• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Michael Matthews Appreciation Thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Van Avermaet finally beating Sagan H2H to win his first Tour stage transformed his career into full potential. Different scenario, but I could see Matthews going through something similar after today - going for broke instead of riding defensively, then digging deeper than he ever has to claw back to Bettiol and overtake him just when all seemed lost.

And even if he doesn't, he will still have the best ride of his career to remember.

Matthews form in 2022 has been a bit better than in 2021, though contrary to the view of some he was nearly always making the final in 2021 but just missed that extra spark - Anyway they need to surround him for the World's in Wollongong in which he must be a chance - No 2021 when all his support riders were dropped with 60km's to go.

Van Avermaet finally beating Sagan H2H to win his first Tour stage transformed his career into full potential. Different scenario, but I could see Matthews going through something similar after today - going for broke instead of riding defensively, then digging deeper than he ever has to claw back to Bettiol and overtake him just when all seemed lost.

And even if he doesn't, he will still have the best ride of his career to remember.
We can only hope. This is a much more enjoyable rider to watch than the passive dude we got in the past.

First time in my life I was cheering for Matthews. What a ride by him and so different from the rider I didn’t appreciate in the years before.
Moving from Orica to Giant really helped Matthews, as he showed at the 2017 Tour. He was restricted by White's directing the first time at BEX because of the overlap with Gerrans meaning he wasn't utilised as well as he could have been a lot of the time.

Not to hijack this thread but I was just thinking Cavendish once again when Bling did this and when I watched Cav in nationals this year, and some other one day races in earlier years. He should do that style bit more for the final years of his career, because he can.
No. Matthews has always climbed well, but never used to risk attacking from farther out.