• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Michael Goolaerts R.I.P

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

SafeBet said:
From what I read he had a cardiac arrest which caused him to crash. Not sure if confirmed.

Tragic news. Rip Michael.

There is (or maybe it has been removed as I cant find it now) a short France 3 video on YouTube that shows a distant view (about 100m), one from behind, one from ahead, that shows the crash. Because of the distance, the quality was poor and it is not possible to determine if any other rider, moto, etc was involved. I suspect that other riders would have seen him leave the road and that investigators will seek their views in due course.

RIP Michael.

What a tragedy. I supposed he was ok once they reported he was in hospital.

23 years, just starting his life basically, and i assume in peak physical condition. Also looks like a really friendly guy from the photos.

I can't imagine what his family are feeling.

RIP.

Abosutely terrible, and, although I know it doesn't mean much, my thoughts are w his family, friends and teammates

From what I've understood, it was a cardiac arrest which caused him to crash - which means that unfortunately it's just incredibly bad luck that this problem came up only yesterday, and not during an examination or ECG. And it's happening more and more to top level athletes now: Astori passed away in his sleep a month or so ago, there was a young 18yo footballer who did likewise at Le Havre a couple of days ago and now this :(. As flo said, this could happen to anyone, even someone as young as fit as Goolaerts, which is just terrible.

TRENDING THREADS