• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mobile Phones

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What is better

• I don't know.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Is HTC Desire HD the best phone in its price range. I mean as in Samsung Galaxy s2 is about £80 ($100?) more expensive and the other major ones are even more expensive.

Im talking £280/ $490 price range or so.

Another thing to factor in is if you do get the contract if breaking the contract less than the cost of the phone. You could still get the phone you want for a cheaper price if the cost of breaking the contract is less than the retail price of the phone. Well the remainder price of the phone with the contract.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Is HTC Desire HD the best phone in its price range. I mean as in Samsung Galaxy s2 is about £80 ($100?) more expensive and the other major ones are even more expensive.

Im talking £280/ $490 price range or so.

Also, look at the Galaxy Nexus (I've been calling it "Galaxy S" but apparently that is incorrect), which has a dual core processor and is the only one running Ice Cream Sandwich (the most advanced Android) right now. Here is a graphical tool you might find useful. I've set it up to compare The HTC Desire HD with both the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S2. Really, all three phones look great, but the Galaxy Nexus might be in your price range and offers more bang for the buck:

http://www.theverge.com/products/compare/826/3697/2946

EDIT: I just added the Nexus S to the comparison:

http://www.theverge.com/products/compare/826/3697/2946/1624

If it were me, I'd probably go with the Nexus S 'cause it's cheaper and smaller, but still great.

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
python said:
i see that blackberry not only is missing from the poll, it's not even mentioned by any poster :rolleyes:

is it really that bad :p

I use a blackberry. but purely because it is given to me by work and fully paid for. There may be more modern versions that are more competitive (i have a blackberry bold) but when i look at the latest releases the phone i have does not come close. small screen, lack in apps, general functionality etc.

for email it is fantastic.

not phones, but recently looked at buying ipad for wife and when considering the other options one of the main features the pushed me towards i products was the safety of apps. people complain about the way apple controls their marketplace for apps but one result of that is you can be confident about what you are getting.

guess it depends on what you are going to use phone for. If communication (in terms of twitter, email, text messages, chat, and actually making calls, then blackberry is fantastic)

as soon as you start to include music, video, web, gaming then it gets left behind.

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Also, have a look at Sony Ericsson phones. The Xperia Ray is a very nice one, powerful yet small, that might just become my new phone when my current contract expires. Mini Pro is also a good one, with a physical keyboard.

If you really want a model that's bigger, the Xperia Arc isn't your best choice probably, Samsung and HTC have better models there. For me though, I want a phone that's not terribly big, and lasts longer than one day on battery power. And that is exactly where phones such as the Ray and Mini Pro shine.

It's all personal preference though. Mostly I'd suggest going to a store and trying everything out for yourself, you'll notice soon enough what you do and don't like.

Maxiton said:
Also, look at the Galaxy Nexus (I've been calling it "Galaxy S" but apparently that is incorrect), which has a dual core processor and is the only one running Ice Cream Sandwich (the most advanced Android) right now. Here is a graphical tool you might find useful. I've set it up to compare The HTC Desire HD with both the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S2. Really, all three phones look great, but the Galaxy Nexus might be in your price range and offers more bang for the buck:

http://www.theverge.com/products/compare/826/3697/2946

EDIT: I just added the Nexus S to the comparison:

http://www.theverge.com/products/compare/826/3697/2946/1624

If it were me, I'd probably go with the Nexus S 'cause it's cheaper and smaller, but still great.

Would you say the Nexus S is worse than the Galaxy s II?

May 14, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Would you say the Nexus S is worse than the Galaxy s II?

Let's put it this way. The iPhone 3Gs is still a strong, fresh, capable offering. The Nexus S is demonstrably better than the iPhone 3Gs; super hi-res screen, more powerful processor, etc. Also, it is identical in size to the iPhone 3Gs - fits easily in a hand or a pants pocket.

The Galaxy S II is about a year newer, with a processor that is more powerful still; but, it's huge. It's almost like a mini-tablet, making it, in my view, impractical for use as a phone. Also, the larger glass surface will be more likely to crack. On the plus side, though, when you had it in your front pants pocket everyone would think you were excited to see them. :D It's also likely to be (much more) expensive.

I think only you can decide if it's too big / too expensive. You have to find it in a shop so you can try it. If it were me, I'd definitely go with the Nexus S - it's an awesome device.

