• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 91 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

franic said:
Blanco said:
franic said:
Durden93 said:
Landa always seems to get a free pass. Complained at Astana. Complained at Sky. Nothing satisfies this guy. You would guess from his demands that his palmares include multiple GT wins. I know it may sound like I hate Landa, but that's not true. He's a delight to watch. I just wish i didn't have to hear him (and his fans) grovel so much.
He's been very unlucky too. He could have easily won the Giro at Astana if he did not have Aru and he could have easily won the Giro this year if he did not fall.

You have to think carefully before you use term "easily won" in this case, because nothing suggest that would be the outcome!
It sounds differently in english than in my mother tongue. I wanted to say that, absent the fall, he could have easily been one of the contenders of the Giro.

That sounds much better ;)

Red Rick said:
staubsauger said:
glassmoon said:
I actually think that he will be Movi's leader for TdF next year...
Hopefully not. That would be an unwise decision IMHO. With Dumoulin & Nibali not riding he's the hot favorite to win the pink jersey with his climbing skills and his new found TT abilities. In fact it's Lana's race to loose, since there ain't no equal challengers to him on paper!
Giro field could be seemingly lacklustre.

Landa
Zakarin
Aru?
Thomas?
Bernal?
Pozzovivo?
One of Orica
Kruijswijk?

Don't think Sky will send both G and Bernal to Italy.

MatParker117 said:
Red Rick said:
staubsauger said:
glassmoon said:
Hopefully not. That would be an unwise decision IMHO. With Dumoulin & Nibali not riding he's the hot favorite to win the pink jersey with his climbing skills and his new found TT abilities. In fact it's Lana's race to loose, since there ain't no equal challengers to him on paper!

Landa
Zakarin
Aru?
Thomas?
Bernal?
Pozzovivo?
One of Orica
Kruijswijk?

Why not? Bernal could be a good domestique for Thomas.

Hugo Koblet said:
MatParker117 said:
Red Rick said:
staubsauger said:
glassmoon said:

Landa
Zakarin
Aru?
Thomas?
Bernal?
Pozzovivo?
One of Orica
Kruijswijk?

Bernal would probably be more than good enough for his first GT already, though I'm not sure if it's right for his development.

In any case I would not just put him in a Thomas train. I'd give him a very free role, have him lose time early on, and do breakaways and only have him help a leader if absolutely necessary.

But then I'm not a Sky DS. Bernal riding his first GT in 2019 would be no disaster either.

quote="Red Rick"]
Hugo Koblet said:
MatParker117 said:
Red Rick said:
staubsauger said:
glassmoon said:

Landa
Zakarin
Aru?
Thomas?
Bernal?
Pozzovivo?
One of Orica
Kruijswijk?

Bernal would probably be more than good enough for his first GT already, though I'm not sure if it's right for his development.

In any case I would not just put him in a Thomas train. I'd give him a very free role, have him lose time early on, and do breakaways and only have him help a leader if absolutely necessary.

But then I'm not a Sky DS. Bernal riding his first GT in 2019 would be no disaster either.[/quote]

Think he'll go to Spain, don't think Froome will return to defend his title. This would allow them to say to him "Go to the Vuelta and see what you can do, if you grab a stage great."

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

staubsauger said:
glassmoon said:

At this point Zakarin has better chances in the Giro than Landa. Better TT, better or equal climbing, proven track record.

Not sure where this "Landa best climber" myth comes from, because he looks so relaxed? Looks relaxed all the way to being dropped, with the few proper climbs this Tour even had he still managed to lose an impressive amount of time :eek:

By stage 11 he had already lost more time than top 5 combined. Totally overrated,

hazaran said:
staubsauger said:
glassmoon said:

At this point Zakarin has better chances in the Giro than Landa. Better TT, better or equal climbing, proven track record.

Not sure where this "Landa best climber" myth comes from, because he looks so relaxed? Looks relaxed all the way to being dropped, with the few proper climbs this Tour even had he still managed to lose an impressive amount of time :eek:

By stage 11 he had already lost more time than top 5 combined. Totally overrated,
By what exact measure does Zakarin have the proven track record that Landa hasn't?

Zakarin has

Gotten a podium in a GT [x]
Gotten a top 5 finish in another GT [x]
Won a stage when given the chance to stagehunt [x]
Ruined a GC by a huge crash [x]

Landa has
Gotten a podium in a GT [x]
Gotten a top 5 finish in another GT [x]
Won a stage when given a chance to stage hunt [x]
Ruined a GT by a huge crash [x]

Any other decent measures where Zakarin is totally a proven contender and where Landa is just an overhyped phoney?

hazaran said:
staubsauger said:
glassmoon said:

Nope.

Landa is a far better climber than Zakarin. Additionally Landa seems to be a decent TT guy nowadays, while Zakarin goes from good to atrocious on either a technical course or in the rain.

