• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mental Doping

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
We talk nonstop about the chemical interventions that riders put themselves through to increase performance. What about breaking that mental block most don't know exists. While cyclists push themselves to limits most humans can't understand, what I'm talking about is the personal wall. I attended training that pushed me to understand that most of what holds people back is only themselves. What if anything is there out there that helps a cyclist do what they do day in and day out on the GT's?

Aug 5, 2009
Visit site
Years ago Frank Shorter and I went on a ride in Boulder. As many of you know Frank was a staunch anti-doping advocate; he was the first head of the US Anti-Doping Agency. Frank had some interesting comments about doping. He said that when you are competing you have to believe that everyone is clean.

According to Frank, if you compete and believe that your competition is dirty then they can defeat you on two fronts. First, they can beat you because they are dirty and have a physical advantage. Secondly, they can beat you mentally because you don't believe you can beat a dirty rider.

Frank pointed out that there wasn't much you could do about the physical aspect, but believing that everybody is clean could help with the mental aspect.

A

Anonymous

alpine_chav said:
Yes but what about religious doping? Those who have God on their side must surely have an unfair advantage!

And those wearing livestrong bands.

and no, thats not off topic, i have a fairly good idea where this thread is going.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
alpine_chav said:
Yes but what about religious doping? Those who have God on their side must surely have an unfair advantage!

I'm always curious that some 'winners' are so quick to thank god, and give him/her/it credit for the victory.

Where are the competitors blaming god? Just once I'd love to see someone say, "Yeah, things were going well for a while and then I just imploded. I guess Jesus hates me."

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
barn yard said:
do you mean 'mental training'?

Mental toughness, lazer-like focus, ability to block pain, ultra high pain threshold, yes some individuals have those abilities. That is not doping. Narcotics, strychinine, and amphetamines I would consider pain blockers. Maybe those are mental doping.
Lobotomy or alcohol use, definitely mental doping.
A strong belief that you are on a mission from God or a crusade for J.C., definitely mental doping, an unfair advantage, stacking the deck!

JMB wrote:

Where are the competitors blaming god? Just once I'd love to see someone say, "Yeah, things were going well for a while and then I just imploded. I guess Jesus hates me."
Today 06:44

NFL player blames god for dropped pass:

@StevieJohnson13

I PRAISE YOU 24/7!!!!!! AND THIS HOW YOU DO ME!!!!! YOU EXPECT ME TO LEARN FROM THIS??? HOW???!!! ILL NEVER FORGET THIS!! EVER!!! THX THO...

Just last week Johnson was fined $5,000 by the NFL by for wearing a t-shirt under his jersey that said, "Why so serious?" After scoring a touchdown, he lifted his shirt to reveal the Batman-inspired quote from the Joker.

Interestingly enough, he praised God for helping him make that catch.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
gobuck said:
JMB wrote:

Today 06:44

NFL player blames god for dropped pass:

@StevieJohnson13

I PRAISE YOU 24/7!!!!!! AND THIS HOW YOU DO ME!!!!! YOU EXPECT ME TO LEARN FROM THIS??? HOW???!!! ILL NEVER FORGET THIS!! EVER!!! THX THO...

Just last week Johnson was fined $5,000 by the NFL by for wearing a t-shirt under his jersey that said, "Why so serious?" After scoring a touchdown, he lifted his shirt to reveal the Batman-inspired quote from the Joker.

Interestingly enough, he praised God for helping him make that catch.

Maybe god's just fickle... I guess screaming at him on twitter gets his attention.

Forget praying, get a twitter account.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
Maybe god's just fickle... I guess screaming at him on twitter gets his attention.

Forget praying, get a twitter account.

Yeah, gods these days are attempting to modernize and use technology to communicate w/ the masses. They're attepting to make their religion more attractive to teenagers.:p

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I dont know of any anti depressants that will enhance the performance to any degree. But I do know if I over train I will have trouble sleeping. its a natural effect and a warning of burnout .

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
brianf7 said:
I dont know of any anti depressants that will enhance the performance to any degree. But I do know if I over train I will have trouble sleeping. its a natural effect and a warning of burnout .

Over-training sucks... try weed... you'll sleep like a baby and it's much better for you than big pharma alternatives

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
The Original poster is talking about the spiritual aspect of racing and training, being able to just go that little bit harder for a little bit longer.

Yes it exists. Most cant do a 2*20 min at 100-105% FTP until a month or two of learning to focus, and just gritting through it. Some good amateur racers never get there, and never find their true FTP either.

Learning to overcome the pain by yourself is one thing, but making it do something for you in big races is what all riders need to do in order to really feel their full potential.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
Just saw this. Spanish basketball team enters the intellectually impaired competition category at the 2000 Paralympics.

Except 10 out of 12 of the team's players are intellectually normal. ;)

Quite literally mental doping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMNBXU1rP9M

An event that was the inspiration for this rubbish film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267891/

I despair at Brian Cox, being in something like that. He was a better Hannibal Lecter than Hopkins. He must have a divorce or two to pay for.

On the psychology front though - I'd refer you to Steve Collins, an Irish boxer, in the 90s. He claimed (falsely) that he had been hypnotised to not feel pain in his fight against Chris Eubank. This got into Eubank's head and he complained a lot. Eventually Eubank lost. A classic psych out. It's all part of sport.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
An event that was the inspiration for this rubbish film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267891/

I despair at Brian Cox, being in something like that. He was a better Hannibal Lecter than Hopkins. He must have a divorce or two to pay for.

On the psychology front though - I'd refer you to Steve Collins, an Irish boxer, in the 90s. He claimed (falsely) that he had been hypnotised to not feel pain in his fight against Chris Eubank. This got into Eubank's head and he complained a lot. Eventually Eubank lost. A classic psych out. It's all part of sport.

I watched a bio on Tiger Woods recently. In it, it was suggested that his father (a former Green Beret) utilized his connections to have Tiger turned into some sort of Manchurian Candidate.

Similarly, I saw an episode of Jesse Ventura's "Conspiracy Theory" where he interviewed a "Super Soldier" who gave some details on how "super soldiers" were created. I think he said drugs were administered to prevent black-outs, and then an increasing amount of pain was induced to the point where each individual had only two options - die or psychologically fracture. I gather they then work on accessing that second self more readily.

I didn't see all of either the Woods bio, or the Super Soldier episode, but interesting. Not sure how accessible or desirable this or these would be... but seemingly, we've got guys willing to do what ever it takes.

TRENDING THREADS