• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Milram... tragic underperformers?

Seriously, what's up with this team.
Everyone who goes there seems to get A LOT weaker than in any other team.
Ciolek, was one of the upcoming top sprinters when he left High Road for Milram. Now he can't even beat the likes of Ruben Perez Moreno and other lower class sprinters anymore.
Gerdemann, once considered Germany's highest GC prospects, not only underperforms on mountains but even his TT isn't as good as it once was.
Rohregger, performed far better at his old team then at Milram, he was once a climber there, now, not so much
I won't even begin about the rest of them...

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Seriously, what's up with this team.
Everyone who goes there seems to get A LOT weaker than in any other team.
Ciolek, was one of the upcoming top sprinters when he left High Road for Milram. Now he can't even beat the likes of Ruben Perez Moreno and other lower class sprinters anymore.
Gerdemann, once considered Germany's highest GC prospects, not only underperforms on mountains but even his TT isn't as good as it once was.
Rohregger, performed far better at his old team then at Milram, he was once a climber there, now, not so much
I won't even begin about the rest of them...

I totally agree with the riders you have mentioned,but Luke roberts is having a good season this year.Maybe its wearing those pale blue kits thats working against them.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
From what we've heard of the riders who left the team, the team is seriously behind the times and management just don't care.

Need help with nutrition? You're not getting any. Need help with training? not getting any. Need specially fitted material? You can F*** off.

And so on.

Also, did you work for teammates like the management asked you instead of trying to go for results? Too bad. At the end of the season you can bank on being released "because you didn't get results".

That team needs to be euthanized as soon as possible, for the good of the riders involved.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

In my opinion he was highly overrated. He got in the right break and was lucky enough to get the Maillot Jaune, that was all. He could never be a serious GT contedor, everyone just got all hyped up in Germany, as they always do (another example of it being Stefan Schumacher - before they found out he'd doped).

Same with the Fothen brothers - they do well once and then everyone thinks they're the next Jan Ullrich. Afterwards everyone is really surprised when they're just average

Germany always has a cycling scene, but there's a bit of fluctuation based on German successes. After years of getting behind T-Mobile, Zabel and Ullrich, they've been very behind the sport; after too many doping scandals and their heroes retiring, their interest has waned somewhat with no big German GC riders stepping up to follow in their footsteps. Other riders who show promise are immediately given the 'next Jan' treatment, often unreasonably and unrealistically. When they fail to deliver, the team loses faith, the fans lose interest, and the sport loses out. I get the feeling Milram see themselves as something of a placeholder for German cycling, willing to be there but also kind of hoping somebody will set up a new T-Mobile type German team soon and they can hop across and take advantage of a better situation. The likes of Wegmann and Gerdemann are talented riders but there isn't really the support in the lineup nor the faith of the team owners in them to challenge as much and as often as they could, and perhaps should (the fact that Wegmann has lost a lot of the last 18 months to injury has also been a big problem for Milram). You just need to look at how ecstatic Wegmann was at the win in the Frankfurt May Day Race and how the team reacted to see how much that one meant to them - as Germany's biggest one-day race (and arguably its' biggest race outright at present) that could be the difference between the team surviving and dying.

Think of the Germans' interest in cycling as being not too dissimilar to that in America - you may see the same thing happen soon, if Armstrong, Hincapie, Leipheimer and Horner all retire close together, doping scandals rock them, and there's no immediate successor in sight (this has already happened to some extent with the likes of Tommy D), the public may well become jaded and not so interested in the sport, and any American rider showing promise will be hyped beyond reason in an attempt to return public focus to the sport. The sport will never die outright in America just as it will never die outright in Germany, but all that the situation would create is disappointments until a new team starts up (NetApp are hoping to build themselves up in that manner) who the public can get behind and have faith in (as opposed to Milram, who are constant underdogs) or a new superstar who can compete for high profile events (the Germans have the advantage here since their population know much more of the cycling calendar than the average American citizen) hits the scene. Even so, the amount of scandals that have hit the sport recently - and German-speaking Europe has been particularly hard-hit, with Gerolsteiner and T-Mobile, with Schumacher, Pfannberger, Kohl, and so on - have made sponsors unwilling to come forward.

I think there is a good chance that Milram will fold at the end of this season. Should that happen, I would expect that some of the better riders - Rohregger, Gerdemann, Terpstra, Wegmann - will find themselves a reasonable ride. They won't be contenders or team leaders, but they'll probably find themselves a position in the ProTour or at a high profile ProConti team. The 'lesser riders' will probably wind up on Continental German teams; I would not be surprised to see the majority wind up on Team NetApp as part of their bid to improve their visibility and step up through the levels, the same way as Bessons Chaussures-Sojasun put in the money to take on most of Crédit Agricole's offcuts, and that attracted a new sponsor and brought them up a level one year later. I would be somewhat upset about the loss of top-level German cycling if Milram folded, but at the same time NetApp are a lot more progressive and ambitious.

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
I think german interest in cycling is much larger than american interest. The whole Telekom farce brought a generation into the sport but at the same time it knocked it down when the truth came out.
I still think most germans don't even know what happened to Ullrich or Zabel but they remember the Sinkewitz case because the sponsors and TV used it as an excuse to get out of the sport during an economic downturn.
The general public interest is still there, just look at the Vattenfall Cyclassics, a huge race with thousands of participants and followed by a protour race.

Milram however, sucks badly.