• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Michele Scarponi RIP

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

jsem94 said:
Incredibly sad. A vehicle is a potentially lethal weapon and such complacency is far too common these days. Texting while driving, watching videos etc. Really terrible.

Car driving seems to be, how to get away with things while I am driving. As if car driving did not have enough distractions already. Innocent people suffer the consequences and you have to wonder when sentencing for such incidents will become tougher. It seems that if a bike rider is involved somehow the bike rider has contributed by just being on a bike and on the road. It's ridiculous.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
A tumor from depression?

58 year old is still a very young age to suddenly die in 2018.

My Italian is based almost entirely on cognates with Spanish, but I don't read it as suggesting that.

But depression would surely affect one's willingness to go through the very draining treatments that cancers require, and to the extent that resolve is considered a key to combating illness, it would undermine that.

All cloud, no silver lining.

Old man no one (here) has any relations to dies of cancer (shocker). Bad for him and those near him, but really, who cares? I'd be forever sad if I were to be affected by tragedies of that significance and that proximity to me. How many are killed or raped globally for every minute?

Re:

Netserk said:
Old man no one (here) has any relations to dies of cancer (shocker). Bad for him and those near him, but really, who cares? I'd be forever sad if I were to be affected by tragedies of that significance and that proximity to me. How many are killed or raped globally for every minute?
In the newspaper it says after the incident he had no power to fight the illness anymore. As we're all familiar with the tragic situation (this man was a friend of the Scarponi family) of course it's normal to feel a little sad when reading this.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Netserk said:
In the newspaper it says after the incident he had no power to fight the illness anymore. As we're all familiar with the tragic situation (this man was a friend of the Scarponi family) of course it's normal to feel a little sad when reading this.

the shortened version on the GAzzetta site says that the disease (probably cancer) was not responsive to therapy.He discovered the disease few months ago (discovered too late I assume)
It's completely unrelated to Scarponi

It's only an additional sad story piling up on the scarponi's story :(

Re:

Netserk said:

What a tactless useless comment.
As you don't care, than nobody here has to care... very strong logic.

Sometimes people don't know when to keep their mouth shut.

Reactions: tobydawq

huge said:
Netserk said:

Well said
"Old man" - same age as my father and I would not consider him an old man

huge said:
Netserk said:

How to Disagree

5 years without Michele Scarponi.
Still crying when reading through this thread.

We miss you, champion.

I still remember the day it happened. I was watching the Tour of Croatia at the time. And at the next stage after the news broke out it was a very somber mood in the peloton.
Carlton Kirby was commentating that race and he remembered Michele, the Astana team was mourning and so was Nibali, his old teammate of course.

We all miss Michele.

View: https://youtu.be/50lLgtjjF0w

I still remember the day it happened. I was watching the Tour of Croatia at the time. And at the next stage after the news broke out it was a very somber mood in the peloton.
Carlton Kirby was commentating that race and he remembered Michele, the Astana team was mourning and so was Nibali, his old teammate of course.

We all miss Michele.

View: https://youtu.be/50lLgtjjF0w

I missed out on the immediate news and also on the Tour of Croatia coverage, so I only found out when watching LBL. Such a heartbreak, such a lovable guy, good man Michele.

TRENDING THREADS