• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Milano - Sanremo: March 23rd, 2019

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Eyeballs Out said:
Another question - what do UAE do with Kristoff and Gaviria if they are both there at the end ? On paper, Kristoff deserves at least equal status here.
Could they let them both do their own sprint ?
Gav is faster so Kristoff will probably lead him out for the win. I remember Kristoff being super pissed when EBH didn't lead him out at WC. Hopefully for Gav, Kristoff remembers the feeling.

Re: Re:

sir fly said:
hammerthaim said:
This logic is a bit flawed. Yes the most likely scenario is a sprint and Alaphilippe of course won't win in that scenario, but that doesn't mean that he can't be the biggest favorite.
Triple negatives make it hard to understand what you're saying here mate.
Put it in the bracket, helps.

Meanwhile, on the road - where there's the smoke, there's the fire.
You do it haha

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Finally, the race is on..... MSR is always incredibly boring for the first 80 % of the race..... Should not be a monument.

It is about endurance though, even if may be "boring to watch". 270km in the legs before the last 20km still takes it toll. Some years its a bunch sprint, some years a small group and some years a solo win. I like that.

The race also have a long history and is just a classic race. Should definitely maintain its status as a monument.

Salvarani said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Finally, the race is on..... MSR is always incredibly boring for the first 80 % of the race..... Should not be a monument.

It is about endurance though, even if may be "boring to watch". 270km in the legs before the last 20km still takes it toll. Some years its a bunch sprint, some years a small group and some years a solo win. I like that.

The race also have a long history and is just a classic race. Should definitely maintain its status as a monument.

I fully understand that...... however, there are many other races you could give an equal distance, that would make for far more interesting racing...... at the end of the day, without people wanting to watch it, cycling is no longer a pro sport ;)

If this was the World Championships route..... people would be pissed off and call it an outrage.

And yes, I understand the historical significance..... but at the end of the day, I believe a "monument" should be "monumental"...... not just a - slightly longer - standard TdF sprinters stage :)

Broccolidwarf said:
Salvarani said:
Broccolidwarf said:

I fully understand that...... however, there are many other races you could give an equal distance, that would make for far more interesting racing...... at the end of the day, without people wanting to watch it, cycling is no longer a pro sport ;)

And yes, I understand the historical significance..... but at the end of the day, I believe a "monument" should be "monumental"...... not just a - slightly longer - standard TdF sprinters stage :)

But if you give the status to many other races... that status eventually loses its meaning.

spalco said:
Broccolidwarf said:

Go watch ping pong if you want nonstop action.

The sport is what it is.

Sure buddy, cycling is only for people that think exactly like you - and anyone who think differently, should drop the sport and go somewhere else - cycling can never change...... :rolleyes:

Salvarani said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Salvarani said:
Broccolidwarf said:

But if you give the status to many other races... that status eventually loses its meaning.

Again, I fully agree - which is why I said MSR should not be a monument - with the current route...... either way, back to the racing - now it's interesting :cool: