• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Millar: Pro cycling cleaner than it's ever been

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

issoisso said:
Actually, yes. Heavy EPO use tends to make your hair lighter for some people (not everyone, just some people). But it isn't uniform, it only causes "spots" of lighter hair. So it looks extremely weird and very noticeable. Which is like painting "I'm on EPO" on your forehead.

The obvious solution is to either shave it all off or dye all of it light to make it look like it's on purpouse.

omg.. laurent fignon wasnt really blonde :confused:

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Match

Cycling is cleaner now then it has been since LeMonds retirement. I like the EPO and testasterone tests with the spectrometer.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I think Garmin

I think it is about control, tracking spectrometer,biological passport. You are going to get the targeted, politically incorrect, and super fuelers(FrankVanderbrouke, Pantani,Tyler,Roebellin).

It is basiclley a weeding out process. I do not think the authorities want to stop doping completely. If they did it would be a lifetime ban with a 2 year felony conviction.

The interview with Millar is at the end of disk 2 of the Floyd 2006 Tour.

flicker said:
I think it is about control, tracking spectrometer,biological passport. You are going to get the targeted, politically incorrect, and super fuelers(FrankVanderbrouke, Pantani,Tyler,Roebellin).

It is basiclley a weeding out process. I do not think the authorities want to stop doping completely. If they did it would be a lifetime ban with a 2 year felony conviction.

The interview with Millar is at the end of disk 2 of the Floyd 2006 Tour.

Other than DiLuca they really haven't caught anyone that has made me sit up and go "maybe they really are closing the noose. Talk to me when they bust Armstrong, Kloden, Levi, Contador, Wiggans, Evans, Schlecks, Cancellara, Nibali, etc. etc. Oh lets just say some of the guys with good well designed programs rather that just the stupid, careless, or about to retire and not on the UCI's heros of cycling list.

Hugh Januss said:
Other than DiLuca they really haven't caught anyone that has made me sit up and go "maybe they really are closing the noose. Talk to me when they bust Armstrong, Kloden, Levi, Contador, Wiggans, Evans, Schlecks, Cancellara, Nibali, etc. etc. Oh lets just say some of the guys with good well designed programs rather that just the stupid, careless, or about to retire and not on the UCI's heros of cycling list.

My thoughts exactly.

Hugh Januss said:

Any key non-Italians.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I'm not completely sure why Nibali is on your list, but I agree with your general thought.

Can we substitute and put Valverde on it instead?

:eek:

I would add Valverde, don't know if it needs to be either/or between them. The omission was purely because I didn't get to the V's. I would have a hard time convincing myself that either of them did the rides they did this year without doing all the things the guys around them were doing +/- 10%.
Before I ever found this forum I was pretty well able to convince myself that only the bad guys cheated and a reasonable percentage of them were being caught (and that was with 39 years of racing and being a fan at the same time). Now I have a hard time not subscribing to Big Boat's theory, that they are all doing it, not the one about the pepsi can. So thanks for ruining my enjoyment of pro cycling guys.:D

Hugh Januss said:
The omission was purely because I didn't get to the V's.
LOL! :D

I would have a hard time convincing myself that either of them did the rides they did this year without doing all the things the guys around them were doing +/- 10%.

Well, the point is that despite what seems nearly blatantly obvious doping at the top end of the sport, and a lot of talk by the UCI about stopping the big name drug cheats, it's frequently only small guys who have been busted.

I mean, if we look back over the last year or two, who are the biggest names nailed? DiLuca? Rebellin? Markus Cronjäger?! Camilo Gomez?!??

Alpe d'Huez said:
LOL! :D

Well, the point is that despite what seems nearly blatantly obvious doping at the top end of the sport, and a lot of talk by the UCI about stopping the big name drug cheats, it's frequently only small guys who have been busted.

I mean, if we look back over the last year or two, who are the biggest names nailed? DiLuca? Rebellin? Markus Cronjäger?! Camilo Gomez?!??

There is little doubt in my mind that other names have been targeted but evidence has been swept under the run in order to "protect the sport".

I'd bet that if Cancellara were ever caught, that evidence would never see the light of day.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Yes the cycling doping busts are political. Similar to Mexican Drug cartels, a snitch gives up a small fry dealer while the Big Boys become rich and glorious. Then everyone says what a great job the DEA and Mexican government is doing.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
There's also more incentive to cover things up as long as money is tight - maybe why we didn't see any positives (yet) from the Tour.

It will be interesting to see if things change as economies rebound and the supply of sponsors is greater.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Actually, yes. Heavy EPO use tends to make your hair lighter for some people (not everyone, just some people). But it isn't uniform, it only causes "spots" of lighter hair. So it looks extremely weird and very noticeable. Which is like painting "I'm on EPO" on your forehead.

The obvious solution is to either shave it all off or dye all of it light to make it look like it's on purpouse.
I have never once heard of this effect. Perhaps you could provide some evidence? I had thought that the bleached hair was used only to kill traces of banned substances in the hair itself should it ever be tested.

TRENDING THREADS