• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Milano - Sanremo 2023, one day monument, March 18

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Clearly, those folks saying there isn’t much strategy involved for San Remo haven’t seen all your game plans! ;)
Oh, I was talking more in general terms, because Im actually not watching that race before at least the last 2 hours... its pretty pointless to me, unless I just have it in the background and focus my attention elsewhere and listen a bit here and there.

But it depends a ton on commentators as well, I must admit! Especially in long, uneventful races. If Bastian Emil was to commentate, I'd probably watch (I assume only the Danes know him). Or Dennis Ritter and Chris Anker (RIP).

Reactions: jsem94 and Sciatic
Oh, I was talking more in general terms, because Im actually not watching that race before at least the last 2 hours... its pretty pointless to me, unless I just have it in the background and focus my attention elsewhere and listen a bit here and there.

But it depends a ton on commentators as well, I must admit! Especially in long, uneventful races. If Bastian Emil was to commentate, I'd probably watch (I assume only the Danes know him). Or Dennis Ritter and Chris Anker (RIP).
Of course. I just meant that it’s very fun to hear about folks “preparation” for a big race—whether they are joking or serious about their “race strategies.” :)

Reactions: noob
Of course. I just meant that it’s very fun to hear about folks “preparation” for a big race—whether they are joking or serious about their “race strategies.” :)
I'll be making Lasagna during the day. Normally I don't really cook when a big race is happening, but MSR is so boring until they arrive at the Cipressa I've got more than enough time

Are you making everything from scratch?
It doesn't usually take 7 hours to make lasagna, does it?
If you make it right, from scratch, prep the dough: one kilo of flour for 10 eggs (Chef Claudio did 22) stir it with a machine if you can. By hand it's 45 minutes to get it right, sprinkle it with water, roll it into a ball, refrigerate overnight (i.e. let stand and proof). That's 1 1/2 hours of work max.

Stretch and cut the dough on Day 2, while you cook the meat at 80% of where it should be. Take the meat out, drain the fat, let it cool down for a few minutes. Oil the bottom of the lasagna dish.

Sauce: tomatoes? I like Roma. Boil so you can skin them and discard seeds easily. You can also do a bechamel to be the sauce. It's awesome with a nutty cheese. And you can do both. But cook it slow, don't burn it. One hour.

Assembly: you have the sauce, put some at the bottom of the dish, then lasagna, build layers with crumbles of a hard cheese in between. So that's maybe one hour.

Like 3 hours of work so far. The rest is watch and one intervention. "The Watch" begins: 45 minutes in a 380 degree (like 7 setting in France), take out and put that layer of cheese, Cook until it's brown on top and by then your nose will tell you everything that you need to know.

I couldn't help it...that's what I do!

Nibali recollects his Milano Sanremo win (in Italian)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqEFi_EelkU

Waited to see the trophy cabinet, but to no avail, alas!
Btw, lo Squalo is too much on antipasti these days!

Happy new cycling season everybody. '96 edition still my fave one (obviously from those I've seen). Also I've just notice that Bettini's palmares> Piti's palmares (was watching Grillo's recollections of his MSR win)..

Tudor obviously chose their (almost) weakest possible line-up for MSR, I could hardly believe it:

231 PLUIMERS Rick
232 BOHLI Tom
233 CHARRIN Aloïs
234 WIRTGEN Luc
235 HEMING Mika
236 KLUCKERS Arthur
237 THALMANN Roland

And their Milano-Torino winner (last Wednesday) de Kleijn rides Classique Loire Atlantique today?! Cannot be true?

Maybe they just are looking for points (better chances in the French race)?

With this line-up for MSR, all they can do is join the breakaway. MSR is not too hard to finish, so most of the seven could get to San Remo.

But none of these seven riders for MSR might achieve Top-100.

I think Cancellara should have given MSR a little bit more respect, and should have selected his seven best men. It‘s a monument after all.

I had a prophetic dream. Magnus Cort will win MS after joining the early break and going solo on the Cipressa. Pogacar and Van Aert will reach the top of the Poggio six seconds behind him, but due to a lack of cooperation they won't close the gap.

1. Cort
  2. Van Aert 2"
  3. Pogacar
  4. Philipsen 6"
  5. Pedersen
  6. Girmay
  7. De Lie
  8. Laporte
  9. Démare
  10. Alaphilippe

Me too. Poor Teddy will be dragging uphill the whole peleton not realizing that something is wrong. At the end, due to tiredness, he will forget to sprint with MVP passing by. There will be a lot of "f**k you" as well.

Teddy.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Pantani_lives