• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Millar seems to be on form

Millar great ride today.

What do we think? He seems to be back closer to his old self. Which is good. But it raises the obvious question? Is he doing this on bread and water?

I hope for his sake he is because his life will really go down the toilet if he isn't and he gets caught.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Let's put it like this:
It's a pretty good effort to leave riders like Txurruka and especially Chavanel behind like that;)

History tells us: Sooner or later every one gets caught:rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
A little far fetched. It's the first week of the TdF, fresh legs, and he has been in one escape in which he only started pushing hard the last what 30k?

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
my view is that Millar is showing integrity and riding on bread and water...he was aided by difficult roads to navigate for a large bunch, high motivation of riding in his 'local' area and good form in the purest sense.

It would seem unlikely to be beyond that and either with Garmin or the speculated move to Sky he would jeapodize everything he has rebuilt...

Hayden Roulston said:
Let's put it like this:
It's a pretty good effort to leave riders like Txurruka and especially Chavanel behind like that;)

History tells us: Sooner or later every one gets caught:rolleyes:

What's your point? He WAS caught, and history tells us that there are far more people doping than people getting "caught".

It's not like his form hasn't been good.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I think that the fact that he lost something like a minute twentyone on the peloton in the last few kilometres probably should go to answer a few questions.

A one off break like that is probably the best way to look at it - a one off break by a good TT rider who was able to employ those skills in the last thirty Ks. It was chance that it turned up on the first week and was (is) still in contention for the Maillot Jaune; if anything, the fact that he was still in contention probably ruined his chances of taking the victory. Similarly, Voeckler's win yesterday was followed up by the expectable 151st of 177, 6m55 down. Whatever about anything else, it is unlikely he is on EPO.

As regards suspicious performances, when you see someone putting in amazing performances day after day, especially in the mountains or hilly territory, then you start the questions in earnest. Look at Sella in the 2008 Giro - two wins and a second in three days in the mountains. I can think of at least one other who managed to garner three successive mountain finish victories in a grand tour having previously managed a back-to-back first and second in the same kind of terrain the previous week. Did that happen much before 1990? I don't think so, but I can only imagine Merckx doing so, and even that is a stretch.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
What's your point? He WAS caught, and history tells us that there are far more people doping than people getting "caught".

It's not like his form hasn't been good.

My point is that nearly every big shot was caught!

-Armstrong (nothing happened)
-Ullrich
-Landis
-Rasmussen
-Contador (though not traced for he's a spaniard)
-Valverde
-Kohl
-Ricco
-Sella
-Simoni
-Basso
-Di Luca
-Rebellin
-Boonen
-Dekker
-Museeuw
-Astarloa

couldn't think of more in 30 seconds;)
Sometimes it's just bad/good luck, but that's the way it works... If your cheating your girlfriend she'll find out one day... Maybe tomorrow, maybe in 10 years;)

I really hope that Millar is clean, for his own sake... But if he's not they'll get him sooner or later!

A

Anonymous

rolfrae said:
I'm pretty certain that if Millar was doping then he'd have won the stage.

im pretty sure that if dave and the rest of the garmin boys where doping that he'd already be in yellow...

I think the ttt showed, that at least four of their riders are clean. ;)

oh the joys of misplaced faith..:D

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
dimspace said:
im pretty sure that if dave and the rest of the garmin boys where doping that he'd already be in yellow...

I think the ttt showed, that at least four of their riders are clean. ;)

oh the joys of misplaced faith..:D

Always with a pinch of salt in cycling but I agree, if they were on any kind of plan then Wiggins might even have been in yellow after the TTT.

This is ridiculous. Just because a rider is in a break and stayed alone, against the peloton for 20 km in one day you open a thread to especulate if he's doping or not?

Maybe he's doping or maybe not. We can't know from a single breakaway. Let's see in the mountains. If he wins attacking Alberto Contador in the last five km's than it's very possibe that he's jacked.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it is rediculous...given the history. Millar has been riding at a very high level for a little while now. Probably not doped...but then again...

TRENDING THREADS