• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mobile Cyclingnews?

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if you had any thoughts or current work going toward a mobile version of your site. I hate to say it, but I've been peaking at Velonews a lot lately, just because they have http://mobile.velonews.com/, but it has been starting to lack severely lately and I would love to do all my shopping here!

Daniel Benson

Administrator
Mar 2, 2009
www.cyclingnews.com
Hi,

We are constantly looking at ways to improve the site both in terms of site development and editorial. The specific topic you've mentioned is something we will be discussing and we hope to have a solution in the not too distant future.

Watch this space.

Daniel

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Daniel, thanks a ton for your reply, but I worry that it's something that will never be. Having worked in software development and having provided enterprise level web applications for the last 14 years, I know what
"We are constantly looking at ways to improve the site both in terms of site development and editorial"
actually means...

It just seems, at least to me, that in 2010, not having an approach to attract the mobile user market is just giving up on a huge amount of readers.

Just my 2 cents. There's no contest that cyclingnews.com is the outright leader in this vertical, just thought it would be a nice feature.

A

Anonymous

Daniel Benson said:
Hi,

We are constantly looking at ways to improve the site both in terms of site development and editorial. The specific topic you've mentioned is something we will be discussing and we hope to have a solution in the not too distant future.

Watch this spacel

Im sure i read this last summer.. :p

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Mobile version would be just great!

Seems I'm starting to use my communicator more than my notebook now ) It's time to move to mobile versions definitely.

My 200th post :p

I check CN using my girlfriend's Nintendo DS. Slow as heck on that.

One quickish win that won't help with bandwidth but will make things more readable would be to insert a reductive stylesheet specifically for @media=handheld.

This will enable you to apply relative widths and type sizes and perhaps to limit some of the heftier display aspects. Because, as I suggested, this is reductive in nature, it's very quick to implement, since most of the style rules will be very general. Equally, the footprint is just one line of xHTML in your header include, to append the stylesheet.

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
I use my iPhone to check cyclingnews everyday and I just stop it loading after all the text has loaded (i.e before the pictures load)

bit of a pain to navigate but manageable, however a mobile version would be fantastic

A

Anonymous

WATCH-THIS-SPACE_390.jpg

we are still watching.. but nothings happened..

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Downloaded the new iPhone app today. It's pretty slick and so far it's worked great. Nice job, guys and gals.

Would love to see forum functionality included into it, but I recognize that may be pretty difficult.

A

Anonymous

Seems thats the way the internet is going. As long as they keep the iphone users happy all is good.

Are you mobile friendly? Yes, weve done an iphone app.

Never have, and never will own an iphone. :confused:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Seems thats the way the internet is going. As long as they keep the iphone users happy all is good.

Are you mobile friendly? Yes, weve done an iphone app.

Never have, and never will own an iphone. :confused:

In general, it's because publishers see an opportunity to get some revenue from their online content. We're giving the iPhone app away for free because we're nice like that. ;)

Why so against iPhones? What about a mobile app for Android or Blackberry etc? Mobile apps do offer a neat way to make the content work really nicely on the specific mobile device. It can be a real challenge to get things as usable on such a wide range of mobile devices with very different capabilities using just HTML or WAP.

A

Anonymous

agaler said:
In general, it's because publishers see an opportunity to get some revenue from their online content. We're giving the iPhone app away for free because we're nice like that. ;)

Why so against iPhones? What about a mobile app for Android or Blackberry etc? Mobile apps do offer a neat way to make the content work really nicely on the specific mobile device. It can be a real challenge to get things as usable on such a wide range of mobile devices with very different capabilities using just HTML or WAP.

lol. Dont get me started. I have all sorts of issues with apple. Forcing people to use certain software to connect their mp3 players too, keeping their software backbone secret forcing creators of apps into buying the ability to create for it. The fact that for 75% of apple owners its about status and coolness and not about functionality. (there is a certain elitism about macs) The fact that they are beset with problems, batteries dying and then con customers into paying a fortune for repair or replacement. I just dont like Apple, and Steve Jobs is a dipstick :D

I do also think that a lot of content providers see providing an iphone app as a lazy answer to the lack of mobile support argument. Its a lot easier to provide an app than recode entire websites, or code them to be mobile friendly (not saying thats cn's approach).

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
I do also think that a lot of content providers see providing an iphone app as a lazy answer to the lack of mobile support argument. Its a lot easier to provide an app than recode entire websites, or code them to be mobile friendly (not saying thats cn's approach).

For people used to making websites, apps aren't really the lazy option but I do see your point.

Hopefully a mobile version is coming.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
lol. Dont get me started. I have all sorts of issues with apple. Forcing people to use certain software to connect their mp3 players too, keeping their software backbone secret forcing creators of apps into buying the ability to create for it. The fact that for 75% of apple owners its about status and coolness and not about functionality. (there is a certain elitism about macs) The fact that they are beset with problems, batteries dying and then con customers into paying a fortune for repair or replacement. I just dont like Apple, and Steve Jobs is a dipstick :D

The thing is Dim, the software works, doesn't fall over every three months and is pretty bug free. I have a 6 year old iMac running a 5 yo OS which works as quickly as the day that I bought it (faster with current ISP) and have only had one issue with replacing the power pack that cost £80 including service from a reseller 18 months ago. other than that, it's been perfect. I do not own an iPhone so can not comment on their functionality but most users are happy to use an intuitive interface which is what Apple offers them.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Any chance of including race results in the app? I mean that would make a lot more sens in the long run than e.g. the team rosters with a few general comments, perhaps include major results on the protour part of the app for each team

Pat

TRENDING THREADS