• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

lenric said:
What has Poels done to deserve co-leadership? I really don't know what he has achieved that may suggest he can perform better than Landa GT-wise.

When Landa is healthy and shape ok, not esay, he is so strong in the mountains and no so week in the ITT that he is one of the better riders of the world.. but Poels was stronger than him in this Tour ad he showed a more reliable rider.. anyway, not super reliable. I prefer Landa ayway,, I hope to see him winig Lombardia this year.

Poels shouldn't able to ride a better Giro than Landa. Poels is in another league than Porte when it comes to off-days, he can't even ride a week consistently. Big one day races? Hit and miss. Nobody knows what to expect. But a couple of the Sky superdoms at the Giro could make for some decent racing I guess.

Has he got his health right tho? A year of disappointments for him and his fans this year with a few bright spots. RCS have really tried to safe Aru's season, just like Lombardia did last year to Nibali, but if Landa is fit, he can win this as well.

Re: Re:

pink_jersey said:
dastott said:
Sounds like a good team for the Giro. Who would be the plan B in case Landa gets sick or injured? Nieve? Might be worth taking Poels or Sergio Henao instead of Boswell.

Really hope Landa can bounce back. Is a joy to watch when on song.

No. TdF is way more important for them. If Landa fails, than Nieve is a safe bet for KoM and stages, and Inxtausti can top 10.

Nieve should do the Tour and Vuelta with Froome. He's the most reliable of all Sky's domestiques and has a history of doing back to back grand tours very well. Poels, Sergio Henao and Thomas should also all be saved for the Tour. They are needed against Movistar and Quintana especially if ASO decide on a ridiculously small amount of flat TT'ing which I have a bad feeling they will.

Landa hasn't shown enough this year to deserve a really strong team. He can have Intxausti, Lopez, Seb Henao, Deignan, Boswell etc and then he goes to the Vuelta to help Froome do the double.

JRanton said:
pink_jersey said:
dastott said:
Sounds like a good team for the Giro. Who would be the plan B in case Landa gets sick or injured? Nieve? Might be worth taking Poels or Sergio Henao instead of Boswell.

Really hope Landa can bounce back. Is a joy to watch when on song.

No. TdF is way more important for them. If Landa fails, than Nieve is a safe bet for KoM and stages, and Inxtausti can top 10.

Landa hasn't shown enough this year to deserve a really strong team. He can have Intxausti, Lopez, Seb Henao, Deignan, Boswell etc and then he goes to the Vuelta to help Froome do the double.

Landa is not a rider to risk a lot, but this year the oly time he could show his potetial he wo, without team

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=29525

But that is not a bad team anyway...the problem with him is always his heatlh, the rest is secundary.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Landa should clearly be the leader at the Giro. 2015 he came 3rd and then won the queen stage of the Vuelta. Poels can ride the ardennes, ride for Froome in the tour. It's a bit of a shame he's on sky tbh, he could go stage hunting at the vuelta, the punchy climbs are great for him.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
Durden93 said:
Landa should clearly be the leader at the Giro. 2015 he came 3rd and then won the queen stage of the Vuelta. Poels can ride the ardennes, ride for Froome in the tour. It's a bit of a shame he's on sky tbh, he could go stage hunting at the vuelta, the punchy climbs are great for him.

Better both of them in the Giro, this year SKY finished without a leader...

Fair enough. It didn't work, but I liked the Astana strategy of Aru+Landa.

Durden93 said:
Taxus4a said:
Durden93 said:

Better both of them in the Giro, this year SKY finished without a leader...

Fair enough. It didn't work, but I liked the Astana strategy of Aru+Landa.

It didn't work because the only strategy was to put Aru second. By attacking Aru and Landa following Contador, they would have won the race, or just with Lada free form the middle of the Giro...but Aru was his rider and Landa no, and Contador is friend, and good for the race if Contador win... so.

