• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Michael Matthews Appreciation Thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I honestly feel sad for Matthews: he got his second podium in a monument this year, and during the race I was thinking loudly "Matthews still in the mix = a good chance for a podium". And then... the commissaires decided he went for a walk with his adversaries a bit too much... Imho, he first went to Bettiol / Teuns (nothing wrong with that), passed them on his right (nothing wrong) and kept going until he was almost at the barrier.
It all seems a bit too much, because Politt clearly wasn't coming over him.

I honestly feel sad for Matthews: he got his second podium in a monument this year, and during the race I was thinking loudly "Matthews still in the mix = a good chance for a podium". And then... the commissaires decided he went for a walk with his adversaries a bit too much... Imho, he first went to Bettiol / Teuns (nothing wrong with that), passed them on his right (nothing wrong) and kept going until he was almost at the barrier.
It all seems a bit too much, because Politt clearly wasn't coming over him.
Bling did well to make the final after missing nearly every split in the last 100kms. He also struggled in the lead up races and yet like MSR he got it right on the day. His major target is the Olympics. He should be supported by Groves and Plapp in this race. It's a matter of how he gets to the race.

Finally his relegation was a rubbish decision. Even more when Mezgec gets on twitter to criticise the decision.