• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 111 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Why can't people like Landa and Bardet get their TT's sorted so as not to lose so much time. Surely they must know that they don't have much of a chance to win unless their aim is a top ten or there is about 3 miles of TT'ing. All the effort put in in the mountains to gain time must feel like a complete waste of time if the other guys can gain it all plus more back in the TT.

Re:

wheresmybrakes said:
Why can't people like Landa and Bardet get their TT's sorted so as not to lose so much time. Surely they must know that they don't have much of a chance to win unless their aim is a top ten or there is about 3 miles of TT'ing. All the effort put in in the mountains to gain time must feel like a complete waste of time if the other guys can gain it all plus more back in the TT.
Landa’s time trialling was not bad when he was at Sky. In 2017, he was second at Spanish nationals and finished 15th in the final TT in the Tour, beating Bardet by well over a minute. I don’t know if it is the bike, the amount of focused TT training, or something else, but Landa has been poor at TTs both before and after riding for Sky.

Re: Re:

shalgo said:
wheresmybrakes said:
Landa’s time trialling was not bad when he was at Sky. In 2017, he was second at Spanish nationals and finished 15th in the final TT in the Tour, beating Bardet by well over a minute. I don’t know if it is the bike, the amount of focused TT training, or something else, but Landa has been poor at TTs both before and after riding for Sky.

Maybe it's because SKY (and other teams) realise you need to be good at other disciplines and not just be a mountain goat to win a GT.

Re:

Koronin said:
I noticed that as well. I really would not want to have to deal with those two together. That really can't be fun for the rest of the guys.

It wasn't really pointing the finger at Quintana though just an honest opinion that as climbers they aren't as good at TTs. Quintana said much the same thing.
As it seems that both will probably be leaving the team at the end of the year then I don't think that Movistar would have put them in the same team if they thought that they wouldn't be able to work together on the road. A certain amount of this is hype from the press trying to make divisions for a story.

mariposa said:
Koronin said:
I noticed that as well. I really would not want to have to deal with those two together. That really can't be fun for the rest of the guys.

It wasn't really pointing the finger at Quintana though just an honest opinion that as climbers they aren't as good at TTs. Quintana said much the same thing.
As it seems that both will probably be leaving the team at the end of the year then I don't think that Movistar would have put them in the same team if they thought that they wouldn't be able to work together on the road. A certain amount of this is hype from the press trying to make divisions for a story.

I agree that he wasn't pointing fingers, but it's well know Landa and Quintana don't get along. Heck before the Tour started Valverde was asked about them together and his comment was you'd hope they fine a way to co exist, but if not I'll step in and mediate. That doesn't sound like it's just hype.

Only me that noticed Landa was really far behind on Cote de Mutigny but then saw him rounding the peloton on the left side, getting further up. Then found himself in the group behind Ala.

He made a really strong climb there. Hope it could be a good omen for Thursday. Just stay on your bike until then Landa.

Koronin said:
mariposa said:
Koronin said:

I agree that he wasn't pointing fingers, but it's well know Landa and Quintana don't get along. Heck before the Tour started Valverde was asked about them together and his comment was you'd hope they fine a way to co exist, but if not I'll step in and mediate. That doesn't sound like it's just hype.

I said a certain amount is hype and in any case Alejandro was answering a direct question from a journalist as to whether he would mediate. He didn't volunteer it as something he was expecting to do. Alejandro then went on to say that he didn't think that there would be a problem.
Landa and Quintana are professionals they may not get on as individuals , although we don't really know that is the case or to what extent. The press have a reason to propagate a story of differences as it makes good headlines.

mariposa said:
Koronin said:
mariposa said:
Koronin said:

I said a certain amount is hype and in any case Alejandro was answering a direct question from a journalist as to whether he would mediate. He didn't volunteer it as something he was expecting to do. Alejandro then went on to say that he didn't think that there would be a problem.
Landa and Quintana are professionals they may not get on as individuals , although we don't really know that is the case or to what extent. The press have a reason to propagate a story of differences as it makes good headlines.

He was, but by saying what he did, it's likely he's had to mediate between them before and expects he may again.

After thinking about it, he may well have been the most impressive of all GC riders today. It was a pretty audacious attack (in the horns, of course) and he didn't even really concede time in the final as you would think of a rider who had distributed his energy less than optimally.

It sucks that his TT sucks as much as it does - otherwise I think he should have the level for a podium. Of course he is doing the double, but that has not really troubled him in the past.

Re:

Koronin said:
Agreed. Landa looked good and at least tried something even if it didn't work. Not the best of climbs for him. He should be better on the longer climbs as long as the Giro didn't take too much out of him.

So you criticise Movistar for wasting unnecessary energy in the Valverde thread, but yet Landa doesn't waste energy with a speculative attack - I am confused !

yaco said:
Koronin said:
Agreed. Landa looked good and at least tried something even if it didn't work. Not the best of climbs for him. He should be better on the longer climbs as long as the Giro didn't take too much out of him.

So you criticise Movistar for wasting unnecessary energy in the Valverde thread, but yet Landa doesn't waste energy with a speculative attack - I am confused !

At least tried something after his teammates put in so much work. The team got nothing at all for the work they put in. Landa at least tried to give his teammates something for the effort even though it didn't work. So yes the team wasted energy that could very easily bite them later in the race. In Landa's case I'm not sure this attack today will affect him any more than having already raced the Giro.

Koronin said:
yaco said:
Koronin said:

At least tried something after his teammates put in so much work. The team got nothing at all for the work they put in. Landa at least tried to give his teammates something for the effort even though it didn't work. So yes the team wasted energy that could very easily bite them later in the race. In Landa's case I'm not sure this attack today will affect him any more than having already raced the Giro.

But Valverde being on the front for ten minutes will definitely kill him even though he had just five race days the past two months... :confused:

He is so extremely unlucky its surreal. If its not crashing, its a teammate suddenly finding superlegs. He is always finding himself in an unfortunate situation in GT's, the guy can't catch a break. Not one time has he hit the mountains without having bled time, crashed or finding himself in a luxury domestique role.

Ffs. :( Along with Pinot, it was the guy who really could do something IMO.

TRENDING THREADS