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Have a Nokia. No idea what the name is. All I know is that it can write and ring - that's pretty much what I need it to do. Almost lost the little fella' but managed to fix it with red duct tape.

As long as the Iphone or Androids are so ridiculously big my current one will do just fine.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I really like the N95 love in this thread. :cool:
The accumulator is getting weaker right now, but I really don't see significant features in modern handys that would top the N95 features.
I even have a keyboard (thats what I state when people present their newest toy) and handy still works, even when it fell down or got wet around 100 times.

What about this, hitch ? This caught my eye.
It's the official "BILD" handy. Simple but red. :D

Should be the official "Sun" or "Daily Mail" handy on your side of the channel.

Bild-Zeitung-vermarktet-Simpel-Handy-zum-Kampfpreis_very_large.jpg

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
OK I picked up my LG Optima. Right now I hate it. I just got a call and I didn't know how to answer it. I the touchscreen requires a very light touch. of course for about an hour I tried pushing the buttons harder and harder. took 45 min to log into yahoo:eek:
but I'm sure once I get the hang of it things will be fine. The touch screen buttons seem very small for my sausage like fingers.

krebs303 said:
OK I picked up my LG Optima. Right now I hate it. I just got a call and I didn't know how to answer it. I the touchscreen requires a very light touch. of course for about an hour I tried pushing the buttons harder and harder. took 45 min to log into yahoo:eek:
but I'm sure once I get the hang of it things will be fine. The touch screen buttons seem very small for my sausage like fingers.

When I got my smartphone I pretty much fiddled with it for a whole day...mucked back & forth on all the buttons etc...
It will seem good in a day or so. Then you will wonder how you got along without it :)

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hitch, depends what you're looking for. iPhones are certainly the complete package and everyone I know that has one really likes it.

I have a Droid Bionic and have always been an Android fan for reasons that most people don't care about. I can load custom ROMs (operating systems) on it and completely customize it. I happen to be a software developer so this is something that appeals to me.

Droids can still be good if you use a lot of google services. It of course entirely integrates with everything (well almost) that Google offers. The navigation capabilities are outstanding and I love having it tied to Google voice for my voice mail instead of Verizon.

I've also heard good things about Windows phone 7 from some friends that have them.

I'm not sure you could go wrong with any of the above choices. Smart phones are super useful to have and I'd hesitate to be without one today.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I have a very bead relationship with phones and the people thats sell them. I have had two ifones fail from riding around in my jersey pocket . I have broken the glass both front and back on all version of the ifone. I was impressed that on 5 the glass back, that served no purpose was discontinued. There are so many great apps for the ifone. Huge step back by getting rid of Google maps. The new map system is sh!t. The main reason I discontinued using ifones is battery life. It is a crap design. They needed to make the phone thicker not thinner in order to have some battery life. Why not make a phone that doesn't break from...everything.

Ok now my first,second,third go around w droid phones. Talked w sales rep, he told me of the wonders of gorilla glass and great battery life on the Motorola. The first day I owned the phone I was careful to charge it completely and handle it gently. The second day after it was in my fron pocket it came out with a huge f-cking scratch from being co-pocketed with a few bills and some coins. I lived with the scratch. the third day the phone worked well for about 4 hours and then the battery was toast.
I blamed myself. I charged the phone completely again, the battery was done after 6.5 or so a hours. I thought I had a lemon and returned to the store. The guy said with a dirty,ugly smile that I should have got the max model instead if battery life was a must for my use pattern. I traded the phone in and was charged $35 and $55 for the better phone. The battery was better, the phone broke in my front pocket after 3 days wo a case.

The headphone jack broke after less than a week of use. After getting two more new ones I bought a OuterBox case for 33 more dollars and increasing the overall size of the phone by 10% it has been working good for 4 months. The rubber case makes the phone almost impossible to get in and out of a cycling jersey or jacket. The cut off top water bottle that I use to keep cash and a patch kit doesn't have enough room for the new mega phone.

The GPS programs that come w the phone work great. The music playing on the phone works OK, easier than being an itunes hostage but not much better.

As in years past I just use my Sandisk music player it works without problems, can put up w some rain,snow and body moisture. Costs 30 and is worth 5 times more.

