• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Merckx on changes in doping

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Eddy's insight

Race Radio said:

This much is indisputable: If Ferrari agreed to work with you, and you could afford him-he typically charged between 10 and 20 percent of a rider's salary-it would make your career.

You can say someone's doping, he said, only if they test positive for something that's banned. "If it doesn't show up in the drug controls, then it's not doping," Ferrari was quoted as having said (a statement he has since characterized as a misquote), reportedly also adding that if he were a rider, he just might take whatever he could get away with.

http://www.2009tourdefrancenews.com/tourdefrance/article/0,6802,s-3-12-13773-1-P,00.html

In his era, Eddy would know the system.

Well I get the impression, that maybe, possibly this 'doctor' has earned more Euros than the Italian Tax department has on record. Doesnt he own a unit in Switzerland.

Dallas_ said:
This much is indisputable: If Ferrari agreed to work with you, and you could afford him-he typically charged between 10 and 20 percent of a rider's salary-it would make your career.

You can say someone's doping, he said, only if they test positive for something that's banned. "If it doesn't show up in the drug controls, then it's not doping," Ferrari was quoted as having said (a statement he has since characterized as a misquote), reportedly also adding that if he were a rider, he just might take whatever he could get away with.

Let's not forget, the organizers and federation might not be testing either.
-We know Zomnegan(sp) didn't test for a variation on EPO and thus was the Giro declared clean!
-We know riders aren't being tested in 2011. (Thanks Gerard!)
-The suspicion index published this year seems to have only a vague relationship at best with riders who are actually tested.

-Don't get me started on test criteria.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Fast forward 30 odd years from now, when medical advancements and genetic engineering are incredible and still unimaginable.

A 66 year old Lance will truthfully say:

66yr old Lance said:
"In my day there were products that made you a little less tired. Nowadays there are products that make you better. I am disappointed."

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Polish said:
Fast forward 30 odd years from now, when medical advancements and genetic engineering are incredible and still unimaginable.

A 66 year old Lance will truthfully say:

.... disappointed that he wasn't born 30 years later?