That a third category rider for GT as Aru was second on the Giro and won the Vuelta was for the help of Landa.

for now, he is on the line-up for Milano-Torino on Procyclingsats. Aupa Mikel Landa.

141 BOSWELL, Ian
142 KENNAUGH, Peter
143 KÖNIG, Leopold
144 LANDA, Mikel
145 MOSCON, Gianni
146 NIEVE, Mikel
147 POELS, Wout
148 SWIFT, Ben

Re:

Oliver said:
http://www.ciclo21.com/bahrain-sondea-su-futuro-con-mikel-landa/

Bahrain wants Mikel Landa. Would be great!

Why would it be great tho? Nibali will almost certainly ride the Giro. Sure, Bahrain has much fewer leaders than Sky, but the Giro should still be Landa's main goal and he will at least be co-captain at Sky.

Edit: The article mentions they want Landa to lead the Tour. Not sure how great of an idea that will be, but interesting nevertheless.

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Oliver said:

Why would it be great tho? Nibali will almost certainly ride the Giro. Sure, Bahrain has much fewer leaders than Sky, but the Giro should still be Landa's main goal and he will at least be co-captain at Sky.

Edit: The article mentions they want Landa to lead the Tour. Not sure how great of an idea that will be, but interesting nevertheless.

Plus he would be back again with the clowns that told him to lose the Giro...not buying this. Isn't his agent the same as Ion's? And isn't Ion under the same rumour? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just game playing by the agent to get leadership in the Giro for Landa, plus a bigger salary, as I've heard he's going to take a big hit there.

Jolene said:
Valv.Piti said:
Oliver said:

Plus he would be back again with the clowns that told him to lose the Giro...not buying this. Isn't his agent the same as Ion's? And isn't Ion under the same rumour? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just game playing by the agent to get leadership in the Giro for Landa, plus a bigger salary, as I've heard he's going to take a big hit there.
Shefer and Martinelli gonna stay with Astana. I agree though that leading Bahrain at the Tour makes not much sense for a pure climber like Landa. If he wants to win the Giro TJ Sports would be a more naturally move if he intends to leave Sky. They could easily match up with the offered paycheck by Bahrain and they ain't got no gc leader for the Giro at the moment. Apart from Atapuma who might target the blue jersey and stage wins.

Taxus4a said:
HelloDolly said:
Landa wining Lombardia ?? For real people ?

Poels is leader at Lombardia for SKY ....

He has his chances, and he has more experience in that race than Poels. The road will talk,of course is better to play 2 options or more, but nibali, purito, Valverde if he rides, or another riders are the favourites, none in SKY.

Well he is not on the SKY list to ride Lombardia or not listed on Procyclingstats

http://www.marca.com/ciclismo/2016/09/25/57e8012e268e3e28318b4587.html

Landa: "Seguiré en el Sky" he seems to say that he will stay with Team Sky next year.

google-translation : Mikel Landa will not move from site . At least that's what the cyclist himself said when asked by MARK to the increasingly widespread rumors of a possible departure to Bahrain-Merida team. The Basque was blunt: "I will continue in the Sky, 100 100 insurance".

Lots of rumours that he wants to leave but will seemingly have to honour his contract with Sky for 2017.

Maybe he hasn't been given outright Giro leadership by Sky for next year. Despite his troubles this year he's still Sky's second most likely rider to win a grand tour. If Poels rides the Giro then he deserves a protected role but no more than that.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
JRanton said:
Lots of rumours that he wants to leave but will seemingly have to honour his contract with Sky for 2017.

Maybe he hasn't been given outright Giro leadership by Sky for next year. Despite his troubles this year he's still Sky's second most likely rider to win a grand tour. If Poels rides the Giro then he deserves a protected role but no more than that.

I believe, he has pretty good chance to perform much better during next year. Many of riders experienced problems during first year with Sky, but improved during the following years... .

TRENDING THREADS