchov in the TdF. He never performed top in the Tour. I expect him dropping pretty fast on the first serious climb in the Tour.
I hope not, but mark my words :)
A 3d and a 5th place finish is not too bad, in my book.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
CN Forum logic. 3rd is not even close, 2nd is "Should of won it"

And they are all wheelsucking bums, except for the winner, who gets his very own thread in the clinic before he can kiss the podium girls.

la.margna said:

It seems that based on his TT performance he figured his form was coming back and in trying to stay with the AC group found that he was overly optimistic in that regards. He either blew up in the attempt or decided to coast in and save his energies for the final stage. As often mentioned, for the Tour gc contenders the Dauphine is a proving ground to test the progress of one's form. Menchov had to test where he stood in respect to everyone else to know where and how he needs to improve.

Riding the Dauphine over the Tour de Suisse is quite fortunate because it gives him the opportunity to see exactly how his form is and thus gives him an extra week to work on improving and arriving ready to compete at the Tour.

TRENDING THREADS