RedheadDane said:
I haven't got a clue! I'm the proud owner of a Nokia 1661 myself. :D

All that smartphone stuff just ain't my style. I wouldn't be able to figure out half the functions anyway... :rolleyes:

I'm very sympathetic to this. I have no mobile phone in the U.S., there are very few times when I would need it. Like most if not all modern technology, mobile phones are designed not so much to satisfy needs, but to create new needs that you didn't have before. In the U.S. I see so many people on their phones all the time, and I think, how did you poor things survive in the days when there were no phones? Do you really have to update your life to all your friends every few minutes? Is the world such a dull place that you need to listen to hours of music every day just to get through it? I just feel I miss too much of what's really worthwhile in life if my attention is on a phone.

And make no mistake, this is only the beginning. There is new technology that in effect puts an enlarged screen right in front of your face, so you can use the phone all the time, no matter what you're doing. It becomes in effect part of the sensory environment, so you can shift instantly from the world of people, cars, trees, etc., to the world on the phone screen.

However, I have a very simple Nokia when abroad, mostly for texting. It costs less than $20 new, and there are very serviceable second-hand ones for even less. Doesn't even have a camera, if I want to take pictures (not very often) I use a digital camera that costs about $100. You can buy mobile phones with cameras for less than that, but I think the digital camera provides more for the money. If I want to email, I use a laptop. If that is the new old-fashioned, so be it, I really don't understand how people can browse the internet on a device with a screen about the size of your palm, anyway.

Where I am, SE Asia, contracts are not so common. You just buy a load for a few dollars, and when it runs out, you buy another. So you never end up eating a lot of money when you leave.

End of Old Fogey's rant.

Merckx index said:
I'm very sympathetic to this. I have no mobile phone in the U.S., there are very few times when I would need it. Like most if not all modern technology, mobile phones are designed not so much to satisfy needs, but to create new needs that you didn't have before. In the U.S. I see so many people on their phones all the time, and I think, how did you poor things survive in the days when there were no phones? Do you really have to update your life to all your friends every few minutes? Is the world such a dull place that you need to listen to hours of music every day just to get through it? I just feel I miss too much of what's really worthwhile in life if my attention is on a phone.

I agree with this, it is no different in Europe, unsurprisingly. On the train, in the park, even when talking to real life people, the mobile phone seems to be ever-present. To the extent that people do not experience things anymore for the here and now, but simply to tell things that happen in real-life to people that weren't there. Quite pointless and it begins to annoy me, even though I am sometimes part of it as well (although I generally avoid updating my personal life on the internet, I tend to browse news sites and such way too often).

I do need my mobile phone with internet for my work though. It is possible without it, but it would cost my employer quite some money if I wouldn't use it (for me personally it doesn't make that much of a difference).

Merckx index said:

And make no mistake, this is only the beginning. There is new technology that in effect puts an enlarged screen right in front of your face, so you can use the phone all the time, no matter what you're doing. It becomes in effect part of the sensory environment, so you can shift instantly from the world of people, cars, trees, etc., to the world on the phone screen.

However, I have a very simple Nokia when abroad, mostly for texting. It costs less than $20 new, and there are very serviceable second-hand ones for even less. Doesn't even have a camera, if I want to take pictures (not very often) I use a digital camera that costs about $100. You can buy mobile phones with cameras for less than that, but I think the digital camera provides more for the money. If I want to email, I use a laptop. If that is the new old-fashioned, so be it, I really don't understand how people can browse the internet on a device with a screen about the size of your palm, anyway.

Where I am, SE Asia, contracts are not so common. You just buy a load for a few dollars, and when it runs out, you buy another. So you never end up eating a lot of money when you leave.

End of Old Fogey's rant.

I agree with this. Before i had a smartphone i would spend the 3 hour journey i take each day with a book. Once i got the smartphone tmptation is always there to kill time by watching vids or go on forums or playing tetris or stuff like that. Thankfully though i.still.mostly read books other than when im not quite yet into a new book like now.

as for spending all day listening to music, i agree too its a new need and i don't know if people are really enjoying themselves spending their 2 hour commute listening to the same top 20 hits each day. Not.like a book where you can actually immerse yourself and forget you are on a bus/ train. Of course people do what they want and i won't deny them that right but like mcdonalds i consider it to be what js mill called a lower pleasure.

TRENDING THREADS