• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 113 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Salvarani said:
Hope he will be strong in the third week. Could gain some more time back and who knows. A lot of climbing left.
I just hope that the time lost because of that crash won't haunt him in the end...

Yeah, I know. But on the other hand, if he wasnt that far back. Maybe the others wouldnt have let him go yesterday. You have to take that into account also.

What should Landa do now?

This guy is just about the most consistent climber in GT's. He just always finds a way to lose silly serious time somewhere. But this season he has placed fourth in the Giro, not far off the podium; and now sixth at the Tour, where without the time lost in the crash/crosswinds, he would be within a minute of the podium. Considering that nobody else who did the Giro did well in the Tour, could he have won the Tour if he didn't ride the Giro? If you take away stage 10, he wouldn't have had to have been all that much stronger to have taken yellow.

2015, strongest in the third week in the Giro, finishers third. Later that season he wasn't competitive in the GC in the Vuelta, but still won the Queen stage. In 2016 he was ill in the Tour from memory, and in the 2017 Giro he suffered more bad luck which took him out of GC calculations, yet he still continued on to win two stages in the mountains. And with that race in his legs, he places fourth in the Tour, one second off the podium.

It just seems like Landa should win a GT one day. From now on maybe he should just go Giro/Vuelta every season. Two chances a year; he probably has a few more years to contend. The odds are that at some stage the stars will align for him I think.

With Carapaz and Quintana gona, Landa is the best GC rider on Movistar next year.

I think he should continue his Giro-Tour approach which seems to be working fine. He is on a very high level in both races normally, same thing in 2017. Obviously needs to look at the routes first. Then have Mas as a backup in the Tour and have mas ride the Vuelta as well. Valverde as the joker.

He just needs a bit of luck. And even if he doesnt have that, he is a gift to the bike races. If not for the actual attacks, then for expectations and myths about ihm at least. :D

I would hope Landa goes Giro/Vuelta unless the routes indicate otherwise. He's done two very good Tours after having done the Giro, but I don't think the race suits him especially with his tendency to lose a truckload of time in early stages. And even if he was good this Tour, the freshness was kinda gone.

I'd really hope he stays at Movistar honestly

Re:

Red Rick said:
I would hope Landa goes Giro/Vuelta unless the routes indicate otherwise. He's done two very good Tours after having done the Giro, but I don't think the race suits him especially with his tendency to lose a truckload of time in early stages. And even if he was good this Tour, the freshness was kinda gone.

I'd really hope he stays at Movistar honestly
He hasn't done anyrhing GC wise in the Vuelta and showed already two times that he can be competitive at least for a podium in both Giro and Tour, why should he change his approach? The ones that needs to avoid the Tour are the riders that waste a season to focus on the Tour like Bardet and Pinot, not him.

Anyway he needs another leader to perform at his maximum, also this Tour after Quintana cracked on Prat d'Albis and he established himself as the team primary option he wasn't the same as before.

Can't he or Pinot just win the Tour to bring us some joy? He has one of the best domestiques of recent GT history in Wout Poels*.

The Dauphiné looks a bit like a training ride for Landa (as it should be). When he went under the red kite of one kilometre to go today, he was actually picking his nose xD

*Edit: I doubt Poels is in shape, though. In Poland he chased bonus seconds on the first flat stages, but ended 35th on GC. But well, he's called third-week Wout for a reason.

After Burgos and what we've seen in Dauphiné so far, he's clearly the best among his countrymates. Axing the roller has worked for him. Spain's lockdown only affects to Movistar riders.
Movistar riders are an old Valverde, a Mas that way overachieved in the Vuelta 2 years ago, and Soler... They will not feature in the Gt GC top ranks even if they are in their best form.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Movistar riders are an old Valverde, a Mas that way overachieved in the Vuelta 2 years ago, and Soler... They will not feature in the Gt GC top ranks even if they are in their best form.

True, but could one not expect Mas at least somewhere in the ranks of Barguil and Reichenbach? He's still a little behind.
And Soler. Really Soler. Even if he goes to the Giro - what is he doing in these races? Is he not supposed to be some kind of climber?
Regardless from the potential or non-potential of the riders I think Movistar got their training during the lockdown and after all wrong.

Reactions: ppanther92

TRENDING THREADS