• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 124 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I doubt that Bahrain Victorious will allow him to ride for GC - He's had too many chances !
What do you mean "too many chances"? He's had his chances and he's taken them. Yes he DNF'ed his two GT's this season, but he finished 4, 7, 4, 6, 4 in his previous five GT's. He's one of the most consistent GT riders of the last three years and he should of course be given a leader role.

Landismo is not about top favorite or second most top favourite, most consistent or forgettable things like this. It's about the way your soul dances as he dances away from the group of climbers, the heroic efforts in the drops, the puppy eyes, the butterflies as you don't know whether he will be the strongest, dissapointing, or crash. Its the relentless anticipation of a controversial rider who honors the sport finally achieving his potential after a decade of misfortune. Its about the memories, the inspiration, the assault on the sense and the beauty. Rebelling against the robots who spend months on volcanoes and have no personality. Landismo is alive #freelanda.

Its not about winning, it's about how you win.

Almeida for me looks way more like the winning type than Landa and MAL, so for now if it is purely for the win I would rate Almeida higher. I would also rate Simon Yates higher.

Landa and MAL will probably just be semi-favorites at the start with a bunch of other guys if they start such as Gaudu, Buchmann, Vlasov, Tao, Martinez, a Jumbo captain etc.

MAL is not a winner, neither is Landa, Carapaz is. No way he shouldn't be current favourite even accounting for fact he isn't confirmed.

Both of them has more wins than Carapaz, as of now.

But in terms of what they have won. Giro and an Olympic Gold of course tops anything the others have won.

Factually, you are wrong though on them not being "winners" compared to Carapaz.

Reactions: Sandisfan
To me Simon Yates is a Vuelta rider, those high mountain stages are probably still too hard for him.
I don't think he's that great on a multi-mountain stage and at altitude. Hindley has probably a better chance that him, if he finds his 2020 legs again.

Feel like he was in the form of his life 2018 when he won. That whole year.

Right now that season looking like an outlier though... if he does not find that form again.

I think he is more a one-week rider. He will have a hard time competing against Roglic, Pog and Bernal in the GTs.

But those can always crash out or just have a bad race. Then he and some others are right there to take advantage of the opportunity.

Reactions: Escarabajo

Right now that season looking like an outlier though... if he does not find that form again.

I think he is more a one-week rider. He will have a hard time competing against Roglic, Pog and Bernal in the GTs.

But those can always crash out or just have a bad race. Then he and some others are right there to take advantage of the opportunity.

My understanding is S.Yates is riding the TDF in 2022 - No idea if stage hunting or GC.

• Wow
Both of them has more wins than Carapaz, as of now.

But in terms of what they have won. Giro and an Olympic Gold of course tops anything the others have won.

Factually, you are wrong though on them not being "winners" compared to Carapaz.
Both have won far less than their talents say they should have. Losers.
And let's all laugh at comparing their palmares to a Giro gc win and Olympic road race because of 'more'.

In top form he might be the only other rider who could win a gc that they all started. It would have to be a low TT vuelta, but it's theoretically possible.

Last edited:
Both have won far less than their talents say they should have. Losers.
And let's all laugh at comparing their palmares to a Giro gc win and Olympic road race because of 'more'.

Ok, cool. Facts say they have won more races numbers wise, as of now. You cant say they are not winners. Whether they should have won more to match their talent is a complete different topic.

Did you even read my post... I said Giro and Olympic gold obviously tops anything they have won.

Ok, cool. Facts say they have won more races numbers wise, as of now. You cant say they are not winners. Whether they should have won more to match their talent is a complete different topic.

Did you even read my post... I said Giro and Olympic gold obviously tops anything they have won.

Considering Landa has 3 wins in his past four seasons while Carapaz has 12, you could make a case for Carapaz being more of a winner than Landa.