• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Merckx tells it how it is

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lonman219 said:
If you wanna talk about who in the peloton is a pr**k, then look no further than AC himself. People complain about a team built around LA to where he is the only one with a chance to win on any race, but they have more racers who can win races on that team besides Lance. In comparison, AC would never let anyone on ASStana who could think about winning besides him. IMHO

What has he done to be considered a ***? Also, Radio Shack was created for the sole reason of helping LA win the Tour again. They would have a nine man squad if they could, the rest are there to make up the numbers. Also, I take it you didn't see Montepaschi Strade Bianchi the other week then?

Sorry everyone for rising to the bait.

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
What has he done to be considered a ***? Also, Radio Shack was created for the sole reason of helping LA win the Tour again. They would have a nine man squad if they could, the rest are there to make up the numbers. Also, I take it you didn't see Montepaschi Strade Bianchi the other week then?

Sorry everyone for rising to the bait.

oh hez a *** alright he beet Lance

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
No it's not. Because last year without his team giving him an armchair ride to the finish, he would not have cracked the top 10.

We will see this year when he is left exposed this year in the time trials and the high mountaintop finishes, of which luckily for him there are only three stages.

Ummm, I think most every team does their best to give their GC guy(s) an "armchair ride" until the critical times in the race. That's their job and one aspect of what makes it a team sport, is it not?

I'll stand by my statement, no I'll add to it. In my book, anybody who fights it out for a spot on the podium of the tour is pretty damn impressive.

I get that Berzin et al hates LA like they hate the devil himself, or their best friend they caught screwing their wife, but such hates seems to blind them to any sense of balance about the guy.

I'll agree though, that IMO LA certaily won't be able to hang with AC or AS. He might compete for the final podium spot, or he might not crack the top 10. Who knows? One things for sure, the guy knows what it takes, it's just a question is how much of that he still has. I personally wouldn't put big money on it one way or another.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
9000ft said:
Ummm, I think most every team does their best to give their GC guy(s) an "armchair ride" until the critical times in the race. That's their job and one aspect of what makes it a team sport, is it not?

I'll stand by my statement, no I'll add to it. In my book, anybody who fights it out for a spot on the podium of the tour is pretty damn impressive.

I get that Berzin et al hates LA like they hate the devil himself, or their best friend they caught screwing their wife, but such hates seems to blind them to any sense of balance about the guy.

I'll agree though, that IMO LA certaily won't be able to hang with AC or AS. He might compete for the final podium spot, or he might not crack the top 10. Who knows? One things for sure, the guy knows what it takes, it's just a question is how much of that he still has. I personally wouldn't put big money on it one way or another.

I have no idea what Armstrong is about anymore. I used to say that top five would be possible, but now with the weight issue.... I don't know anymore.
Based on his strength during the tour last summer I still think top 5 is possible, but something tells me that he ain't putting down those much needed miles at the moment. too much travel if you ask me.
By the time ToC is over, we will know much more, but if he continues down this road, he wont even manage to finish within top 10.

There was a new topic called "Merckx is an idiot" but before i could reply, it had been deleted. Unfortunately. So this seemed like a good thread to add the following:

Merckx: “Gilbert must aim for the Tour”

Philippe Gilbert must focus on riding a good classification of the Tour de France. That's what Eddy Merckx told the Belgian newspaper l'Avenir. The five-time Tour winner thinks Gilbert can do better than his teammate Jurgen Van den Broeck, who finished fifth last Tour.

------

Eddy Merckx: “Mathieu van der Poel can even win the Tour de France”

Eddy Merckx sees a future Tour winner in Mathieu van der Poel. The 74-year-old former champion tells this in an interview with Het Nieuwsblad. “I think Van der Poel can win anything. Even the Tour de France," said Merckx

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
There was a new topic called "Merckx is an idiot" but before i could reply, it had been deleted. Unfortunately. So this seemed like a good thread to add the following:

Philippe Gilbert must focus on riding a good classification of the Tour de France. That's what Eddy Merckx told the Belgian newspaper l'Avenir. The five-time Tour winner thinks Gilbert can do better than his teammate Jurgen Van den Broeck, who finished fifth last Tour.

------

Eddy Merckx sees a future Tour winner in Mathieu van der Poel. The 74-year-old former champion tells this in an interview with Het Nieuwsblad. “I think Van der Poel can win anything. Even the Tour de France," said Merckx
LOL. So in conclusion, if the Belgium love their riders and want to win they shouldn't interview Eddy!!! :tearsofjoy:

LOL. So in conclusion, if the Belgium love their riders and want to win they shouldn't interview Eddy!!! :tearsofjoy:
The man has never been known for being tactically savvy, nor for being a teamplayer himself, nor for his insights. He's clueless on so many fronts. The only reason why people keep asking him for his opinion, is because he's a big name.

Yes, I thought it was amusing to hear The Cannibal scolding a rider for being selfish.

It's pretty unique for a group of influential people (ex riders, media & even some fans) in one country to waste so much energy acting angsty because they "feared" Remco Evenepoel might want to become world champion himself.

Ironically, he might have had a better chance than their "team leader" on the day considering the legs he showed. We'll never know.

------

It was "Eddy Merckx is a moron"...they didn't like my thread title, but I tip my hat to you for providing all the content the thread would have needed. Chapeau!

Reactions: Sandisfan
Merckx his three favorites for Lombardia:

Pogacar
Evenepoel

* drumroll *
Nibali!

Take it to the bank boys.
Screen_Shot_2018-03-30_at_11.34.27_AM.jpg

Merckx his three favorites for Lombardia:

Pogacar
Evenepoel

* drumroll *
Nibali!

Take it to the bank boys.

crap, looks like remco will likely DNF now...

other beauties by the blowhard:

"Lemond is the favorite of the 1992 TDF"

"Ala is the favorite of the 2021 Ronde"

It just goes on and on...

(besides, nibali won't win simply because he will solely be focused on making sure that remco loses)

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS