• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Merida bikes

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I got a Merida 904 with 105 (Tiagra chainset) last October and it rides really well. The rear hangar snapped, miles from anywhere, 2 weeks ago but this was due to debris getting blown into the rear mech while climbing - don't know if this is a sign of some weakness or not. It's light and responsive, or at least it is compared to my previous steed.
The Merida Road Race 903 with Tiagra throughout got a 9/10 review in Cycling Weekly back in 04/02/10 issue. Picking out a few quotes:- "Geometry is racing...head tube is shorter...it's also oval-profiled for extra stiffness...The frame's graphics are possibly a little unsubtle...feels lively, solid and steers well...It's one of the best, if not the best that we've ridden at this price point."
Hope some of this helps.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I had a Merida 909 Extreme
Not bad, got a bit loose around the front end in the end (talking years here), but at the time I was a 100+kg power rider
I think their factory is the Second biggest in the world and a lot of other high end bikes are made by them (different molds/propriety but I would expect the same workmanship)

Personally, I would rather go Euro, they ARE better long term (My Look is 3-4 years and feels like the day it was new), but I see no issues with a Merida against a Giant or an Avanti (for instance)

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a Merida 905 Road Lite with the old ultegra groupset. It is from 2008 and is my first proper racing bike.

I like it very much. Rides well, also when i drive more than 100 km. But I do that rarely.

The saddle was poor, so I have changed that along with some other parts. On my bike X-mission parts were used and some of them has been changed, when I have gotten better parts.

Besides that I am very happy with it. Got it as a bargain because the bicycle model was from 2008, but I bought it in 2009. It cost me approx 700 euro, but is normally priced around 1200 euro

May 6, 2009
Visit site
My problem is that I don't have a bike to ride at the moment, and I know the manager and the mechanic at a local bike store so they can give me a good deal, so I can have a new bike ASAP.