• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa

May 20, 2010
Visit site
This is a question directed at some forum members from Basque Country, with better access to news in Basque or Spanish language, or anyone else that can help.

Is this guy injured or having some physical problems this year? He was one of the most talented climbers of his generation, and this year, when a proper WT breakthrough was to be expected, his results seem to be very bad. Anyone knows something that i dont?

Thanks for the replies.

nesocip said:
This is a question directed at some forum members from Basque Country, with better access to news in Basque or Spanish language, or anyone else that can help.

Is this guy injured or having some physical problems this year? He was one of the most talented climbers of his generation, and this year, when a proper WT breakthrough was to be expected, his results seem to be very bad. Anyone knows something that i dont?

Thanks for the replies.
I am not basque, but I am friend of a friend, and I have talked with Landa sometimes.

He is really talented, he is ok, in fact, it is the only year he has not have problems with crash... yes, he had allergies problerms in Basque country, so, he was ok, but he couldent give his best, he felt like without air.

But the problem is not that, all the team is very unmotivated, mainly because supporters are not the same, they dont wear orange T shirt and things like that, but the main problem is the trainer, Mujika, people is not happy with him, they train a lot, but bad, and nobody get good results... the only rider with personal trainer, the same as usual, is Samu.

Taxus4a said:
I am not basque, but I am friend of a friend, and I have talked with Landa sometimes.

He is really talented, he is ok, in fact, it is the only year he has not have problems with crash... yes, he had allergies problerms in Basque country, so, he was ok, but he couldent give his best, he felt like without air.

But the problem is not that, all the team is very unmotivated, mainly because supporters are not the same, they dont wear orange T shirt and thinks like that, but the main problem is the trainer, Mujika, people is not happy with him, they train a lot, but bad, and nobody get good results... the only rider with personal trainer, the same as usual, is Samu.

Interesting info, thanks for sharing.

Taxus4a said:

But the problem is not that, all the team is very unmotivated, mainly because supporters are not the same, they dont wear orange T shirt and thinks like that, but the main problem is the trainer, Mujika, people is not happy with him, they train a lot, but bad, and nobody get good results... the only rider with personal trainer, the same as usual, is Samu.

Cold weather allergy? ;)

Flamin said:
Cold weather allergy? ;)
No, I mean allergies with spring allergies. He told to my friend when he was in the break with Txurruka, Fraile, etc... that he was feeling strong, but he needed more air in the strong efforts.

I hope anyway he can show his qualities as climber soon, he is a climber close to the Quintana level, one point down, because people as Quintana is difficult to find. He is not good at ITT.

I dont know if is possible to write about this here, but he is very commited againts doping

Taxus4a said:
No, I mean allergies with spring allergies. He told to my friend when he was in the break with Txurruka, Fraile, etc... that he was feeling strong, but he needed more air in the strong efforts.

I hope anyway he can show his qualities as climber soon, he is a climber close to the Quintana level, one point down, because people as Quintana is difficult to find. He is not good at ITT.

I dont know if is possible to write about this here, but he is very commited againts doping

I guess he has it really bad in full spring then, since it was rainy and only just above 0 degrees in País Vasco.

Flamin said:
I guess he has it really bad in full spring then, since it was rainy and only just above 0 degrees in País Vasco.

I live close to basque country, and the day finishing in La lejana, when he had allergies was a sunny day, about 10-15 degrees. The worst day was the day before last one, when even was snowing in the top of a climb.

No, at least all the spanish riders are not commited againts doping, maybe they dont dope, but they could do it if possible. there are people that is just: NO, they leave cycling before. Verona is one of them as well

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Taxus4a said:

rofl128470858931406250.jpg

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. What has he done besides that stage win in Burgos and 2nd in GP Indurain? The way Basque riders are overestimated here amazes me. He's a talented climber, but certainly no future GT contender.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:

lol. that is your answer? :lolcry:

here is mine

1 Nairo Alexander Quintanarojas (Col) Colombia 5:44:31
2 Andrew Talansky (USA) United States of America 0:00:39
3 Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Spain
4 Darwin Atapuma (Col) Colombia 0:00:41
5 Tom Jelte Slagter (Ned) Netherlands 0:00:43
6 Michael Matthews (Aus) Australia 0:01:34
7 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Netherlands 0:01:38
8 Higinio Fernandez Suarez (Spa) Spain
9 Jarlinson Pantano Gomez (Col) Colombia
10 Dmitriy Ignatyev (Rus) Russian Federation

1 Nairo Alexander Quintanarojas (Col) Colombia 0:33:36
2 Andrew Talansky (USA) United States of America 0:00:47
3 Jarlinson Pantano Gomez (Col) Colombia 0:01:17
4 Tom Jelte Slagter (Ned) Netherlands 0:01:45
5 Gregory Brenes (CRc) Equipe-Mixte 0:01:53
6 Michael Matthews (Aus) Australia 0:01:55
7 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Netherlands 0:02:07
8 Jesus Herrada Lopez (Spa) Spain 0:02:15
9 Dmitriy Ignatyev (Rus) Russian Federation 0:02:20
10 Vicente Garcia Da Mateos Rubio (Spa) Spain
13 Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Spain 0:02:36

notice how eijssne isn't in any of these results. why? because eijssne had rode away in downhil with a small greoup without quintana.

your trolling and hating is as pathetic as ever

Ryo Hazuki said:
notice how eijssne isn't in any of these results. why? because eijssne had rode away in downhil with a small greoup without quintana.

your trolling and hating is as pathetic as ever
IIRC Eijssen escaped solo in that stage. So somehow Landa did manage to leave Quintana behind, uphill.

I'm not hating on Quintana. But your ridiculously bold statements always bite you in the a$$, something you apparently don't recognize ;)

Landa is an amazing climber, but I have said he is a point under Quintana level.
Quintana is better TT.
I dont know how consistent will be Landa in the future or if he could aim to win importants GC, but as a talented climber, he is the best basque in the last years clearly. He is not taking results, that is right, but he will show that some day.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
IIRC Eijssen escaped solo in that stage. So somehow Landa did manage to leave Quintana behind, uphill.

I'm not hating on Quintana. But your ridiculously bold statements always bite you in the a$$, something you apparently don't recognize ;)

eijssen escaped yes with a group of others. not alone. quintana wasn't dropped in climb but in downhil. it was a messy stage which meant nothing for gc and landa sure as hell didn't drop quintana in the climb