Edith adds that Landa also has won 2 stages as a gc contender and would've won a third one additionally to the 2 stages he won as a stage hunter at the 2015 Vuelta & 2017 Giro!

Red Rick said:
staubsauger said:
glassmoon said:

Landa
Zakarin
Aru?
Thomas?
Bernal?
Pozzovivo?
One of Orica
Kruijswijk?

Hopefully Contador reads this at a weak moment :D

Disappointing if Zakharin missed the TDF as he ready for the race - I'd be happier if Bernal does no GT in 2019, but if so, the Vuelta is the best option - Fairly certain Chaves will ride the Giro - It's 99% certain that Dumoulin will do the TDF.

creo correremos en igualdad de condiciones. No tengo ninguna duda en ese aspecto. El equipo nos pondría en el mismo nivel.
My spanish isn't perfect but to me this doesn't sound like an aggressive "the team better treats me like their leader" it sounds more like "I think the team puts us on the same level. Nothing wrong about that.

Gigs_98 said:
creo correremos en igualdad de condiciones. No tengo ninguna duda en ese aspecto. El equipo nos pondría en el mismo nivel.
My spanish isn't perfect but to me this doesn't sound like an aggressive "the team better treats me like their leader" it sounds more like "I think the team puts us on the same level. Nothing wrong about that.

If he's referring to Quintana he really doesn't have any reason to think that he is on the same level. He's never won a grand tour and never won a pro tour stage race. Unless that is what was agreed upon in his contract negotiations with Movistar, he should really be more intent on earning the status that Quintana has by way of winning a Giro or Vuelta first.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
Without Froome, Chaves and perhaps Lopéz are the only serious competitors in the Giro. Podium should be "easy".

He shouldn't gamble with a potential Grand Tour win for a small chance (how is he going to deal with the cobbles?) of podium in the Tour.

This actually goes back to what Landa was saying about Movistar and their three GC riders leaning towards Valverde going to the Giro before the Froome announcement. If Valverde would have done that he wasn't going to go to the Tour. I think Landa said something about figuring they could send Valverde to the Giro with a group of kids and figure he could easily get a podium. Then he (Landa) and Quintana would go to the Tour, then all 3 would go to the Vuelta.

In the interview after the team presentation showed last week at Radiocorsa Valverde said that he likes very much the Giro route and in the one showed on Movistar+ that was his plan to ride Giro and Vuelta but after the Tour presentation the team decided to send all three to the Tour.

Anyway Landa seems to have gotten a fixation with the Tour, in the interview for Radiocorsa the journalist asked to him about the Giro and he said that he won't return because his aim is to win the Tour.

Probably the Giro team will be lead by Amador even if in an interview for Marca published on monday he said that he'll go to Italy to help one of the three leaders.

Re:

Nirvana said:
In the interview after the team presentation showed last week at Radiocorsa Valverde said that he likes very much the Giro route and in the one showed on Movistar+ that was his plan to ride Giro and Vuelta but after the Tour presentation the team decided to send all three to the Tour.

Anyway Landa seems to have gotten a fixation with the Tour, in the interview for Radiocorsa the journalist asked to him about the Giro and he said that he won't return because his aim is to win the Tour.

Probably the Giro team will be lead by Amador even if in an interview for Marca published on monday he said that he'll go to Italy to help one of the three leaders.
Why don't they at least send valverde to the Giro? He has shown so often that he can ride well in two consecutive gt's. Also Landa should really shut his mouth. The team decides which races they want their riders to participate in and movistar has every right to say landa should try the giro before the tour. He knew he joined a team with quintana so he really shouldn't expect the team to completely focus around him.

Gigs_98 said:
[quote="Nirvana":1osej1l9]In the interview after the team presentation showed last week at Radiocorsa Valverde said that he likes very much the Giro route and in the one showed on Movistar+ that was his plan to ride Giro and Vuelta but after the Tour presentation the team decided to send all three to the Tour.

Why don't they at least send valverde to the Giro? He has shown so often that he can ride well in two consecutive gt's. Also Landa should really shut his mouth. The team decides which races they want their riders to participate in and movistar has every right to say landa should try the giro before the tour. He knew he joined a team with quintana so he really shouldn't expect the team to completely focus around him.[/quote]
If Valverde will ride the Giro won't ride the Tour because he'll focus the second half of the season around the Vuelta and WC so he can't ride three GT. I think he sees Insbruck as a last chance for the gold, in the Movistar+ interview talking about the WC he said that before the presentation of the Insbruck route he tought that was over for him to win the raimbow.

Anyway if Valverde say "i want to go to the Giro" i think they let him do what he want but probably we'll have to wait, in the interview for Radiocorsa he said that he know for sure only that he'll ride the two hilly races in Mallorca and Vuelta Valenciana, the rest of his race schedule has still to be decided because first he has to verify if he's still the same Alejandro of before (referring to the crash).

TRENDING THREADS