• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Microsoft's Incompetence Finally Pays Off

I am laughing my a$$ off at this. I absolutely detest Microsoft and everything it stands for. Their incompetence has cost humanity untold millions of man hours of wasted time because people are forced to deal with their poor engineering and design. It does have an upside, though. Their foray into the search engine market has been so futile that they have had to resort to paying people to use their search engines.

Their cashback program is freaking brilliant. Find a good deal on the web with no taxes and no shipping cost from a participant in MSFT's CashBack program then let Microsoft pay you (in some cases) 8 - 10% of the cost for finding the deal through Bing. The Evil Empire just paid me ~50$ for a new TV/monitor.

I wonder if there are any bike component sellers that participate... I would not mind a new Super Record gruppo subsidized by Microsoft.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I am laughing my a$$ off at this. I absolutely detest Microsoft and everything it stands for. Their incompetence has cost humanity untold millions of man hours of wasted time because people are forced to deal with their poor engineering and design. It does have an upside, though. Their foray into the search engine market has been so futile that they have had to resort to paying people to use their search engines.

Their cashback program is freaking brilliant. Find a good deal on the web with no taxes and no shipping cost from a participant in MSFT's CashBack program then let Microsoft pay you (in some cases) 8 - 10% of the cost for finding the deal through Bing. The Evil Empire just paid me ~50$ for a new TV/monitor.

I wonder if there are any bike component sellers that participate... I would not mind a new Super Record gruppo subsidized by Microsoft.

While MS has produced many crappy products Bing is not one of them. It works great, has an excellent user interface and by most measurements is a big success. They have rapidly gained market share and I expect further rapid growth from this year.

Race Radio said:
While MS has produced many crappy products Bing is not one of them. It works great, has an excellent user interface and by most measurements is a big success. They have rapidly gained market share and I expect further rapid growth from this year.

I don't know, dude. The stats I have access to show a very small percentage of hits coming from Bing, way way below Bing's supposed marketshare. What is more, Googlebot pulls a little information almost every day from the sites I look at. Bing's bots are nowhere.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I don't know, dude. The stats I have access to show a very small percentage of hits coming from Bing, way way below Bing's supposed marketshare. What is more, Googlebot pulls a little information almost every day from the sites I look at. Bing's bots are nowhere.

Bing has been around 6 months and they already have over 10% market share. Yahoo also outsourced search and advertising to Bing about 4 months ago so their market share is close to 30%. I would expect their combined market share to be over 40% in 2011.

If Bing were so good then MSFT would not have to pay people to use it.

It may be different at large websites, but the small side projects I run for fun (and sometimes a few bucks) do not show anywhere near Bing and Yahoo's supposed marketshare. Often 90+% of traffic comes from Google.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
If Bing were so good then MSFT would not have to pay people to use it.

It may be different at large websites, but the small side projects I run for fun (and sometimes a few bucks) do not show anywhere near Bing and Yahoo's supposed marketshare. Often 90+% of traffic comes from Google.

There are many ways to build market share and no way MS is footing the entire bill for the promotion. Google had very similar promotions when they launched Google Checkout. It is nothing new.

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
stalking horse

Race Radio said:

Thanks Bill. Good to hear from you. Keep up the crappy work.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
boomslang said:
Thanks Bill. Good to hear from you. Keep up the crappy work.

:p

No, I am not Bill. My tepid support of Bing should not be construed as an endorsement. Bing does not suck, even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
All search engines look the same to me. I use Bing cos it's on my homepage when I open up the Internet. It doesn't seem to give any better or worse results than Google. It's a search engine. You type in words and it finds them. Neither are the cause of hunger in the third world.

Nice tip on the cashback, but I've been using another CB site already. It is great to think you're getting 10% off everywhere, especially if they also have a sale on.

A

Anonymous

ike2112 said:
All search engines look the same to me. I use Bing cos it's on my homepage when I open up the Internet. It doesn't seem to give any better or worse results than Google. It's a search engine. You type in words and it finds them. Neither are the cause of hunger in the third world.

googles better, for instance when you google exeter weather, it brings up the weather, etc etc, and it includes twitter feeds, youtube videos etc.
Bing is just a search engine

Oncearunner8

BANNED
Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Radio that is pure bull ****! Bing is good for nothing in my opinion. You can keep using it but I will use it about as much as I used compuserve. ;)

Oncearunner8

BANNED
Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
:p

No, I am not Bill. My tepid support of Bing should not be construed as an endorsement. Bing does not suck, even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally.

JUST like Lycos go get it?????? LMAO how many times you use that one .....HEHE

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Google just suits me better. In the end, I think it all comes down to preference and what appeals to the eye. I have better results, I believe from Google. Magically one morning I awoke and found a Bing app on my crackberry. I took it off without even giving it a shot. Jeez, I have an open mind, huh?

A

Anonymous

Bings pants..
Type uk population into google, a population graph comes up
type "areA" weather into google, weather comes up
type someones name and you get the main homepage, along with recent news, pictures and video all on one page..

I really cant see what bing does that no other search engine doesnt..

Actually Bing isn't gaining much market share, Radio.

Picture-1.png

http://searchengineland.com/google-passes-72-us-market-share-33545

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Bing isn't so great, except for the exceptional "bird's eye" photos with their maps. I find this way more useful than Google's "street views".

As a pure search engine, Google comes up with links I need 90% of the time in my usage.

As far as MS software .... I just say no to their OS. I switched to PCLinuxOS a few years ago and never looked back.

Race Radio said:
Bing was launched 6 months ago and they already have 10%, mostly at the expense of Yahoo who was around 18% when Bing launched.

Bing didn't just suddenly appear. It is the reincarnation of LiveSearch. It's not as though it went from 0 to about 9% just at the expense of Yahoo.

Bing is taking some market share from Yahoo, but the entire idea was to create a product capable of competing with Google. There are tremendous network effects in search and without significantly more searches on Bing, the gap between Google and MSFT will get larger as Google mines their data to deliver more and more targeted results.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but so far, Bing hasn't exactly been an overwhelming product, though it is a major improvement over LiveSearch.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
tomato, to-mah-to.

when i am feeling lazy, I just type my search in the address bar and let bing handle it. bing is an incremental improvement over live search.

when I really need better info, i use google.

live's aerial and birds eye maps are usually a little better, but street view can sometimes be better than birds eye

neither of them are even close to being perfect and remains to be seen if they ever can be.

I do feel a bit of a bond towards google, they give away cr@p that ms used to try to charge for. gmail redefined email for me with meaningful spam filtration. google is what ms was 15 years ago, ms is what ibm was 20-25 years ago: lacking the innovation that made them the big kid on the block. Next it will be google's turn to face that walk down the plank. something else will replace it, such is the nature of free markets, endless death and rebirth as innovation pushes forward.

----------------------------

TRENDING THREADS