• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 135 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's happening!!
I want that Landa went back to ineos, now that they sell all their other good riders, and get that TGH/gerant Thomas Giro super peak next year.

A nice Giro route with no time trials and stages with mortirolo, fauniera and zoncolan. Ineos famous Giro super peak with castrovejo playing the Ritchie porte role. Mikel on the drops attacking almida into Aprica and win the giro

Let's hope he had a change of heart recently, because Landa never seemed like domestique material. It's not that easy to switch off the GC mentality.
He looked like the best mountain domestique in the world in the 2017 Tour. I didn't hear Froome complaining except for asking him to slow down maybe..............Richie Porte was another good one but didn't want to hang around as a domestique for a few more years after getting his Tour podium. Like Landa he had his share of missed opportunities after he left Sky..

He looked like the best mountain domestique in the world in the 2017 Tour. I didn't hear Froome complaining except for asking him to slow down maybe....
the doubt lingers because Landa could ride hard and still stay in the gc that year. He didn’t absolutely empty his tank for Froome on certain days and go slow to the finish.

Maybe that was him not giving his everything, maybe that was part of the deal to bring him to SKY, maybe they didn’t want to make the race too hard for Froome as he was also doing vuelta. We don’t know these things.

And the Netflix Movistar thing paints Landa as not the biggest team player. Obviously they need some drama.

We’ll see how it goes, a lot of water has gone under the bridge and Landa has to know what he is getting into.
There is also a lot of man management to this.

Landa joining Remco is confirmed.
It only makes sense. Unfortunately Landa does not seem to have the same peaks as he used to. Even when he got third in the Giro last year he was always always a little underhwelming. Going back to his life as a domestique is the logical conclusion. Landa will once again have to be freed.

I am interested to see how Landa does at SQS. I reckon it can be quite a good move for him, he can probably have a free role in some WT stage races where Remco doesn' feature and I reckon he mightbe allowed to stage hunt during the Tour once Jumbo takes absolute control of the race and there is no reason for SQS to keep all their guys with Remco.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Mikel will be alright. He might look too sentimental to be a good team player, but come on he did it anyway even without saying he liked Aru or Froome, and that was when he knew he could do thing for himself. Sometimes we act like every rider doesn't know their place and their limit, I know some really don't, but this time it's not Landa, he'll be alright.
I am strangely excited about the prospect of seeing my guy working for someone I've never cheered for😁 Maybe I just want him to be useful again🤣

Sickness and crash before the Tour prep or something? Basically he wasnt completely ready for the Tour.

Still shepherded his team to 3 stage wins
Basically this. He got sick in Liege, had to be off the bike longer than ideal and rushed to recover fitness.

Bahrain wants him to try to go for GC at the Vuelta but he does not feel sure. Landistas should start their 3-week treatment of pills for disappointment.

Basically this. He got sick in Liege, had to be off the bike longer than ideal and rushed to recover fitness.

Bahrain wants him to try to go for GC at the Vuelta but he does not feel sure. Landistas should start their 3-week treatment of pills for disappointment.
Either this or his new contract gives him peace and sets his mind free. Who knows? Nobody knows, neither Landa.