Michael Matthews Appreciation Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

TMP402 said:
Not a bad trade for Sunweb: Matthews in for Degenkolb. Two stages and the green jersey (probably) whereas Degenkolb has only won a stage of the Dubai Tour this year.
I always thought that was an interesting swap - weren't they 1-2 in the junior worlds sometime back?

Since then Degenkolb has snagged two monuments and his palmares looked to be outshining Matthews by some measure.....but he hasn't done much since his accident, and I reckon I'd rather have Matthews on my roster; much more versatile.
 
Re: Re:

The Hegelian said:
TMP402 said:
Not a bad trade for Sunweb: Matthews in for Degenkolb. Two stages and the green jersey (probably) whereas Degenkolb has only won a stage of the Dubai Tour this year.
I always thought that was an interesting swap - weren't they 1-2 in the junior worlds sometime back?
U23 worlds in Geelong 2010:



Great race that was. Degenkolb was arguably the strongest rider, but his attacks on the climb didn't succeed. Matthews beats him then on the line, with Phinney and Boivin a tied third place.

Btw, in the current cq ranking Degenkolb is still ahead of Matthews. He has also won more GT stages (11) then Matthews (8) so far.

But kudos to Matthews, he rode a perfect Tour so far.
 
Yeah there was that Vuelta where he won like 7 or something ridiculous. Matthews stills needs to land that really big one day win - I'm sure it's just a matter of time, because he's been darn close a few times.
 
Would rather have Degenkolb's current palmares, but Matthews is closing in quick.

Saying Matthews is more versatile than Degenkolb is debatable to say the least. Matthews is a better climber but not good enough aerobically or anaerobically to compete in the likes of LBL or GdL. Degenkolb otoh is one of the best on the cobbles, along with his sprinting prowess
 
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Would rather have Degenkolb's current palmares, but Matthews is closing in quick.

Saying Matthews is more versatile than Degenkolb is debatable to say the least. Matthews is a better climber but not good enough aerobically or anaerobically to compete in the likes of LBL or GdL. Degenkolb otoh is one of the best on the cobbles, along with his sprinting prowess
Matthews wasn't far off at LBL this year.
 
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Would rather have Degenkolb's current palmares, but Matthews is closing in quick.

Saying Matthews is more versatile than Degenkolb is debatable to say the least. Matthews is a better climber but not good enough aerobically or anaerobically to compete in the likes of LBL or GdL. Degenkolb otoh is one of the best on the cobbles, along with his sprinting prowess
That's why it's kind of an interesting swap for Sunweb - Degenkolb has proven classics ability, Matthews merely (bloody good) potential. I remember thinking last year 'you'd rather Degenkolb for the big one day races wouldn't you?' But now it's more of an open question. I think Matthews is clearly more versatile, but that doesn't necessarily translate into a better rider. i.e. Matthews could end up in Bossan-Hagen territory.

I think Matthews showed he could maybe win a LBL - no one would have said that last year. Could also develop his ability on the cobbles.....looked alright in GW.
 
Re:

The Hegelian said:
Yeah there was that Vuelta where he won like 7 or something ridiculous. Matthews stills needs to land that really big one day win - I'm sure it's just a matter of time, because he's been darn close a few times.
Matthews been 4th in LBL this year. I can't see any of the sprinters do that except for maybe Sagan when he really trains for it.
 
The story on the front page about his TdF prep speaks a lot about how preparation and focus change "who" you are as a rider. Many of us fans assume that racers can just flip a switch: "he can just race for green now". That being said, maybe his climbing prep will help him grab a few points that he wouldn't have otherwise. The question though is, will he grab enough of those to make up for the (flat) ones he might miss.
 
Mar 26, 2017
369
4
2,285
Honestly i could care less. The guy always complains about something. His biggest challenge in the fight for green isn't his sprinting or climbing capability but his inability to position himself to consistently get good results in bunch sprints. This is an area where Sagan has a huge advantage on him.
 
Re:

jmdirt said:
The story on the front page about his TdF prep speaks a lot about how preparation and focus change "who" you are as a rider. Many of us fans assume that racers can just flip a switch: "he can just race for green now". That being said, maybe his climbing prep will help him grab a few points that he wouldn't have otherwise. The question though is, will he grab enough of those to make up for the (flat) ones he might miss.
I think that its an excuse or anger at the team. Dumoulin was not sure about GC almost a month to the TDF. Thats more than enough time to train for 10s of sprints considering this is a guy who won sprint stages after coming from injury. You don't stop something that's ur bread and butter just cause someone said so. Sagan didnot stop training for sprints just because he had to support Contador
 
Re: Re:

IndianCyclist said:
jmdirt said:
The story on the front page about his TdF prep speaks a lot about how preparation and focus change "who" you are as a rider. Many of us fans assume that racers can just flip a switch: "he can just race for green now". That being said, maybe his climbing prep will help him grab a few points that he wouldn't have otherwise. The question though is, will he grab enough of those to make up for the (flat) ones he might miss.
I think that its an excuse or anger at the team. Dumoulin was not sure about GC almost a month to the TDF. Thats more than enough time to train for 10s of sprints considering this is a guy who won sprint stages after coming from injury. You don't stop something that's ur bread and butter just cause someone said so. Sagan didnot stop training for sprints just because he had to support Contador
We don't know how rigid Sunweb expected Matthews to be with his training, because let's face it they aren't heavy on rouleurs to control the peloton if Dumoulin took yellow.

Still, if he wants another real shot at green now is the chance.
 
Re:

Leinster said:
They’re not heavy on rouleurs. They certainly never have climbers around him. What exactly are their domestiques supposed to do?
Kelderman and Oomen have climbed well in support of Dumoulin. They do, however lack classics style rouleurs as shown by the lack of support for Matthews in the classics, especially Flanders.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Robert5091 Professional road racing 76

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts