• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Missing riders this year

May 31, 2010
Visit site
what has happened to tony martin, linus gerdemann, karpets? i know these aren't GC guys but i expected a bit more from them, especially vlad now he has got rid of the mullett :)

Gerdemann was in the big break in the Giro and rode like billy-o through bronchitis to protect his position (in futility in the end). He was 16th overall. I think he's probably quite tired. Gerdemann was also the one who was doing the whole being-chaperoned-for-the-whole-Tour to prove his cleanliness thing too.

Karpets has been riding the whole week with a broken hand, Katyusha's twitter reports, and has withdrawn from the race. He thought it was more minor than it was and he could ride through it but after scans on the rest day and it bothering him more than he thought, he's pulling out.

Thee_chisa said:
what has happened to tony martin, linus gerdemann, karpets? i know these aren't GC guys but i expected a bit more from them, especially vlad now he has got rid of the mullett :)
I am only surprised at Karpets. I am not surprised about the other two. When have they proved to have GC potential. So far is has only been talk.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Gerdemann was in the big break in the Giro and rode like billy-o through bronchitis to protect his position (in futility in the end). He was 16th overall. I think he's probably quite tired. Gerdemann was also the one who was doing the whole being-chaperoned-for-the-whole-Tour to prove his cleanliness thing too.

Karpets has been riding the whole week with a broken hand, Katyusha's twitter reports, and has withdrawn from the race. He thought it was more minor than it was and he could ride through it but after scans on the rest day and it bothering him more than he thought, he's pulling out.

Gerdemann attacked on the hilly stage that Chavanel won. I'd be surprised if he doesn't have another go before the end of the race.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Karpets - injured, out of the race
Martin - lost time on stage 3 and is now filling in for Adam Hansen
Gerdemann - he'll do something yet. He's my tip for Wednesday's stage.

As for actual missing riders, who are the stars who are missing completely?

Boonen's injured, and that seems to have worked out well for QS. Devolder - is he injured? Sadly Gilbert decided to give it a miss. Nibali's tired and looking at the Vuelta. Anyone else? (And don't say Greipel, he's hopelessly overrated)

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:

Boonen's injured, and that seems to have worked out well for QS. Devolder - is he injured? Sadly Gilbert decided to give it a miss. Nibali's tired and looking at the Vuelta. Anyone else? (And don't say Greipel, he's hopelessly overrated)

kirchen for one, valverde,

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:

David Moncoutie,not the greatest rider in the world but always prepared to have a go.And if what we are lead to believe is true, one of the sports clean guys!

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Thee_chisa said:
kirchen for one, valverde,

Kirchen yes. But Valverde doesn't count (and nor does Pelezotti). I could have added Bennati and Chicchi too (the former being more of a star, but the latter in better form)

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:

Devolder's riding the tour of Austria right now. He'll be a feature at the Vuelta

Mambo95 said:

Honestly, there aren't that many guys missing. It's one of the great things about the Tour and how it partially makes up for not having as exciting a parcours as the other two GTs. Probably only Gilbert, Valverde, Boonen, Greipel, Pozzato, Ricco, Garzelli, Pelli, Nibali, and Devolder are missing among true "stars"

Other than that, guys like Kirchen, Anton, Haussler, Scarponi, Rujano, Mosquera, Visconti, Sagan...of course who belongs in these lists is highly debatable.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
I'm still looking for the mystery man Evens that Wonderlance and a few others like to talk about so much. So far I've worked out he has big hairy feet and is related to Bilbo Baggins.

Oh and some GC contender named Wiggins, all I've seen is some pack fodder named Wigans...

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Kirchen yes. But Valverde doesn't count (and nor does Pelezotti). I could have added Bennati and Chicchi too (the former being more of a star, but the latter in better form)

The problem with Chicci is that he would get dropped on a speed bump.

TRENDING THREADS